Sponsored

Hissing noise near the Throttle Body and Front Intake Manifold

Party Rock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
For those who have a 2015-2020 Mustang GT, has anyone ever noticed a light "hissing" noise coming from the front of the Intake Manifold and Throttle Body when the engine is idle? Is this normal?

I popped my hood open with the engine on and just noticed the hissing today. I've only popped my hood a couple times with the engine on ever since I removed the plastic engine cover. I'm not sure if the plastic engine cover was covering up the noise back when I had it on. I don't remember my Mustang having this sound, however I did not really pay attention until now.

Here is a video of the sound. It's kind of hard to identify the noise through video so you have to listen closely, but it's noticeable in person.

Before the "it's a Shelby" comments appear...no, it's not a Shelby! :giggle:

Sponsored

mustangpegasus51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Check your build date. If it was between 9/10 and 9/19 2018 you may be in line for a new throttle body: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10153983-9999.pdf

EDIT: I think I read your post to late at night; I thought you mentioned throttle body clicking. Listening to the video this morning I agree with @Elp_jc your engine sounds smooth as butter tbh. Many owners on here would be jealous. XD

However I do still suggest at least knowing your build date just in case. If your TB was going bad or you had a bad vacuum leak you'd likely notice driveability issues.

Last edited:

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Can't hear anything wrong with that engine; at least from that recording. It actually sounds quite good, and no tick :). My Bullitt doesn't have an engine cover, so that's a good car to compare your engine to.

OP
OP
Party Rock

Party Rock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
Check your build date. If it was between 9/10 and 9/19 2018 you may be in line for a new throttle body: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10153983-9999.pdf

EDIT: I think I read your post to late at night; I thought you mentioned throttle body clicking. Listening to the video this morning I agree with @Elp_jc your engine sounds smooth as butter tbh. Many owners on here would be jealous. XD

However I do still suggest at least knowing your build date just in case. If your TB was going bad or you had a bad vacuum leak you'd likely notice driveability issues.
Thank you for the link. I looked at my build date and it is November 2018. No check engine lights.

damondewaynehuff84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Performance Package

Hell my car is a 17 gt and the throttle body has been clicking loud enough to hear it without even popping the hood! Its been that way for over a year. I think its whats causing my issues now though so im gonna look into getting it replaced with a new one

Sponsored

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Yes my 16 does it same area. Thought maybe a cracked manifold as they are plastic. Looked everywhere for a leak. Tried butane gas and no changes. Been this way for a long time.

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium California Special
I have a 2020 mustang gt, California edition, automatic, and I have the same hissing noise from the engine bay. It sounds like an air leak. 3500 miles.

Dozolol

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Orange Fury
I’m having the same noise same area. Did we all decide this was normal? Or did anyone get a new throttle body?

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
For those who have a 2015-2020 Mustang GT, has anyone ever noticed a light "hissing" noise coming from the front of the Intake Manifold and Throttle Body when the engine is idle? Is this normal?

I popped my hood open with the engine on and just noticed the hissing today. I've only popped my hood a couple times with the engine on ever since I removed the plastic engine cover. I'm not sure if the plastic engine cover was covering up the noise back when I had it on. I don't remember my Mustang having this sound, however I did not really pay attention until now.

Here is a video of the sound. It's kind of hard to identify the noise through video so you have to listen closely, but it's noticeable in person.

A hissing noise, huh?
...isn't a Shelby Cobra by chance?????

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
...sorry.

Couldn't resist.......................... :like:

Sponsored

Dozolol

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Orange Fury
Came back due to notifications saying someone replied to the thread. Wasn’t disappointed. Still interested in what the noise might be.

Torino500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 PP1 GT
My '20 GT hisses for the first minute or two after a cold start then it goes away. My '96 F150 5.8L did the same thing. The hiss was coming from the IAC valve next to the throttle body.

glockholiday

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
"at your own risk" the old school trick is to spray starting fluid or brake cleaner (something flammable) around the area you think there might be a vacuum leak. If there is a vacuum leak it will get sucked in and make the car rev up or stumble. If no vacuum leak then you're just hearing air flow turbulence from somewhere

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd

Did you ever figure this out? I have the same hissing on my 2020.

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium California Special
Did you ever figure this out? I have the same hissing on my 2020.
Yes, sorry for the late post. When I brought my car into the dealership for the first service, they said it was a normal noise coming from the AC compressor.
Sponsored