OP

Lewis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lewis
Vehicle(s)
BMW 530e - But on the hunt for my 1st Mustang
Have you considered looking at all you finances as a whole rather than just the car aspect of your finances ?

Mortgage rates are (were ? I've not checked for a while) very low with a % much lower than the numbers being quoted above.

I know everyone's circumstances are different, but if equity allows - take a fixed rate over a timeframe that suits ?

Just throwing another idea out there for you :like:

WD :like:
Good Shout WD. Definitely something to look at. Cheers :)
Sponsored

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
Further to the above I belive the 10s auto is far superior to the 6. Maybe drive an auto and a manual see what you prefer? What we have done to secure a low apr is play the system. Bought a golf R on pcp as they offered two free services and paid the full amount off next day with a loan we got for 2.9 percent. You can also play with the amounts as its sometimes cheaper to borrow more and then just pay the excess off next day.

Good luck in your search, if you go for a pre face-lift budget for a exhaust, the noise as standard doesn't do the car justice. I put a full borla cat back touring on from nemesis and it as Richard Hammond said once, it makes my tinkle fizz.

marzman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
MY17 Grabber Blue GT
Why are you thinking of selling yours Marzman? Are you upgrading or getting out of Mustang ownership?
So £10k equity after selling the BMW, but still owe £8k... so £2k net equity? a £25k loan is only £448 a month over 5 years...

I'm not 100% certain that i'm selling mine yet... i've had it 3 years and just fancy a change. I'm considering a Mercedes AMG GT to be honest, but will probably wimp out. :crackup:

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning blue S550 Coyote convertible
I think you need to go and do some reading up on the known issues the cars have then start making enquiries ruling them out based on your research. For every car that's got a problem you'll find ones that haven't and being an enthusiasts car you'll find better examples out there by spending the time looking rather than rushing in with bags of enthusiasm only to find out later it had the oil cooler go west and you've just bought someones half-fixed hastily chopped in car.

The 6 speed auto is a good gearbox and clunky ones can be reset (they adapt to a drivers particular style which is why they get mixed shift quality. Hire cars are the worst!) but you'd need to drive one for yourself to determine if they're right for you.

A shorter list of things to watch out for (but there's a longer list available on the forum if you search)

Oil cooler failure - some cars got new engines, some cars just got an engine flush
Water leaks - front bulkhead missing a grommet, A pillar seal not sitting right or rear screen not sealed properly
V8 BBQ tick - well documented, not many known of in the UK fortunately
Aircon condenser failure - dash out job to repair
Aluminium corrosion - can be a nightmare to get Ford to cover under their 10 year corrosion warranty (some get painted and come back, some get new panels to repair properly)

Then there's a list of smaller things such as puddle lamps, P Zero's being sketchy in the cold and damp, Michelin PS4's being a bonus, manual gearboxes getting a bit rough etc.

OP
OP

Lewis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lewis
Vehicle(s)
So £10k equity after selling the BMW, but still owe £8k... so £2k net equity? a £25k loan is only £448 a month over 5 years...
No, I'd have £10k equity. Had an offer of £18k on the BM and I owe £8k to the bank. Looks as though Tescos and Post Office are doing £25k loans at between 2.8% - 3.0%, which is better than any PCP or HP deal with the dealer.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Lewis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lewis
Vehicle(s)
I think you need to go and do some reading up on the known issues the cars have then start making enquiries ruling them out based on your research. For every car that's got a problem you'll find ones that haven't and being an enthusiasts car you'll find better examples out there by spending the time looking rather than rushing in with bags of enthusiasm only to find out later it had the oil cooler go west and you've just bought someones half-fixed hastily chopped in car.

The 6 speed auto is a good gearbox and clunky ones can be reset (they adapt to a drivers particular style which is why they get mixed shift quality. Hire cars are the worst!) but you'd need to drive one for yourself to determine if they're right for you.

A shorter list of things to watch out for (but there's a longer list available on the forum if you search)

Oil cooler failure - some cars got new engines, some cars just got an engine flush
Water leaks - front bulkhead missing a grommet, A pillar seal not sitting right or rear screen not sealed properly
V8 BBQ tick - well documented, not many known of in the UK fortunately
Aircon condenser failure - dash out job to repair
Aluminium corrosion - can be a nightmare to get Ford to cover under their 10 year corrosion warranty (some get painted and come back, some get new panels to repair properly)

Then there's a list of smaller things such as puddle lamps, P Zero's being sketchy in the cold and damp, Michelin PS4's being a bonus, manual gearboxes getting a bit rough etc.
All good advice thanks Tim. It's really hard to be patient about this, but you're right, I should take my time. If buying from a distance (not ideal I know, but I don't want to limit myself to a certain part of the country), would you just send a list of the known more serious issues (Oil Cooler & Air-con) to the dealer and ask the, to confirm if there is a history of any of those issues with the car and hope they tell the truth? Or pay for someone to go and inspect the car?

Would you recommend getting an extended warranty with Ford?

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I suspect most of the earlier 2016 Mustangs that had the puddle light and oil cooler issues have already failed and been replaced.

The 6R80 is probably the worst transmission

10R80 > TR-3160 > MT82 > 6R80

Luckily before the face lift there wasn't too many choices

Manual or Auto (+£2k)
Fastback or Convertible (+£3.5k)
2.3T or 5.0 V8
Standard black trim or Custom pack (All 3 options with a silver trim)
3 options of heated/cooled seats, sat-nav and rear parking sensors

Colours vary every year or so

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning blue S550 Coyote convertible
All good advice thanks Tim. It's really hard to be patient about this, but you're right, I should take my time. If buying from a distance (not ideal I know, but I don't want to limit myself to a certain part of the country), would you just send a list of the known more serious issues (Oil Cooler & Air-con) to the dealer and ask the, to confirm if there is a history of any of those issues with the car and hope they tell the truth? Or pay for someone to go and inspect the car?

Would you recommend getting an extended warranty with Ford?
You can email them and get the responses back in writing, they‘ll probably phone you to avoid any future comeback. Ford should be able to tell you if a car has had any warranty work done on it. Again the mor should have in writing the better incase you need it for an issue in future.

Extended warranties are a tough one, some cars had the Ford extended warranty from point of first purchase, any other extended warranty will be insurance based.

Best thing you can do is look at cars and get used to asking all the questions, looking at the evidence, taking your time to inspect the cars. You’ll then get a feel for a good car and ones that aren’t.

The 6R80 is probably the worst transmission

10R80 > TR-3160 > MT82 > 6R80
Yeah I agree, apart from the fact the 6R80 isn’t made from cheese like the manuals seem to be 😉 And it’s still a ZF gearbox which is pretty decent 😉

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dacia Logan MCV
If you have a good local mechanic then buy the cheapest V8 you can find. They all go wrong, gearboxes are much of a muchness, and it's simply the looks and sound that counts.

OP
OP

Lewis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lewis
Vehicle(s)
If you have a good local mechanic then buy the cheapest V8 you can find. They all go wrong, gearboxes are much of a muchness, and it's simply the looks and sound that counts.
Good point. Not many cheap ones out there at the moment and they seem to be selling like hot cakes. I have a thing for the magnetic grey colour and came across this one

https://www.cargurus.co.uk/Cars/inv...Helper.selectedEntity=d3802#listing=146031578

Interested to get anyone's thoughts on whether it looks like a good option. I can see from the little tweaks (such as door catch and anchor covers) that it's actually been well looked after. Bit far away for me to go and look at, so would be a blind purchase. Having a massive battle with the other half about getting one however. Doing my nut in!

Sponsored

Silver Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
GT 5.0 mannual
That one definitely looks overpriced for a 67 plate. I bought my Nov17 plate (manual admittedly) in November 2019 from a main dealer for £30500.

Need to wait for this one to come down in price some more or look elsewhere.

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I have a thing for the magnetic grey colour and came across this one
You won't be disappointed with magnetic grey :sunglasses:

A nice example for sure on that link but defo overpriced. A little more justified if the mileage was under 10k maybe. Does have all the optional extras though which is cool.

I can see the headlights have had the tribar lights added, and obviously the taillights are aftermarket. Given some of the horror stories of some of the headlight mods, I'd be a bit wary of any you find like that. I'd want the original headlights/taillights if I was to go for that particular one.

OP
OP

Lewis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lewis
Vehicle(s)
That one definitely looks overpriced for a 67 plate. I bought my Nov17 plate (manual admittedly) in November 2019 from a main dealer for £30500.

Need to wait for this one to come down in price some more or look elsewhere.
That's what I thought, but it just seems that the price of them is going up at the moment instead of the other way, which is making my life much harder at the moment :(

OP
OP

Lewis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lewis
Vehicle(s)
You won't be disappointed with magnetic grey :sunglasses:

A nice example for sure on that link but defo overpriced. A little more justified if the mileage was under 10k maybe. Does have all the optional extras though which is cool.

I can see the headlights have had the tribar lights added, and obviously the taillights are aftermarket. Given some of the horror stories of some of the headlight mods, I'd be a bit wary of any you find like that. I'd want the original headlights/taillights if I was to go for that particular one.
Yeah I just think it looks so nice in that colour with the black wheels etc... Maybe even a subtle black stripe added for good measure :)

Thanks for the advice on that particular one. What would be a realistic price for it in your view?

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Yeah I just think it looks so nice in that colour with the black wheels etc... Maybe even a subtle black stripe added for good measure :)

Thanks for the advice on that particular one. What would be a realistic price for it in your view?
Ooh you have good taste sir. I've always been a fan of the oem faded stripes. Not sure if they are still available though.

Hmm well, let's consider what it cost new...mine was a touch under £39k (manual), and I only had the shaker audio & sat nav as an extra. As a result, being under the £40k(?) threshold for new car tax, I only pay something like £145 a year road tax. Do check what the tax is on that one. Expect that brand new that would have been around £41k

Given the mileage and the fact that it has been modified (that never really adds value anyway), if I was buying, I'd want to be near £30k for that, or that's what I would offer. I think that's fair. Important to enquire about any warranty work as well. If it's as clean as it looks with only those minor cosmetic mods, I think that's a good buy for £30k. Warranty would be up as well, so that's something else to consider.
Sponsored