Hood release 2019 EcoBoost Convertible

Sundyrse59

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Convertible EcoBoost Premium
My hood release is so hard to pull. In order to open my engine compartment, I feel like I am going to break the pull handle on the kick panel. I almost want to put a cheater bar on the handle to help me "pop" the hood release. It there an adjustment somewhere to make it easier to pull the release handle?
TIA
Sponsored

Hoofer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Boz
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Vert, PP1, MagneRide, ActiveExhaust, B&O
Lubricate the moving parts of the locking mechanism under the hood with a quality lubricant.
(Don’t use WD40, it’s not a lubricant.)

PB Blaster mfrs top quality products.

1716305008035-ua.jpg

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
Lubricate the moving parts of the locking mechanism under the hood with a quality lubricant.
(Don’t use WD40, it’s not a lubricant.)

PB Blaster mfrs top quality products.

1716305008035-ua.jpg
If wd40 isn't lubricant what is it I've used it forever as a lubricant.also use lithium and silican

markayash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
Also is it hard to latch the hood back..Do you have to slam it or push really hard. Might be too tight, not sure how to " loosen it" if that's the case

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sundyrse59

Sundyrse59

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
If wd40 isn't lubricant what is it I've used it forever as a lubricant.also use lithium and silican
In 1953, three employees of the Rocket Chemical Company in San Diego, California were trying to create a Water Displacement formula. when it was being created, they made 40 different formulas before they found one that worked. Because Water Displacement formula 40 would not fit right on a spray can, the name was shortened to WD 40.
As far a white Lithium grease, that actually is a good lubricant. It stays wet, and resist dirt. Silicone is an okay lubricant, except it attracts dirt, and should only be used in areas that are generally protected from dirt.

Farkel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT Premium PP1, 2012 Jeep JK, 2022 Harley 48
OP
OP
Sundyrse59

Sundyrse59

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Also is it hard to latch the hood back..Do you have to slam it or push really hard. Might be too tight, not sure how to " loosen it" if that's the case
The hood latches a little hard. I can let it down, but have to push hard a few times to get it to latch. I have learned to just let it drop from about 18 inches.

Farkel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
The hood latches a little hard. I can let it down, but have to push hard a few times to get it to latch. I have learned to just let it drop from about 18 inches.
The owner's manual says to let it drop under its own weight for 8-12 inches. I'm sure 18" is o.k. Beats denting the hood by pushing on it.

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
Something to look at. There are adjustable rubber bumper stops that determine the height the hood rests. If they’re up to high it could bind the latch, as the hood is under more tension.

Try rotating them down a revolution or two and see if that helps.

Sponsored

Farkel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
How did that make it less hard to pull?
Can't say for sure; probably has to do with the length and the shape of the billet lever. Ergonomics, I guess, but my arthritic hand and bony fingers definitely like it better. The stock one was hard to pull and required a hard pull. This one was immediately easier to pull and seemed to require less effort.

OP
OP
Sundyrse59

Sundyrse59

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Something to look at. There are adjustable

Try rotating them down a revolution or two and see if that helps.
Just wanted to follow-up with you. My hood stops appeared to be off. My left stop turned down 1½ turns before hitting bottom, the right stopped just ½ turn down. I realize they might be different heights to set the hood even with the fender. I greased the entire latch assembly with White Lithium grease. When I was a mechanic, we used it on every moving body part on a tractor, as well as the trailer parts.
Anyway....the hood is easier to pop the latch, but I bet my wife couldn't pop it. Lol, she doesn't drive my car anyway. She has her truck (for pulling the horse trailer.)
Sponsored