Sponsored

Hood strut install now hood sits lower?

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
This isn't going to solve anything. His hood is sitting low from front to back. OP, just disconnect the struts and see what happens.
The only thing I could think would be that before the struts the hood was "floating" on that side, suspended at three points (both rear hinges and one front stopper) and after the struts it is settling down all the way on that side settled on 4 points. It does seem odd without the rear hinge moving.
Sponsored

Madtel4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
21 MACH 1, HP 1064, 20 Ranger XLT & 20 Explorer ST
Not to hijack but did your ford strut only have alignment pins on the driver side? My passenger side wants to turn a little. PS my hood fits fine never moved.
Lee

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
Strange...I installed the same struts and kind of recall having to bend the hood a little to get the right alignment. That in turn cause the front corners to dip, and I adjusted the
fender part over the headlight down a bit to match. My car came from the factory with all sorts of mis-alignments. One thing I found is you can move the fender closer to the hood by simply grabbing the wheel well and pulling up and out, it will rotate the fender in closer to the hood. But your hood is also lower in the center.

I have a 15 and just got a new hood from Ford under warranty, When I went to pick the car up, it has the same look as yours, and flat spot on the drivers side that does not follow the fender line. Maybe they are stamped that way. The body shop wanted the paint to cure more before doing more adjustments, so mine is sitting a while looking sad...they told me not to bend the hood, that it will crack. I don't really believe that, unless you bend really far....

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I used these on my 2015 and they were great. It looks like Redline Tuning didn't bother to test fit these on a 2018 and maybe they didn't and didn't want to spend money on engineering a new version because they certainly don't fit my 2018 properly. My hood is also slightly lower on the left side but not as much as the OP and it's not really noticeable. The bigger issue is that the washer fluid line ended up getting pinched between the hood and the end of the strut which is attached to the fender. Also, the hole in the hood bracket doesn't line up with the washer fluid line attachment holes in the hood on the 2018. The instructions should have mentioned something about adjusting the slack on the washer fluid line to prevent the pinch. I did this myself after the fact. Finally, the brackets which are attached to the hood to prevent flex don't even make contact with the hood beyond the hood hinge point thus no flex support. This product quickly went from hero to zero. I am planning on getting my money back one way or another and replacing this garbage of a product with the Steeda hood struts.

QUF2ZwWl.jpg

YameV6Sl.jpg

Af5cXxcl.jpg

Last edited:

control4userguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
^Yeah, I noted all this in another thread. Fit is crap and not applicable with '18s on.

Sponsored

Allegro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2018 RC GT Premium
^Yeah, I noted all this in another thread. Fit is crap and not applicable with '18s on.
Owners are running into quite a few parts that suppliers just assume will fit 18s, because they fit MY15-17. Some of the CAI kits claiming to fit 18s clearly don't, as they bind on the sloped hood. I've also heard the GT350 steering wheels won't fit.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
I used these on my 2015 and they were great. It looks like Redline Tuning didn't bother to test fit these on a 2018 and maybe they didn't and didn't want to spend money on engineering a new version because they certainly don't fit my 2018 properly. My hood is also slightly lower on the left side but not as much as the OP and it's not really noticeable. The bigger issue is that the washer fluid line ended up getting pinched between the hood and the end of the strut which is attached to the fender. Also, the hole in the hood bracket doesn't line up with the washer fluid line attachment holes in the hood on the 2018. The instructions should have mentioned something about adjusting the slack on the washer fluid line to prevent the pinch. I did this myself after the fact. Finally, the brackets which are attached to the hood to prevent flex don't even make contact with the hood beyond the hood hinge point thus no flex support. This product quickly went from hero to zero. I am planning on getting my money back one way or another and replacing this garbage of a product with the Steeda hood struts.

QUF2ZwWl.jpg

YameV6Sl.jpg

Af5cXxcl.jpg

Actually, RedLine's on-line instructions show to reroute the washer fluid line on 2018 models. Maybe you got older written instructions that didn't include that. My Steeda ones seem to be ok, but they shorted me one of the neoprene pads that sit between the bracket and hood. I just put a piece of felt there, but I've now noticed after a few openings and closings that the hood bracket has rotated a little bit. It might be fine, but I'm going to call them tomorrow and have them send me another pad (I went to Wal-Mart, Lowe's, Home Depot, and Westlake and couldn't find any adhesive neoprene). The other side is fine, so I think the pad not only supports the hood but also helps prevent the hood bracket from rotating. With those tiny assed hood studs on the 2018, I don't want to cinch them down any tighter.

If I had it to do over, I think I would have just went to my dealer and had them install the Roush ones (they're also a Roush dealer). I like the way the hood brackets and fender brackets fasten on the Roush ones. Both points seem to be more solid.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I've also heard the GT350 steering wheels won't fit.
I'm patiently waiting for one or a knock off that fits.

But this the fun part of getting a refreshed model year early.

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Actually, RedLine's on-line instructions show to reroute the washer fluid line on 2018 models. Maybe you got older written instructions that didn't include that. My Steeda ones seem to be ok, but they shorted me one of the neoprene pads that sit between the bracket and hood. I just put a piece of felt there, but I've now noticed after a few openings and closings that the hood bracket has rotated a little bit. It might be fine, but I'm going to call them tomorrow and have them send me another pad (I went to Wal-Mart, Lowe's, Home Depot, and Westlake and couldn't find any adhesive neoprene). The other side is fine, so I think the pad not only supports the hood but also helps prevent the hood bracket from rotating. With those tiny assed hood studs on the 2018, I don't want to cinch them down any tighter.

If I had it to do over, I think I would have just went to my dealer and had them install the Roush ones (they're also a Roush dealer). I like the way the hood brackets and fender brackets fasten on the Roush ones. Both points seem to be more solid.
I just looked over the instructions again which came with the hood struts and there is nothing regarding rerouting the washer fluid line. Ordered a set of the Steeda ones and as soon as I get them the Redlines will be going either back to the vendor or in the trash. I actually don’t like the Roush ones. The entire design and mounting locations of those hood struts looks like a compromise just so they can claim that there is no drilling required.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
I just looked over the instructions again which came with the hood struts and there is nothing regarding rerouting the washer fluid line. Ordered a set of the Steeda ones and as soon as I get them the Redlines will be going either back to the vendor or in the trash. I actually don’t like the Roush ones. The entire design and mounting locations of those hood struts looks like a compromise just so they can claim that there is no drilling required.

Just like with the Steeda, they seem to be changing the instructions on the fly as people start having issues with the 2018's vs. 2015's through 2017's. I had just happened to read their instructions when I was looking for any helpful tidbits before I installed my Steeda ones. This doesn't seem to be an issue with the Steeda. They seem to clear fine. I had originally rerouted mine according to the updated RedLine instructions, but it made the line look really odd with the big bow in it, so once I confirmed they would clear, I returned it to the original routing which is pretty much straight up and down. I also did not route the line between the ball stud and the strut as mentioned in the RedLine instructions (the Steeda instructions don't say anything about this). Looks like us 2018 owners may just have to do a little experimenting. As far as the Roush ones, the hood bracket actually uses both hood bracket bolts which should be much more secure with no worries of rotating, and the fender bracket actually uses an existing bolt plus a smaller bolt in the existing hole which seems to me would be more secure (although I haven't checked mine to see if that bolt even exists on the 2018).

picture.png

Last edited:

Sponsored

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
Coyote Red 2016

The 2018 hood is a little differently designed just enough to affect some aftermarket mods, noted. My struts went on in 20 minutes and fit well.
tn_20180526_090557.jpg

OP
OP
Matco

Matco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 2018 Mustang GT 1996 Ford Bronco

QUF2ZwWl.jpg ]

I just went and looked at mine, its got the same pinched hose... :frusty:

OP
OP
Matco

Matco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Happy to help when you are ready!

TJ
[MENTION=7748]tj@steeda[/MENTION]Well looks like I'm ready LOL :cheers:
Are you guys having issues with the washer fluid line getting pinched? do you have any pictures of your set up installed on a 2018?

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I just went and looked at mine, its got the same pinched hose... :frusty:
I already have a return label in my email and the Steeda struts ordered. Of course after I placed my order Steeda sent me an email for a free T-Shirt on a $100+ order.:hail:

OP
OP
Matco

Matco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
I already have a return label in my email and the Steeda struts ordered. Of course after I placed my order Steeda sent me an email for a free T-Shirt on a $100+ order.:hail:
Im sure a quick PM to TJ and he could arrange that
Sponsored