Hood Flex??

quikcolin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP2
I'm not sure if that's what it's called, or if it even has a name... but here's what happened to me today.

I was on a country road with my 2020 GT PP2, I turned at a four way stop and gave it the beans. Redline through 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and as I shifted into 4th (guessing I was doing like 150km/h or so?) an oncoming transport truck and I passed each other. It was one of those older transport trucks that has a completely flat front end and had two full-sized trailers on it - serious rig. The wind impact was violent to say the least. The hood of my car "flexed" so much I thought for a second it was going to release and fly off. I was enough that I noticed the movement in the hood. Not the hinges, not at the hood latch, but the entire hood flexed. The whole hood bowed and then went right back to normal. Got home, looked at the front end of the car, the hood, hood vents, everything is perfect. But geez it "flexed" a lot in that turbulent wind wall I hit coming off that truck.

Anyone had this happen to them?
Sponsored

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Just for clarification you aren’t talking about hood shake right?

Hood shake usually happens when you reach high speeds but others have noted it happens when semi trucks pass by. Basically there are rubber bumpers that help the hood stay tight. On my 2015 gt they were loose and the hood would shake.

Try grabbing your hood and shaking it. It should feel really solid when it’s latched.

Saxgod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 2021 Bronco Sport Outerbanks
I'm not sure if that's what it's called, or if it even has a name... but here's what happened to me today.

I was on a country road with my 2020 GT PP2, I turned at a four way stop and gave it the beans. Redline through 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and as I shifted into 4th (guessing I was doing like 150km/h or so?) an oncoming transport truck and I passed each other. It was one of those older transport trucks that has a completely flat front end and had two full-sized trailers on it - serious rig. The wind impact was violent to say the least. The hood of my car "flexed" so much I thought for a second it was going to release and fly off. I was enough that I noticed the movement in the hood. Not the hinges, not at the hood latch, but the entire hood flexed. The whole hood bowed and then went right back to normal. Got home, looked at the front end of the car, the hood, hood vents, everything is perfect. But geez it "flexed" a lot in that turbulent wind wall I hit coming off that truck.

Anyone had this happen to them?
Yup I’ve seen this a few times…scared the crap out of me the first few times..thought the hood was going to flip on me. Usually its when I’m going faster than i should but wish there was a way to keep it from doing this.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Hood flutter was worse on the 2015-2017’s even at normal highway speeds. If you’re experiencing such on a 2018+, adjust the hood bumpers, the hood is probably sitting a little too high and allowing air under it at higher speeds.

Coming from my prior 2016 to my 2018, I’ve yet to see any hood flutter on my 2018 at any speed…. My prior 2016, hell just getting above 60mph the hood looked like it was going to fly off…

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Hood flutter was worse on the 2015-2017’s even at normal highway speeds.
I never once ever noticed any hood flutter.. and I've done some stupid fast top end runs. Now meeting a semi on the highway that's something else entirely. I had a 1971 Monte Carlo with a 10 yard long, 100lb hood do the same as the O/P described.

Sponsored

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Hood flutter was worse on the 2015-2017’s even at normal highway speeds. If you’re experiencing such on a 2018+, adjust the hood bumpers, the hood is probably sitting a little too high and allowing air under it at higher speeds.

Coming from my prior 2016 to my 2018, I’ve yet to see any hood flutter on my 2018 at any speed…. My prior 2016, hell just getting above 60mph the hood looked like it was going to fly off…
Ya hood flutter is what it’s called. Was really bad on my 2015 till the dealership guy showed me how to adjust the bumpers.

Risto2G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP2, Recaro, B&O K7 GSXR750
Weird. I have a 2019 PP2 and may or may not have topped it out on multiple runs and didn't notice any hood shake or flex or anything. I'm guessing the truck threw off the aero flow putting more pressure on the hood than "normal" operation. Probably a one off.

Orange devil

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro,toyoda
I never once ever noticed any hood flutter.. and I've done some stupid fast top end runs. Now meeting a semi on the highway that's something else entirely. I had a 1971 Monte Carlo with a 10 yard long, 100lb hood do the same as the O/P described.
More Heavy metal in that classic hood then at today's ford's dealership.

OP
OP
quikcolin

quikcolin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP2
It's never happened before, that's even at significantly higher speeds than I was going in the above situation. I think it was just a perfect storm of a windy day, a massive truck and the perfect angle...

Saying that I will check those rubber bumpers - thanks guys!

DaveR.PP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
20 Mustang GT PP2 ; 67 Shelby GT350; 67 Mustang S Code Coupe; 88 Mustang LX 5.0 Coupe
No. I'm looking far ahead at those speeds because I'm where I'm looking in no time at all. It's enough for me going that fast on track let alone have some big ass truck blow me a wall of wind.

But no for me.
Sponsored