DaSpudro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, 2014 GT, 1994 Cobra, 1992 Z28 Conv, 1985 IROC-Z28 , 1957 210 2Dr Sedan
New member - So Hi!
I've been around the car scene for a while, but have always been a Chevy guy. Ironically I was looking for a new Camaro (I know booo hisss) when I came across my Mustang. I told my wife (who has 2 Mustangs) if I found one that was deal I couldn't pass up, then I'd go with a mustang and here I am with my first experience in forced induction. The previous owner bought it as a CPO car, had it a few months and modded the crap out of it. I can list out what was done if people are interested, but the short version is for whatever reason after owning the car a total of 4 months he traded it back in. I was told multiple stories of why, but his loss is my gain.

some background info before my questions - My car has a Roush blower, with a VMP heat exchanger/fan setup, and an spare tire mounted ice tank. The pump is a Rule 2000 Bilge in the ice tank. Shortly after I bought the car the pump died and my inlet air temps went up to about 185 degrees. I babied the car home and parked it till I replaced it with another. I bought the same pump just to buy me some time and get it back on the road. A little over a month later (yesterday), it died on me again so I have once again parked it. I drive roughly 30 miles one way a day and can take between 20 minutes to an hour and a half to drive those 30 miles.

My question is what is everyone running for their heat exchanger pump? I really don't plan to drag this car, so i'm really looking for a reliable pump that can run all the time and is suitable for daily driving with occasional "spirited" driving. What kind of flow rate does this actually need? The Roush kit seems to come with a little 5.5gpm bosch style pump (which my car is missing) - is that sufficient/reliable enough? I've looked at a handful, but figure rather then guessing i'd see what others are running. How often are you replacing pumps?

Thanks,
Rick
Sponsored

Bybotie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, HP
There is zero reason to have an ice tank on the car unless you are racing it. If you don't plan on racing the car I would pull the ice tank(selling it will more than buy you a new HE pump) and convert it back to a simple VMP HE set up using a stock Roush pump. The pump is more than capable of running the Tripple Pass HE.

BDMACH1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
New member - So Hi!
I've been around the car scene for a while, but have always been a Chevy guy. Ironically I was looking for a new Camaro (I know booo hisss) when I came across my Mustang. I told my wife (who has 2 Mustangs) if I found one that was deal I couldn't pass up, then I'd go with a mustang and here I am with my first experience in forced induction. The previous owner bought it as a CPO car, had it a few months and modded the crap out of it. I can list out what was done if people are interested, but the short version is for whatever reason after owning the car a total of 4 months he traded it back in. I was told multiple stories of why, but his loss is my gain.

some background info before my questions - My car has a Roush blower, with a VMP heat exchanger/fan setup, and an spare tire mounted ice tank. The pump is a Rule 2000 Bilge in the ice tank. Shortly after I bought the car the pump died and my inlet air temps went up to about 185 degrees. I babied the car home and parked it till I replaced it with another. I bought the same pump just to buy me some time and get it back on the road. A little over a month later (yesterday), it died on me again so I have once again parked it. I drive roughly 30 miles one way a day and can take between 20 minutes to an hour and a half to drive those 30 miles.

My question is what is everyone running for their heat exchanger pump? I really don't plan to drag this car, so i'm really looking for a reliable pump that can run all the time and is suitable for daily driving with occasional "spirited" driving. What kind of flow rate does this actually need? The Roush kit seems to come with a little 5.5gpm bosch style pump (which my car is missing) - is that sufficient/reliable enough? I've looked at a handful, but figure rather then guessing i'd see what others are running. How often are you replacing pumps?

Thanks,
Rick

Hi Rick,

I had the same issue as you with the RULE 2000 pump. After going thru 2 of them, I said screw it and put in a Stewart/EMP external pump. Best thing I ever did!

Bob

OP
OP
DaSpudro

DaSpudro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
Bybotie - I think I'm going to install a stock-ish pump (looking at the Wipple HE pump right now) for it for reliability/daily driving. Probably not going to get rid of the ice tank though, I'm not hurting for cash that bad, and I was always taught better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it. While I don't plan to have it on a track - who knows maybe one day I will.

BDMACH1 - I saw a youtube video from a dude who used to tune for VMP and now does it for Lund. He was at a track with an orange car that had the same trunk setup as me, minus the pump. that car had a Stewart EMP ST-E2512A Pump. When I looked it up, I admit a choked a little on the price, but only from the aspect of not knowing if it's worth it - otherwise i'm not scared, I understand performance isn't cheap. I can't seem to find any information as to longevity, durability, etc. My fear is spending $500 on this pump and having it fail after a month like the Rule's. Do you use your pump as a daily? How long does it run at a time, and how long have you had it installed? I have a 30/40A relay installed currently for the Rule (12A power draw), what gauge wires did you use for your Stewart (19A power draw).

Ideally if I can get away with just changing out my Rule for a different pump (this one perhaps) and not have to go to a DD pump setup and race pump when needed that would be great. If I spend $500 on a pump i'd like it to last a few years and hope it would.

BDMACH1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
BDMACH1 - I saw a youtube video from a dude who used to tune for VMP and now does it for Lund. He was at a track with an orange car that had the same trunk setup as me, minus the pump. that car had a Stewart EMP ST-E2512A Pump. When I looked it up, I admit a choked a little on the price, but only from the aspect of not knowing if it's worth it - otherwise i'm not scared, I understand performance isn't cheap. I can't seem to find any information as to longevity, durability, etc. My fear is spending $500 on this pump and having it fail after a month like the Rule's. Do you use your pump as a daily? How long does it run at a time, and how long have you had it installed? I have a 30/40A relay installed currently for the Rule (12A power draw), what gauge wires did you use for your Stewart (19A power draw).
Morning Rick,

I don't daily drive my car, but I have taken it on several long trips(2-1/2+hrs.). It's been in the car all this year, and it has been rock solid. I have about 5,000 miles on it so far, and it never skips a beat!
received_1987173904649622.jpeg
received_1916411268392553.jpeg

Sponsored

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
Okay, I know this thread is 5 months old but instead of starting another thread I thought I would ask here. Did any of you guys with the Roush or VMP superchargers try the VMP upgraded intercooler pump? (VMP-SUC012) VMP states on their site it flows 30% better than the stock pump.

Chainsaw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Magnetic Gray A10, 401A, PP1.
I'll be installing the triple pass heat exchanger on my Roushcharged 18 in the spring. I chose the Varimax pump which is the same pump that whipple uses. Flows 10gph pumping freely. Flows 4.8 gallons per hour through a system that Lingenfelter tested. I chose this pump over the Bosch because it is a brushless design. I will have to change the plug on the end of the cable. The pump came with one. Part number is AFX410111 .

Last edited:
OP
OP
DaSpudro

DaSpudro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
I didn't/haven't tried the VMP upgraded pump - because I wanted to retain my ice tank in the system, and after doing a bunch of research on flow rates etc, I went with the Stewart EMP pump. The main reasons were that this is the pump that is/was used on the Ford GT, has been used on numerous transit busses throughout the world, and had a life expectancy of around 10,000 hours. I figured if it was good enough to use in fords supercar, reliable enough to be used in transit busses, and had enough hours between failure I should be able to drive around 7-10 years before failure - those were all arguments I couldn't beat with other pumps. it was pricy by comparison to other pumps, but it's been running in my car as a daily driver since august of last year without any issues.

The mounting instructions said to mount it a specific way, but everyone else I had seen with one didn't have it mounted the way the directions said to either, plus it would have put the weep holes on the top of the pump, which made no sense to me. this may reduce the lifespan of the pump, but if I can get at least a year or two of use out of it before failure then I think it was worth it.

By the time the dust cleared this was my finished install.
CollageMaker_20181015_160049770.jpg

20190224_102148.jpg

Most of the pieces I needed I bought off amazon (mostly because the local hardware/auto stores didn't sell them). I ran a 2AWG power wire from the battery to a distribution block (tongue and groove), then ran an 10 AWG wire to the pump, this should ensure I receive sufficient amperage to the pump and gives myself expansion for a couple of stereo amplifiers later. The old wiring that ran into the tank for the bilge pump was repurposed with a float switch that was wired into my relay signal source. This way if I blow a coolant line under the car it'll shut off the pump before any damage occurs from running it dry. I had an issue with the tanks breather so I added plumbing for an overflow tank, then modified the cap so it wouldn't hold any pressure. I was able to close up all the holes in my trunk to keep moisture out of it. the original setup had no grommets or seals to prevent moisture getting into the car, but the plus was water that leaked out (there were a lot of issues with the original setup leaking) would just drain out. now I have both, sealed and a way for the water to get out.

Once I don't have to worry about freezing temps for the season, I'm going to pull it all apart again and bed line the spare tyre compartment, replace the rubber lines that run along the body with copper lines, and modify the float switch so i can lower the water line in the tank to be able to add ice again if needed. I've also started building a Faux floor to cover it up and give me trunk space again, since my tank doesn't sit flush with the spare tyre tub.