Sponsored

Help! Rear caliper piston wont compress

CoolRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Took the rear calipers off to paint them and the right rear caliper piston won't compress far enough to reinstall. I am using the caliper tool I rented from O'Reilly's. I've used these tools before with good success but this piston only turns maybe a half turn before it stops. It just needs to compress maybe another 1/8" but it won't budge.

The caliper has very little to no brake fluid in it. I drained them when I removed them from the car.

Any tips?!?!
Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; Are you sure bout two things? One is the pistion the type that presses in or the type that has to be turned (screwed) in. My car has the screw in sort.
The other is to be sure the piston is square in the bore of the cylinder? Being cocked a little will cause a jam. Look at the surface of the cylinder to check for irregularities.
Had a pickup caliper in which the factory piston did not want to smoothly go into. Would only go in about half way. I used a hone on a drill at low speed to work the inner surface. I do not know what happened to cause the issue.
good luck

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Since it's off the car take it apart and clean it. Probably will need new seals but should replace them anyway.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Since it's off the car take it apart and clean it. Probably will need new seals but should replace them anyway.
Either this (rebuild kit) or a new caliper. You might need to hone the bore and deburr the piston if there are burrs from the piston getting jammed in there. You definitely want the piston to move freely before you reinstall.

Sponsored

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
Took the rear calipers off to paint them and the right rear caliper piston won't compress far enough to reinstall. I am using the caliper tool I rented from O'Reilly's. I've used these tools before with good success but this piston only turns maybe a half turn before it stops. It just needs to compress maybe another 1/8" but it won't budge.

The caliper has very little to no brake fluid in it. I drained them when I removed them from the car.

Any tips?!?!
When I have to compress a caliper, I always open the bleed valve some before I compress the caliper puck. Then after install I do a quick bleed. Good luck

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
OP
OP
CoolRod

CoolRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
You have to screw these pistons in on the rear. Amazon has a kit that you can use, https://www.amazon.com/BTSHUB-Professional-Caliper-Compression-Replacement/dp/B08G1QLCXK/ref=sr_1_3?crid=BMRTXALW3BYJ&keywords=piston+screw+brake&qid=1705277118&sprefix=piston+screw+brake,aps,111&sr=8-3

You can do it with needle nose pliers if you are careful, just put the noses in the indentations on the piston and screw it in.
I used a kit a similar kit that I rented from the parts store. What ended up working for me was loosening the brake line banjo bolt. I guess that released the "pressure" inside the caliper. Never had that problem before so I will have to remember that next time.

OP
OP
CoolRod

CoolRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
When I have to compress a caliper, I always open the bleed valve some before I compress the caliper puck. Then after install I do a quick bleed. Good luck
This is what ultimately ended up working for me.

Sponsored

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
This is what ultimately ended up working for me.
Sorry I didn't reply faster. My normal practice of opening the bleed screw when compressing us mostly to bleed the fluid in the caliper. Later

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
My normal practice of opening the bleed screw when compressing us mostly to bleed the fluid in the caliper. Later
Also prevents blowing the master cylinder seals.