Heated seats causing interference with stereo

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
I don't think the speakers are ever really off on a Ford when the ignition is on, even if there is no audio sound being directed to them. The buzz you are getting is almost certainly inductive coupling to an interference source, which in your case is the heated seat system. I'm not sure exactly where the speaker cables run in a Mustang, but my first port of call would be to check the cable run to the rear speakers especially anywhere near the front seat wiring. They may be positioned incorrectly which is causing your problem, but you may also have a dodgy component in the seat system that is spewing out RF noise that the speakers are picking up. The rear ones may be the ones buzzing because the speaker wire length is optimal to pick up the frequency it is spewing.

If I was diagnosing I would disconnect one seat heater / cooler (not sure if each side has a separate fuse) and try it - you may find that isolates the RF source to one seat and then you have your answer.

You need to find the source of the RF not try to fix the bit that's buzzing - that is just a symptom

https://www.shure.com/en-GB/support/find-an-answer/noise-problems-caused-by-audio-cable
Sponsored

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16
I have found a dashcam cable can interfere with radio reception especially DAB. Not suggesting this is a cause but could exacerbate any issues.

Pilgrim/uk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
GT Yellow
I had similar issue a few years ago on my Audi turned out to be the rear window demister might pay uoi to look at that too

OP
OP
Adester

Adester

Adester
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT V8 Auto
Same problem appeared on my vehicle. I know exactly what you are describing. Any updates on the heated seat issue. Mine is only occurring when the heated seats are on.

I recently did a fairly major Forscan reprogram of the ACM and I wonder if that caused it. I will be reverting back to my original settings and report back.

All best.
Hi Dustin,

My dealer eventually diagnosed that the problem was twofold:

1, There was a wiring loom (heated seats) running up the LHS of the vehicle which was sitting too close to an audio module & this was causing interference with the DAB audio system.
2, The same wiring loom had a dry soldered pin in one of the connectors, causing the crackling & general interference.

To give them their due, the dealer stripped out all of the interior & tested continuity of all the wiring, which led them to diagnose this fault. They had the vehicle for a week or so, but all good now.

Good luck with yours,

Adester
Sponsored