Adester
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT V8 Auto
Hi guys, it's been a while.

My Mustang is now 3 months old & my supplying dealer Haynes has been kind enough to offer a 3-month courtesy check-over, which I had done yesterday.

There were a few items on my list of things that could do with sorting; the oil level was showing a slightly low reading, the handbrake needed adjusting & the heated/cooled seats seemed to be making quite a lot of noise when switched on.

The first two items were dealt with easily; the oil needed 1/3 litre & the handbrake now holds better than before. What surprised me was that the noisy heated seat isn't a noisy fan as I suspected, but the buzzing is actually electrical interference with the stereo system. Once the seat or seats are switched on, either for heating or cooling, on whatever setting 1, 2 or 3, there's quite a pronounced buzzing emanating from the speaker system.

My dealer tells me they have another customer's car which has had a similar problem but that was interference when the A/C was switched on. This problem is still on-going & the car is still with them. My dealer is going to contact Ford Technical to see if they are aware or have issued a TSB on the subject. If Ford Technical cannot offer any assistance on the matter, it's going to be a case of tearing the interior apart, as the suspicion is that two wiring looms are interfering with one another, causing the buzzing from the stereo.

Pretty frustrating, as they have said they will probably need to book the car in for two days or more for investigation & I don't fancy the interior of my car being torn apart.

Anyone else experienced this type of buzzing/interference?

Cheers,

Adester
Sponsored

PeterE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2017 S550 GT; 2022 Z4 M40i; 1978 Stag
Interesting; as you know mine came from the same Dealer, four months old, same spec as yours. I had my 3 month check a few weeks back and there was nothing major to deal with although with hindsight the handbrake could do with tightening a bit.

Is the buzzing audible with the sound system switched off or on or both? If on is it the same whatever input source is in use (USB/FM/DAB etc.)? I've not noticed this, usually because I've got both windows open listening to the exhaust and not the sound system :D but will run some tests later on today when I'm out in it.

OP
OP
Adester

Adester

Adester
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT V8 Auto
Hi PeterE,

The buzzing is audible with the stereo switched on or off, it makes no difference. I'll check if it's affected by input source later today. I usually have the radio on the DAB input, but it's fair comment to try the other available inputs.

One thing I think it has done on its own is switch from 'open all doors' to 'open drivers door only' when I open it from the drivers door. I'm sure it used to open both, then one day decided to revert to drivers door only & I haven't played with the settings at all.

I'll get back to you later on the input source.

Adester

PeterE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2017 S550 GT; 2022 Z4 M40i; 1978 Stag
I've run some tests - both heated seats off and on, sound system off/on (DAB, FM, USB, Bluetooth/phone) and not the slightest hint of interference with any combination of the above.

I guess therefore that it is a specific issue with your car which is no help to you I'm afraid.

You could try a Sync 3 master reset: https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-technology/sync-3/settings/how-to-perform-a-master-reset.html? but this will wipe out all your stored settings and I'm not certain how much interconnection there is between the Sync 3 shell and the sound system so may have no effect at all.

I have already posted elsewhere that Sync 3 is very buggy so hopefully rebooting it may help but no guarantees I'm afraid :shrug:.

OP
OP
Adester

Adester

Adester
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT V8 Auto
I've done some tests too.

The buzzing is evident with the sound system on/off. It's the same with the various inputs USB, FM, DAB, CD etc. I'd say it's much louder when the seats are in the heated position rather than the cooled setting. Mind you, the cooled setting runs the fans so the buzzing might be masked by this.

It's a weird buzzing sound that comes & goes, then pulsates for a while. It appears to be coming from the L/H rear speaker but I couldn't be sure if other speakers are contributing also.

I haven't done a master reset yet, I'll see what Ford Technical have to say first.

Cheers for the reply.

Adester

Sponsored

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT, GR Yaris, SWB Defender, Harley.
I've done some tests too.

It's a weird buzzing sound that comes & goes, then pulsates for a while. It appears to be coming from the L/H rear speaker but I couldn't be sure if other speakers are contributing also.

Adester
On LHD cars there is an electronic box under the left side of the dash on the A pillar. It is on a metal bracket which randomly vibrates and causes an annoying buzz. Could this be it? Is the box there on RHD cars?

I only know this as there is a YouTube video showing how to stop the noise.

Big_G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Fastback
Not so much interference but i find the DAB signal keeps cutting out when heated rear screen is turned on.

OP
OP
Adester

Adester

Adester
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT V8 Auto
Haynes have got back to me & admitted that Ford US can't help with any information regarding where this interference might be coming from. It seems like mine is the first one that they've heard that makes this sound.

I must admit, since hearing this from Haynes, I've been dragging my heels about whether to have this looked at, as I'm not keen on having the interior taken out for the investigation, but if I want it fixed, I don't really have a choice. Anyway, I've taken the plunge & booked her in for Wednesday 3rd November until Friday 5th. They will supply a courtesy car for the duration.

Fingers crossed they find something. Just lately it seems like the interference is coming out of one of the LH rear speakers & it fluctuates higher & then lower & then seems to modulate or hunt up & down. It's a weird sound & difficult to explain. I hope they don't just pull the wires from the rear speaker & say they've fixed it!!

I'll report how I get on.

Cheers.

OP
OP
Adester

Adester

Adester
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT V8 Auto
Haynes had my Mustang last week for 3 days & they've diagnosed that the interference is being caused by the Audio Control Module. Apparently, it's behind the audio fascia (the part that you feed your CDs into). They think there's a fault with it.

This Module is on back-order from Ford US & they can't give me any idea when it might be available, so will give me a call when it's available to fit.

All-in-all, so far Haynes have been good with feedback to me. When I picked the car up un Friday, I asked to speak to someone technical that could explain the fix to me & I got to speak to their Master Technician who was happy to explain the complexity of the job etc. In fact, he admitted that since the dash has been apart & fitted back together, he can't get the car to make the noise anymore & I must admit it was quiet on the way back home. That said, they will still change the Audio Control Module, as they're pretty sure it's the culprit.

I'll update again once the unit is fitted. No nasty squeaks from the dashboard on the way home thank god!

Adester

OP
OP
Adester

Adester

Adester
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT V8 Auto
here's a quick update on my noisy audio system.

My last post reported that the original buzzing noise had developed into a much louder crackling noise coming from the speakers when I drove to work one morning. Having had the GT booked into GT101 for a few bits to be done, I phoned Haynes to see if they could sort out the fix prior to me taking it up to Colchester. Things didn't work out, with them not having a courtesy car available last week, so last Friday I drover her to GT101 in Colchester & the crackling noise was unbearable & relentless on a long journey. It was even making the hideous crackling noise when the ignition was off, as I was unloading the boot - bizarre!

Anyhow, she's been into Haynes the last two days having the audio control module changed (basically the head-unit, from what I understand). When I dropped the car off on Tuesday I was assured they would keep me updated on progress - yeah right! Fast forward to 3.30 today & I'm expecting to leave work at 4.00 to return the courtesy car & pick her up & still no call. I call them & no one knows if it's fixed or not. They return my call at 4.25 and assure me all is OK.

Unfortunately, on the way home the noise is still there, maybe not occurring quite as often, but it's still there, crackling away through the rear speakers. The gear knob is still loose & now the reverse-lockout collar is rattling about on the gear lever stem.

I phoned the service team at 5.45 & they've suggested I deliver it back to them tomorrow for further investigation of the audio crackling noise.

What doesn't inspire confidence is that I've diagnosed the reverse-lockout collar problem myself; there's an 'anti-rattle clip' which should be seated below the reverse-lockout collar, but it's just been popped onto the gear lever under the gear knob - it's not doing a damn thing there. I found out this fix on a YouTube video of a Barton short-throw shifter install.

[ame]

Feeling pretty upset about it all & will be returning the car to Haynes tomorrow.

If anyone's interested, I'll report back soon.

Cheers

Sponsored
OP
OP
Adester

Adester

Adester
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT V8 Auto
Hi Guys,

Here's another quick update.

After picking up the car on Wednesday evening (22nd Nov) & realising the noisy stereo system hadn't been rectified, I returned the car to Haynes on Thursday 23rd. While I was there, I requested a chat with one of their technicians, in order to explain the noisy audio system in more detail (yet again) & to point out the reverse lockout collar anti-rattle clip issue.

I had previously drawn a sketch of the gear selector assembly & explained where the anti-rattle clip should be positioned & I left the sketch in the car, so hopefully eventually it will be put back together correctly.

The car has been with Haynes since then. I've since been informed that their further investigation has now come to a halt & they've got Ford UK involved. They've put in a request for a Ford UK Technician come and look at the car & I was informed this Monday 27th that he's not available until next Tuesday 5th December. I'm absolutely gutted that this issue isn't going to be looked at until then, but there seems little I can do.

I'm writing this to form a timeline for if I later wish to put an official complaint into Ford, as this is pretty upsetting right now.

I've told them I want the car back when it's sorted & not before. I don't like to complain, but this problem does need to be sorted. Meantime, I'm driving their Fiesta courtesy car.

Adester

Spider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 GT MY19 Bullitt
What doesn't inspire confidence is that I've diagnosed the reverse-lockout collar problem myself; there's an 'anti-rattle clip' which should be seated below the reverse-lockout collar, but it's just been popped onto the gear lever under the gear knob - it's not doing a damn thing there. I found out this fix on a YouTube video of a Barton short-throw shifter install
My gearbox whirs clunks and rattles :) if I could reduce the lockout rattle it would help but where in the video is that reference to the clip?

OP
OP
Adester

Adester

Adester
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT V8 Auto
Hi,

The video shows the white ring, which flies off when the gear lever boot is extracted at 4.29 minutes. He makes a point of explaining that you should put it aside, as you will need it later. On re-assembly, it is shown at 20.58 along with the 'O' ring which sits below it

Cheers

dgreene

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang EcoBoost Premium Convertible
What surprised me was that the noisy heated seat isn't a noisy fan as I suspected, but the buzzing is actually electrical interference with the stereo system. Once the seat or seats are switched on, either for heating or cooling, on whatever setting 1, 2 or 3, there's quite a pronounced buzzing emanating from the speaker system.
Same problem appeared on my vehicle. I know exactly what you are describing. Any updates on the heated seat issue. Mine is only occurring when the heated seats are on.

I recently did a fairly major Forscan reprogram of the ACM and I wonder if that caused it. I will be reverting back to my original settings and report back.

All best.

jonny10buds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt, 1972 Lincoln Continental MkIV, 2010 Honda Accord (daily driver)
After previous experience with various manufacturers I now live with minor faults rather than let the dealers loose on my car, at best they won’t fix it and at worst they’ll make matters worse, I’ve got two or three niggles currently on my Bullitt but I’ll just live with them or work around them
Sponsored