Hello gearheads

johnnytequila

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 performance blue GT350
I just wanted to say hi to my fellow gearheads. I haven’t owned a Mustang since my 93 mustang cobra in the 90’s and I just couldn’t stop researching the GT350 so ended up finding a 2020 GT350 with 10,000 miles on it. I want to say I love it but since we got hit with a freak snow storm, all I can do is look at it and start it. Very frustrating. Anyways, glad to be here and wanted to know if everyone likes the pilot cup 2 tires? Did anyone replace them with a different brand and if so what brand did you pick?
Sponsored

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
Went 8100 miles on my 18 R with Sport Cup 2's and now have PS4's with approximately 200 miles on them. SC2's are great on a smooth surfaces. My 18 surely tramlines a little more than your 20 tho. I found the PS4's eliminate a lot of the tramline. The side wall is is a little more forgiving. Much better street tire for sure which is really all I do with my R. But if you track it then I'd stick with SC2's.

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
I just wanted to say hi to my fellow gearheads. I haven’t owned a Mustang since my 93 mustang cobra in the 90’s and I just couldn’t stop researching the GT350 so ended up finding a 2020 GT350 with 10,000 miles on it. I want to say I love it but since we got hit with a freak snow storm, all I can do is look at it and start it. Very frustrating. Anyways, glad to be here and wanted to know if everyone likes the pilot cup 2 tires? Did anyone replace them with a different brand and if so what brand did you pick?
Welcome to Shelby ownership! The Michelin's are great except when it's time to replace them. due to cost. I switched to Nitto NT555's in 20" primarily because mine is 100% a street car. At any sane street speed I don't really notice any downsides. I will likely try something else when replacing but more as an experimentation exercise than anything else.

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome John. Any pics of the ride?

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I too bought my GT350 in beginning of December last year. Drove it for maybe 2 weeks, then the cold weather came, and put it away for Winter. Btw, don't drive with PS2's in weather below 40°, they can crack.
I love the PS2's for the grip, but they do tramline, especially until they warm up. And the tread life is short.
That said, when mine wear out, I'll replace them with the Pilot Super Sports. I want to keep the same sizes as original, and those are the only other option that comes in the sizes for the GT350. Besides, the GT350 Track Attack program uses the Super Sports on all their cars, so they must have plenty of grip too. And at least they have a 30K mile tread life.

Sponsored

OP
OP
johnnytequila

johnnytequila

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
I too bought my GT350 in beginning of December last year. Drove it for maybe 2 weeks, then the cold weather came, and put it away for Winter. Btw, don't drive with PS2's in weather below 40°, they can crack.
I love the PS2's for the grip, but they do tramline, especially until they warm up. And the tread life is short.
That said, when mine wear out, I'll replace them with the Pilot Super Sports. I want to keep the same sizes as original, and those are the only other option that comes in the sizes for the GT350. Besides, the GT350 Track Attack program uses the Super Sports on all their cars, so they must have plenty of grip too. And at least they have a 30K mile tread life.
A buddy of mine says the P Zero is a great tire more for street driving. I’m not gonna be tracking mine.
Do you agree or say stick with the cup 2’s?
I’m bringing it to my Ford dealer for a complete inspection and for a oil change. I’m asking cuz Iin case I have to have the tires changed out.

OP
OP
johnnytequila

johnnytequila

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
When you store it, is it for a long time? Do you run it once in awhile?

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT350/'95 F250/'65 Fastback/'96 Cobra Project
Depends on your usage. I find the SC2s to be poor true street tires - don't like cold or wet, tramline, wear quickly, expensive. They're excellent on track, though. I daily my car and track monthly, so I have 3 (!) sets of wheels and tires. PS4S for summer street and track rain tires. SC2s (at the moment) for track tires. Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ for colder weather street.

Booboo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robin
Vehicle(s)
2020 PB GT350
Welcome and congrats! I just switched out my sport cup 2 tires with the michelin pilot super sports in the same size and wish I had done so as soon as I got the car. The tramlining was my only real gripe and replacing the tires to the more street friendly and higher treadware PSS's solved that!

Sponsored

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
I’ll probably go with the PSS’s as well when my SC2’s wear out. If they grip that good and the tram lining goes away, I’d be a happy man.
I‘ve got 8400 miles on the SC2’s now and they have about another 2K left.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
BTW…
Your color combination is stunning. It was the first color car I was able to see up close and sit in. That experience solidified my decision to buy a GT350.
Didn’t get that color but I got 5K off MSRP and love what I have.

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
A buddy of mine says the P Zero is a great tire more for street driving. I’m not gonna be tracking mine.
Do you agree or say stick with the cup 2’s?
The P Zero is in the same catergory as Super Sports. The Cup 2's are a street/competition tire. Go with the Super Sports.

When you store it, is it for a long time? Do you run it once in awhile?
It's store from December to about mid to late April, weather dependant.
No, you shouldn't start it and let it idle. Condensation will build up in engine and exhaust, as the engine never gets hot enough to dissipate the moisture. Best to just let it sit idle until ready to drive again. And be sure to keep it on a battery tender, and put fuel stabilizer in tank, fill tank with gas, and drive it a little before storing, so the stabilizer gets into all the fuel lines.
I also increase the tire pressure up to 45 psi, put it on Flatstopper ramps, as mine is stored outside. The PS2's are very soft, and prone to cracking and flat spots in the cold. I don't move the car again, until temps stay in the upper 40's to low 50's for a few days, so as not to damage the tires.
This regiment worked perfect for me last year, and did the same for this winter.

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Wow. My PSS's on the rears only getting 12-15K. PS4S on front much better.