Help me justify a price-short throw shifter

Mitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser; 2022 MT GT/CS DMG
Vehicle Showcase
@Mitt
Why should they make a part stronger than it needs to be?
What purpose would it serve?
It just adds weight...

PS: It makes a big difference whether you simply drive over it with a tank, or you load it in the way it is done in the field. 🤷‍♂️
The only reason its not stronger from the factory is cost and NVH. If there wasn't a need for an upgrade it wouldn't make a difference when installed. The shifter went from flopping around to having 0 unnecessary side to side movement.

If we want to talk about weight there are plenty of other areas where you can save that. Really, if we want to talk about weight lets talk about its distribution rather than a saving few ounces here and there.
Sponsored

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
I will be buying a short throw shifter for my 15 Mustang. As with everything, the prices have increased. I’m considering Mgw, Barton and Tri Ax. The Mgw is $499. The Barton hybrid is $439 with their current 20% off. The Tri Ax is $599. My question is if the Tri Ax THAT good of a shifter to command that price tag? Or do I go with the Barton if they’re all close. What would you do? Thanks.
I recommend the M&M shifter.
20220806_181718.jpg

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
The only reason its not stronger from the factory is cost and NVH. If there wasn't a need for an upgrade it wouldn't make a difference when installed. The shifter went from flopping around to having 0 unnecessary side to side movement.
This is not due to the metal, but to the rubber in the metal.
You can complain as much as you like about the metal if the rubber is to blame.

OP
OP
GR8 V8

GR8 V8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
‘15 GT Ruby Red
An embarrassing amount at that. It's worth a shot to try bushings/brackets for the price but one should keep their expectations realistic as it is a bandaid only.
This! A band aid indeed. I have the Steeda bushing and bracket with their street short throw. Different fluid as well. The throw and height are great however lock out still exists and the clunky engagement from one gear to the next. Mgw or Barton are the way to go from what I see. Plus, they aren’t $600 like the Tri-Ax which was my initial inquiry.

Last edited:

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
First off, let me say I wasn't a hater of my stock shifter and I came over from a 2009 GT500 that I had both a Barton as well as an MGW at different times. I just did a Vengeance Stage 2 clutch and stainless steel clutch line while I had the engine out to swap in a built one. I figured it would be a good time to throw in a shifter too. I got a Barton and trans mounted it, and kept the version that maintains the factory style to pull up for reverse. It took a little while to get the adjustment right for the 1-2 and 3-2 shifts. I kept having issues going into 2nd gear, but once I got the adjustment right, I have fallen in love with it. As was stated earlier, it's a mod that is felt every time you drive the car, almost all the time you are driving. It's something to make sure you are happy with it. I honestly think you can't go wrong with any of the big three shifters, MGW, Steeda or Barton, they are all great units. Once the money is spent, you won't care.

Sponsored

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
A lot of benefits of the Steeda Tri-Ax - here is a great video showcasing the Tri-Ax Shifter:

Let me know if I can help!

Best Regards,

TJ

Snooty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mikael
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT, manual, magneride, race red
I went with the barton flatstick. Transmission mount. It is such an improvement. Got a raceseng Ashiko knob on the way for it.

I would highly recommend, it is pricey, but the car feels a lot more...real
Sponsored