Sponsored

Help with ordering 2016 or 2017 GT350R

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
Could be worse, OP didn't try the reverse psychology of "any smart dealers out there"
Sponsored

ohtobbad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
And I also wonder............IF..............they were going to make only a hundred "R"s...........and you were absolutely unable to get one of those one hundred......would you be commending Ford for their decision to do such ?
If you got the R yes, if you didn't NO.:thumbsup:

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
I guess what I was thinking was that.........if they had made the "R" like the 1993, 1995, and 2000 "R's, with no A/C, radio etc, there might not be as many people chomping at the bit to get one. And if and "R" is basically a loaded GT350, why not make it more readily available to more people? And if people want to say "well, they wanted to make it rare", why not just make a hundred of them.......there were only 250 '95 R's and 300 2000 R's.......and they were one year only production. It WOULD be interesting to know who and how the decision was made at Ford....and for sure, someone knows......but can probably never say.
Those are rational questions... You can have the R both ways. That's a compliment, not a hindrance. If you're able to get an R you have a choice. For some guys, they want to enjoy it with their families and not necessarily just at the track. That's a fair deal to offer electronics on the car for those...

The car has amenities that designate limited production... I.e., CF wheels, thus production is limited not only by Ford's request but likely due to those as well.

As for the concern regarding the old R's vs the new R's, Owens stated from the outset that they would follow the 12/13 B302/LS plans for the 350/R. What Ford chooses to do is what Ford chooses to do. If you can get an R good on you... If you can get a 350 good on you as well. I'm sure there are a crowd that would love to have either one but due to one issue or another simply can't.

Bagman

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Strange
My gosh there is a lot of BS with getting an R. For what people say you must pay to get one you could have a C7 Z06 which runs the table on the
R.

OP
OP

bfit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Edge Sport, 1966 mustang gt
Maybe..but the Shelby and Mustang in general ..is hands down the better looking car.....of course I am bias....

Sponsored

KCRay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
To me it appears that Chevrolet has done with the Z06 what Ford is preventing with the "R".....there are 3 to 4 ebay pages FULL of new Z06's for sale......and down the road that will do nothing for the value of a Z06........market, flooded. Ford chooses just the opposite approach - don't make enough for the people that want them and make them fight over (ADM) what you do make........I'm just not sure that there isn't a happy medium somewhere ? The ADM on a Z06 was VERY short lived.......and it will probably last longer on an "R".....but there are probably people who would have bought a GT350 in the R variety, that will move on to some other "new, exciting toy" before "R"s become accessible.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
...but there are probably people who would have bought a GT350 in the R variety, that will move on to some other "new, exciting toy" before "R"s become accessible.
So the 500 or so people who will get an R don't deserve them?

That is the auto industry... Sometimes you make a hit and a few people are "All or nothing!" If the R is the only reason they would buy a 350 then they don't truly appreciate the 350 as a whole.

KCRay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
Of course they deserve them..........in fact most of them were willing to pay very large ADM to get them.......but anybody that thinks that next year all the magazines and people won't be raving about something new doesn't know the automotive world very well.....and it may, or may not be a Ford product, who knows. And if the R is truly such a "better" GT350......would it be so terrible to allow more people to have a "better" GT350? And from your list of FINE Mustang products - I don't see many 6 cylinder automatics in there - looks like someone is an "all or nothing" collector to me? And I don't think that is to be faulted?
All I can say for sure is that if the difference, driving-wise, between a base GT350 and an R is as big as the magazines say, and as was the difference between a 2000 Cobra and a Cobra R (from my own experience) then "all or nothing" may not be a bad thing? So just out of curiosity, if you would have been absolutely unable to get an R...(and you saw other people who were).....would you have been as excited about getting a base GT350 ? (or would you have "wished" you could have gotten an R?)

geb78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
Those are rational questions... You can have the R both ways. That's a compliment, not a hindrance. If you're able to get an R you have a choice. For some guys, they want to enjoy it with their families and not necessarily just at the track. That's a fair deal to offer electronics on the car for those...

The car has amenities that designate limited production... I.e., CF wheels, thus production is limited not only by Ford's request but likely due to those as well.

As for the concern regarding the old R's vs the new R's, Owens stated from the outset that they would follow the 12/13 B302/LS plans for the 350/R. What Ford chooses to do is what Ford chooses to do. If you can get an R good on you... If you can get a 350 good on you as well. I'm sure there are a crowd that would love to have either one but due to one issue or another simply can't.
Drumreaper hit the nail on the head for me. I wanted a car that could tear up the track but also wanted something I could cruise with my kids. They'd kill me if they couldn't enjoy the car with me. Don't all cringe but I will be putting the rear seat back in. Depending on the effort involved it may be something that I take in and out on race day. Although I am a fan of the Z06, it's mass produced, 2 seats, and I still have some hair left on the top of my head before I go that route.

ohtobbad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Of course they deserve them..........in fact most of them were willing to pay very large ADM to get them.......but anybody that thinks that next year all the magazines and people won't be raving about something new doesn't know the automotive world very well.....and it may, or may not be a Ford product, who knows. And if the R is truly such a "better" GT350......would it be so terrible to allow more people to have a "better" GT350? And from your list of FINE Mustang products - I don't see many 6 cylinder automatics in there - looks like someone is an "all or nothing" collector to me? And I don't think that is to be faulted?
All I can say for sure is that if the difference, driving-wise, between a base GT350 and an R is as big as the magazines say, and as was the difference between a 2000 Cobra and a Cobra R (from my own experience) then "all or nothing" may not be a bad thing? So just out of curiosity, if you would have been absolutely unable to get an R...(and you saw other people who were).....would you have been as excited about getting a base GT350 ? (or would you have "wished" you could have gotten an R?)
If I could not have gotten the R, I would have bought the GT350 with the Track pack. I feel fortunate to have been able to get one.
It doesn't make me better, just luckier :)

Sponsored

gravedgr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Suspension, magnetic shocks, rear seat delete, spoiler/front splitter (usable downforce), and yes, the wheels. Every review has states that the R feels very different than the GT350. So no, not about the "prestige" could not care less about what other people think about my vehicle. I want what will make me happy, and the R will. Also, yes, I plan on going to VIR in the car.
How about you bring your R down to Road Atlanta. If I can't lap my 350 faster than your R, I'll buy you dinner. ;)

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Drumreaper hit the nail on the head for me. I wanted a car that could tear up the track but also wanted something I could cruise with my kids. They'd kill me if they couldn't enjoy the car with me. Don't all cringe but I will be putting the rear seat back in. Depending on the effort involved it may be something that I take in and out on race day. Although I am a fan of the Z06, it's mass produced, 2 seats, and I still have some hair left on the top of my head before I go that route.
I'll be putting in a rear seat too, just for the kiddos. :cheers:

KCRay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
"So the 500 or so people who will get an R don't deserve them?"
I guess there is a "flip side" to that question...........does that mean that anyone that was not able to get an R, doesn't deserve one?
I like ohtobbad's response "It doesn't make me better, just luckier"

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"So the 500 or so people who will get an R don't deserve them?"
I guess there is a "flip side" to that question...........does that mean that anyone that was not able to get an R, doesn't deserve one?
I like ohtobbad's response "It doesn't make me better, just luckier"
If this were a logical argument I'd argue but it feels like I'm being drawn into an illegitimate debate.

People who arrived early and got an order in are entitled to what they got... R or non-R. Doesn't make a difference to me. After my drive at Sebring, I would've been fine with a Track Pack but yes, I got lucky, praise God.

rahtid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
Some of you sound immature and some sound like straight up haters. You order what you want and can afford, simple as that.

The main reason why I got the R was because it's the only one that combines the best of track pack and tech pack in one. The track pack was missing the big screen/toggles and the tech pack didn't have the nice recaros, rear spoiler and magne ride. The R with electronics has everything I want and more.
Sponsored