Hood latch issue

Chuckles the 3rd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT
Hello, I installed the Ford Performance hood strut kit. Since the install, my latch has been exceedingly stubborn. I have not found evidence that the hood shifters on the hinges and the gaps look good. I have tried moving the latch itself up and down but it only effects the hood height when latched, not the force that I have to push on the hood to get it to latch. I can no longer drop the hood from 6” or so to get it to latch itself. Anyone run into this issue or have advice?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Chuckles the 3rd

Chuckles the 3rd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT
Well, I got closure on the issue. I went out and saw that the hook on the hood was riding hard down the passenger side of the latch channel. I shifted the latch assembly approximately 1/8” to the passenger side and it latched perfectly.

I am not sure how I affected the latch during the install of the hood struts, but the body lines and gaps looked good so moving the latch was the best option.

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
Glad you found the issue...……… Since we are talking about hood latching issues, my hood was hard to close from day 1 of my purchase. I fiddled with all the bumpers and tried other adjustments, but nothing seemed to rectify the issue. I finally realized the hood latch needed to be removed and shimmed. I used a couple of small stainless steel washers behind the latch and has been perfect ever since. I did notice before the shimming, my hood edge was dipping below the rear edge of the front facia (if you can picture that). And now it sits perfectly flat.

The reason for me posting this is if another member has a similar issue, he/she may stumble on this quick fix.:)
Sponsored