Help needed choosing spring/shock setup

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
I've got a '17 GT with 86k miles on the the base suspension, and I'm looking to choose the best and most affordable spring/shock setup that offers a minimum drop, improved handling over stock, and doesn't negatively impact ride quality too much, as subjective as that tends to be. I don't want it to be bouncy and floaty like it is now, but I also don't want it to be sharp or harsh either.

I think I'm going to go with BMR's SP763 springs because Steeda have been out of their minimum drop springs for some time, and I don't want to use progressive springs again (unless someone has an alternative recommendation?)

And for shocks and struts, I genuinely cannot understand how to pair them to springs based on the spring rate. Nor do I completely understand the correlation between the two variables and ride quality.

Any help and experience would be appreciated šŸ˜…
Sponsored

steathv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2022 California Special
GT 350 194 lb front springs, with Ford Racing track struts, stock rear springs with Koni active rear shocks. GT350 front sway bar, Hotchkiss rear sway bar set on soft.

Good street setup

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Karl,

Let me see when if I can get an update on the Min Drop Springs.

TJ

SilverNv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Myles
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
The ford performance struts and shock kit is a great value and a way to get proper dampers on your car. The springs donā€™t necessarily need to be replaced with proper dampers, but a minimum drop and 200/800 spring rate (steeda or j&m springs) is a great way to get a sports car feel rather than brake dive and a bouncy ride. lots of info and reviews on this forum if you search

Last edited:

CRS77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I have the Ford performance track handling shocks and struts, Steeda minimum drop springs, strut tower brace and cowl extension. Also installed the steeda stop the hop kit and have been very happy with the results.
It definitely got rid of the floaty and bouncy feeling. I do not find it harsh at all.

Sponsored

NKNEFA6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT and a couple of beaters.
You don't want progressive? Steeda ultralites are linear. I just upgraded my 16 GT PP with all Steeda suspension, adj. shocks/struts, linear ultralite springs, camber plates, roll center arms, bumpsteer, rear mounts, and IRS dowels/spacers. Took about 4hrs to install everything on jackstands, the most difficult part was clocking the bushings in the rear. Be careful with the subframe bolts as they seem easy to cross thread. As most would agree, the IRS alignment kit is worth adding as the tall stock springs do pretty much require dropping the rear SF. I'm not sure if the harshness increased as the delivery is sudden but the drama is less (less bounce) you feel the bump, then thats it (I am using the poly race bumpstops sooo). I also went from 19 inch 40 aspect to 20 inch 35 aspect wheel/tire combo.

OP
OP
K-Roll302

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
Hey Karl,

Let me see when if I can get an update on the Min Drop Springs.

TJ
Please, if you can! I appreciate it!

The ford performance struts and shock kit is a great value and a way to get proper dampers on your car. The springs donā€™t necessarily need to be replaced with proper dampers, but a minimum drop and 200/800 spring rate (steeda or j&m springs) is a great way to get a sports car feel rather than brake dive and a bouncy ride. Plots of info and reviews on this forum if you search
Thatā€™s the track kit right? The ā€œtrackā€ nomenclature made me shy away from them because Iā€™d like to prioritize comfort a bit more than I did but with my previous Mustangā€™s setup.

I have the Ford performance track handling shocks and struts, Steeda minimum drop springs, strut tower brace and cowl extension. Also installed the steeda stop the hop kit and have been very happy with the results.
It definitely got rid of the floaty and bouncy feeling. I do not find it harsh at all.
Minus the stop the hop kit, your setup is kind of what Iā€™m going for at minimum. Removing the bounce and float without sacrificing too much comfort.

The ā€œtrackā€ in the name ha been a turn off for me because Iā€™d assumed they were more for track and AutoX use. And my car has been to an AutoX once in the 2.5 years Iā€™ve owned it.

Though, the one thing I do like about that pack is that it comes with just about everything to refresh the suspension.

You don't want progressive? Steeda ultralites are linear. I just upgraded my 16 GT PP with all Steeda suspension, adj. shocks/struts, linear ultralite springs, camber plates, roll center arms, bumpsteer, rear mounts, and IRS dowels/spacers. Took about 4hrs to install everything on jackstands, the most difficult part was clocking the bushings in the rear. Be careful with the subframe bolts as they seem easy to cross thread. As most would agree, the IRS alignment kit is worth adding as the tall stock springs do pretty much require dropping the rear SF. I'm not sure if the harshness increased as the delivery is sudden but the drama is less (less bounce) you feel the bump, then thats it (I am using the poly race bumpstops sooo). I also went from 19 inch 40 aspect to 20 inch 35 aspect wheel/tire combo.
Unfortunately. I had Steeda progressives on my previous Ecoboost Performance Pack car, and acquired a subtle knocking sound on the front right corner that I couldnā€™t ever resolve in the 4 years they were on. Steeda and the forum were most helpful in trying to help me figure it out, but maybe I was just unlucky with my set and I gave up. I personally donā€™t want to risk it again and would prefer linear springs to stop it outright.

I actually ran into some issues with the rear subframe bolts back then too, so thanks for the reminder on that!

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 23 Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
The reason you see so many people pushing the FP Track Shocks/Struts is simply because they're such a huge upgrade in terms of eliminating the "bounce". The Konis are more aggressive and the Bilsteins should be similar.

I put the FP Track Handling pack on my car. On highways and smooth roads it's at least as comfortable as stock. It's perfectly acceptable unless you hit big pothole. The issue is that what's saving you with that big pothole is a combination of the bounce from the stock shocks and the travel distance of the stock ride height.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Please, if you can! I appreciate it!

Thatā€™s the track kit right? The ā€œtrackā€ nomenclature made me shy away from them because Iā€™d like to prioritize comfort a bit more than I did but with my previous Mustangā€™s setup.

Minus the stop the hop kit, your setup is kind of what Iā€™m going for at minimum. Removing the bounce and float without sacrificing too much comfort.

The ā€œtrackā€ in the name ha been a turn off for me because Iā€™d assumed they were more for track and AutoX use. And my car has been to an AutoX once in the 2.5 years Iā€™ve owned it.

Though, the one thing I do like about that pack is that it comes with just about everything to refresh the suspension.

Unfortunately. I had Steeda progressives on my previous Ecoboost Performance Pack car, and acquired a subtle knocking sound on the front right corner that I couldnā€™t ever resolve in the 4 years they were on. Steeda and the forum were most helpful in trying to help me figure it out, but maybe I was just unlucky with my set and I gave up. I personally donā€™t want to risk it again and would prefer linear springs to stop it outright.

I actually ran into some issues with the rear subframe bolts back then too, so thanks for the reminder on that!
We should be getting them back in tomorrow - give Matt or Rodney a call at 1800 950 0774 - they can tell you if you can get a set if they are not accounted for.

Best Regards,

TJ

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
If you looking for a good spring that doesn't lower the car to much and maintains good ride quality the Steeda Minimum drop springs are a good option and pair those with their Pro Action shocks & Struts Non-Adjustable or the Adjustable you can't go wrong.

Another good combo would be the BMR SP763 as they are a minimal drop spring also and you could pair those with the Steeda Pro Action shocks & Struts or some Koni Sport (yellows)

There are many good combos out there just depends on what you want.

Feel free to reach out to me with any questions.

Sponsored

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
I've got a '17 GT with 86k miles on the the base suspension, and I'm looking to choose the best and most affordable spring/shock setup that offers a minimum drop, improved handling over stock, and doesn't negatively impact ride quality too much, as subjective as that tends to be. I don't want it to be bouncy and floaty like it is now, but I also don't want it to be sharp or harsh either.

I think I'm going to go with BMR's SP763 springs because Steeda have been out of their minimum drop springs for some time, and I don't want to use progressive springs again (unless someone has an alternative recommendation?)

And for shocks and struts, I genuinely cannot understand how to pair them to springs based on the spring rate. Nor do I completely understand the correlation between the two variables and ride quality.

Any help and experience would be appreciated šŸ˜…
Min drop springs are now in stock, ready for shipping tomorrow.

Steeda Tech

chuckhammer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT, Carbonized Gray, MT82, base, no options.
I just installed Bilstein B6 shocks and struts along with Steeda Ultralite Linear springs (F 200 R 800 lb/in) last weekend and got an alignment yesterday. She drives and handles exceptionally well now. Highly recommend this combo. Very confidence inspiring.

Since I was already lowering the IRS cradle/subframe to install the rear springs, I also installed the below parts to stabilize the IRS and put power down more smoothly and consistently:
- BMR CB005 IRS cradle brace and bushing lockout kit.
- BMR CB766 IRS cradle alignment bushings.
- UPR Differential Bushing Inserts (red versions which are softer than the black - opposite of Steeda's).
- Differential Bushing Bolt Sleeves (from user GTP here on M6G).

She is now very planted and well behaved. No more odd squirming out back. Might consider swaybars next and maybe RLCA bearings.

Here are some before and after photos. I believe it's settled in a touch more since the bottom pic was taken. That was before the alignment and putting another 40 or so miles on it.

20230422_182414.jpg
20230611_192211.jpg
Sponsored