Honey Badger's Completely Off-the-Rails Race Car Build and Track Adventure Thread

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Wish your interior camera was a bit lower

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Wish your interior camera was a bit lower
Are you talking about the one on my helmet or the one from the first video (in-between the seats)?

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Are you talking about the one on my helmet or the one from the first video (in-between the seats)?
The one between the seats. See a lot of the rear view mirror :)

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
The one between the seats. See a lot of the rear view mirror :)
Hehe. I seriously can't win. Too short for helmet cam to work, so that's a no-go. When I added the competition seat for passengers, I lost my ability to use the seat for the mount (had a great seat mount for the OEM seats). When I added the halo seat for myself, it blocked so much of the view that mounting on the roll bar no longer works. And when I tried mounting it on the rear side window, the glare from the a-pillar practically made the camera explode.

All that said.....I. Will.Prevail...........eventually

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Hehe. I seriously can't win. Too short for helmet cam to work, so that's a no-go. When I added the competition seat for passengers, I lost my ability to use the seat for the mount (had a great seat mount for the OEM seats). When I added the halo seat for myself, it blocked so much of the view that mounting on the roll bar no longer works. And when I tried mounting it on the rear side window, the glare from the a-pillar practically made the camera explode.

I keep ducking down to improve the view. For some reason, that didn't work :)

TheDeadCow

Just some guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hot Rod
Vehicle Showcase

I now mount my gorpo with a suction mount directly underneath the rear view mirror. Easy and great view.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I keep ducking down to improve the view. For some reason, that didn't work :)
Ahh, so I'm not the only one!

https://rhrperf.com/splitter-scuff-plates-dome-only/

Something like this may help your splitter. You may want to consider raising the ride height instead of constantly replacing splitters etc.

Good stuff man, keep it up :beer::clap:
Oohh, these are a good option. I'd thought about the ZL1 Addons, but wasn't too into the mounting method since they'd show screws on the top side of the splitter. These look like a nice clean install. Might have to give these a shot.

I now mount my gorpo with a suction mount directly underneath the rear view mirror. Easy and great view.
I'll give this a try this upcoming track day. I really liked the rear side window view and it worked great until the same came out. Got one more trick to try before I give up. The only challenge with the middle of the windshield is the mic chord. But I think I have an idea about that.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Hi all,

Another update. Over the weekend I also did a compression test on the car to see how things were looking. Great way to see how the spark plugs are looking and make sure we're not losing compression on one of the cylinders. Fortunately, the plugs looked great and the compression results show less than a 5% spread. Really happy with these results. I have about 18K miles on this motor--with about 10K being track miles. So far, it looks like mine is a good one.

And for anyone wondering, compression tests on the GT350 are just as easy a key-start car. Just pulled fuses 48 and 49 (fuel pump), open the throttle, and push the button. One push will start turning the engine over and a second push will stop it (car will turn over 6-7 times before turning itself off).

I found it surprisingly hard to find an answer to "How to compression test a push button start car?" While I had a pretty good idea how it would work, I was still wishing I could have watched someone else do it first. So I recorded a short video for folks to reference in the future. It works exactly as you'd expect, but now you have proof!

Results below

20181030_192032.jpg

20181030_192042.jpg

20181030_192053.jpg

Lurker_350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
Holy crap - I forget how high compression these engines are compared to an OEM turbo engine. I think my 2004 WRX (150k miles) has like 140 psi compression last time I checked.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Holy crap - I forget how high compression these engines are compared to an OEM turbo engine. I think my 2004 WRX (150k miles) has like 140 psi compression last time I checked.
Yeah - me too. I was expecting 180 or so. Imagine my surprised when it went to 240 on the first cylinder :shock:

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Kevin...your posts continue to impress the shit out of me. Keep up the good work!

Tob

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
What software are you using for your video editing? I have some gopro footage, but it is divided into 11 minute portions (recorded at 1080p60, and it will start a new file once about 3+ GB has been recorded). I need something where I can stitch the files back together. Also, do you have recommendations for the output format to keep file size manageable?

Great to see you still going strong out there.

-T

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Kevin...your posts continue to impress the shit out of me. Keep up the good work!

Tob
Thanks, Tob. Means a lot. Have quite a bit more planned with the car, so hoping it'll continue to be a fun ride to share with folks :)

What software are you using for your video editing? I have some gopro footage, but it is divided into 11 minute portions (recorded at 1080p60, and it will start a new file once about 3+ GB has been recorded). I need something where I can stitch the files back together. Also, do you have recommendations for the output format to keep file size manageable?

Great to see you still going strong out there.

-T
I am using a mix of Adobe's Premier Elements to make adjustments for lighting, color, etc. (if you think the sunglare was bad in the final product of my COTA days, you should have seen it before) and for the longer videos. I then use Race Render to do the data overlay from my AIm device.

Are you doing data gathering? Or just video? Race Render can link together your GoPro videos automatically (it detects the sequence when you load the first video).