Sponsored

Help? I want to swap out my 15 GT steering wheel? How to disable airbag?

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Explorer ,2019 Impala
How do I disable the airbag? Im worried that it might deploy & hit me lol I heard that even if you disconnect the battery the airbag can still deploy in some cars. Fuse?

Any help or experience doing this ? Thank you
Sponsored

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
Plenty of you tube videos. When I changed my steering wheel I disconnect both positive and negative battery terminals. Waited 30 minutes with doors unlocked.then I removed, old steering wheel, then installed my new steering wheel. Watch videos. Good luck

OP
OP
Unas2k5

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Explorer ,2019 Impala
Plenty of you tube videos. When I changed my steering wheel I disconnect both positive and negative battery terminals. Waited 30 minutes with doors unlocked.then I removed, old steering wheel, then installed my new steering wheel. Watch videos. Good luck
Thank you! I’m doing that tomorrow. I watched a couple videos where they did things differently so I got confused lol

Rod Schneider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
I don't want to add to the confusion, but the procedure in the factory shop manual says that if the airbag light isn't on (no faults in the system), you don't need to disconnect the battery, just make sure the ignition is off when removing or installing the airbags. That said, disconnecting the battery certainly won't hurt a thing.

Sponsored

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
To change a filter I might look at a video made by someone who may (or may not) know what they are doing. To work on something that could blow up in my face I will spend the $$ for the OEM service manual.
Ymmv...

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
I don't want to add to the confusion, but the procedure in the factory shop manual says that if the airbag light isn't on (no faults in the system), you don't need to disconnect the battery, just make sure the ignition is off when removing or installing the airbags. That said, disconnecting the battery certainly won't hurt a thing.
You Must Depower the SRS Syetem, remove the RCM Fuse, then Deplete all Power residue by disconnecting the negative battery terminal and then wait for 20 or more minutes. I always disconnect both + and - and wait at least an hour before I put my Face in front of an Airbag to remove it,

SRS Depowering Deplete Power.png

Attachments

Rod Schneider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
That is the correct procedure if you have an SRS fault code (airbag malfunction light on). Just above this procedure (at least in my 2016 factory manual) it states that if there is NO fault code, then the battery does not need to be disconnected before removing airbag components.. Of course, disconnecting the battery anyway certainly won't hurt a thing.......

Rod Schneider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
This is copy and paste out of my 2016 shop manual.

No SRS Fault Present (with ignition ON, airbag warning indicator stays off after prove out)

WARNING: Turn the ignition OFF and wait one minute to deplete the backup power supply.

Ignition must remain OFF until repair is complete. Failure to follow this instruction may result in

serious personal injury or death in the event of an accidental deployment.

Turn the ignition OFF and wait one minute before continuing vehicle service

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
That is the correct procedure if you have an SRS fault code (airbag malfunction light on). Just above this procedure (at least in my 2016 factory manual) it states that if there is NO fault code, then the battery does not need to be disconnected before removing airbag components.. Of course, disconnecting the battery anyway certainly won't hurt a thing.......
You know what, live and learn as the old saying goes. Do as you feel comfortable with. Take care.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Too much anxiety about this.

At best, disconnect the battery. And really, just turn the car off and wait a few minutes. I changed my steering wheel, and the hardest part was getting the springs for removing the airbag pinched in.

Other than that, it's super easy.
Sponsored