Heater Core Delete

Leonidas514

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Search didn't return much. The delete seems pretty straight forward. Has anyone just pulled the hoses and put a 3/4 cap on all 4 spots? Looking to delete mine, track only car and I'm in Florida. No heat needed and yes I know I will lose a little cooling capacity. Just don't want to sacrifice cylinder head flow or something.
Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I know nothing specific about how our heater cores are plumbed an what all would be affected.
But, in general, I wouldn't cap anything off. I'd couple the in and out hoses together to form a bypass.
That would eliminate the heater core without altering coolant flow.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
.....just don't want to sacrifice cylinder head flow or something.
How would having a heater core sacrifice head flow....or something?

Sabre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2023 Mach 1 with Handling Package
If you could unhook the vents from the heater box and then vent the airflow from the box outside....when on track turn your heat and fan to high and you have essentially added another cooler to your coolant system. I have several track buddies with cars that are not "track only", who when on a really hot summer day while tracking, will turn the heat and fan on high and suffer through the added cabin heat because it gives them some added cooling and allows them to be on track longer.

OP
OP
Leonidas514

Leonidas514

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
That makes sense but I'm not racing road courses. Thanks for the feedback. Just curious on the coolant routing through the block/heads. I'm almost 100% nothing will be effected by just capping was just curious.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
There isn’t a whole lot of info on how to do it with a Coyote.

If you have a dedicated S550 Coyote track car and no need for the HVAC system (including heater core), the FF guys have info on how to run a Coyote by doing the core bypass.

Here’s some info on how to do it with a Coyote (GEN is not specified, but probably similar across GEN1, GEN2 and GEN3 Coyotes):
https://www.ffcars.com/threads/coyote-heater-bypass.495114/

This FF thread has some good info; the link is wonky, so just scroll down until you see the posts:
https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?30402-Heater-bypass

Here’s a kit if you opt to go this route:
https://pbhperformance.com/product/coyote-swap-cooling-system-hot-water-bypass-kit/

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
How would having a heater core sacrifice head flow....or something?
As I said above, I don't know the specifics of how these cars are plumbed. But I can envision a scenario where coolant is routed from the heater core back into the engine block in such a way that, we're it capped off, could deprive some part of effective cooling.
I don't know if that is the case and believe it probably isn't.
But coupling the in/out heater core hoses would create a bypass eliminating the heater core while keeping coolant flow in the engine unchanged.
Same result and amount of work to do as capping the lines but zero risk to the engine.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
As I said above, I don't know the specifics of how these cars are plumbed. But I can envision a scenario where coolant is routed from the heater core back into the engine block in such a way that, we're it capped off, could deprive some part of effective cooling.
I don't know if that is the case and believe it probably isn't.
But coupling the in/out heater core hoses would create a bypass eliminating the heater core while keeping coolant flow in the engine unchanged.
Same result and amount of work to do as capping the lines but zero risk to the engine.
Can you not answer a question when it's directed specifically towards someone else?

OP, there is absolutely no reason to do this. Why are you considering fucking with one of the most important systems in your car?

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Can you not answer a question when it's directed specifically towards someone else?

OP, there is absolutely no reason to do this. Why are you considering fucking with one of the most important systems in your car?
I suppose I couldn't but where's the fun in that?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Leonidas514

Leonidas514

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Good read there. Thank you! So it does look like the coolant needs to flow through the heads in a certain manner. I researched the PBH blockoffs as well. Thanks again.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Good read there. Thank you! So it does look like the coolant needs to flow through the heads in a certain manner. I researched the PBH blockoffs as well. Thanks again.
No problem, glad the info was helpful and good luck with your build.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
This thread brings up questions I have about present day Mustangs. Why does Ford put heater cores in Mustangs that have coolant running through them. I would think it would be easier to have some kind of electrical heating grid under the dash to save plumbing and cost. Surely, electric vehicles don't have coolants , so they must use electricity to provide heat like a space heater would.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
This thread brings up questions I have about present day Mustangs. Why does Ford put heater cores in Mustangs that have coolant running through them. I would think it would be easier to have some kind of electrical heating grid under the dash to save plumbing and cost. Surely, electric vehicles don't have coolants , so they must use electricity to provide heat like a space heater would.
Because other than the "cost" of the electric fan motor, it's the most efficient (including MPGs) to heat the vehicle. It's literally heat energy that would otherwise be wasted.

Then EVs run their heaters, their range drops dramatically. It's a huge drain.
Sponsored