Sponsored

Header install question

kevinvan6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020Mustang GT
So I've started my header install on my 17 and it didn't take long to run into an issue. I'm trying to remove the nut on the passenger side cat, the one that you need to get at from the top of the engine bay. I'm using a combination of 6" to 10" extensions with a wobble extension at the end connected to a long 15mm socket. There is a bit of rust on the stud so it's being a bit stubborn, and I can't break it loose. I'm wondering if I need to replace my collection of extensions with a single long one as there seems to be a ton of flex with the multiple extensions. Just curious what other people have used.

Thanks
Kevin
Sponsored

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
So I've started my header install on my 17 and it didn't take long to run into an issue. I'm trying to remove the nut on the passenger side cat, the one that you need to get at from the top of the engine bay. I'm using a combination of 6" to 10" extensions with a wobble extension at the end connected to a long 15mm socket. There is a bit of rust on the stud so it's being a bit stubborn, and I can't break it loose. I'm wondering if I need to replace my collection of extensions with a single long one as there seems to be a ton of flex with the multiple extensions. Just curious what other people have used.

Thanks
Kevin
I used a 12pt wrench to break it loose then a wabble and about a 6 or 8 inch extension with a fine toothed ratchet. Small turns

CraigJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 97 Westfield SEW
Removed mine today. I just left the cat in place and dropped it out as one lump.

OP
OP
kevinvan6000

kevinvan6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020Mustang GT
Removed mine today. I just left the cat in place and dropped it out as one lump.
Thanks...I'm thinking it is probably going to be easier to go that route now. Been reading some installation instructions from other brands and most just have you drop it as a complete assembly. I've been going off the CJ Pony parts youtube video as a guide which has you remove the cat from the manifold.

speedsun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moostang
Thanks...I'm thinking it is probably going to be easier to go that route now. Been reading some installation instructions from other brands and most just have you drop it as a complete assembly. I've been going off the CJ Pony parts youtube video as a guide which has you remove the cat from the manifold.
We removed my friend's GT350 manifolds with the cats installed. Those nuts are pretty much welded on and trying to use extensions, swivels, etc. to get them off from up top you lose all your breaking torque with the flex going through that stuff.

Sponsored

2018GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Never done that job but when it comes to rusty bolts, etc. PB Blaster is your friend.

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I got mine off using about 4 extensions snapped together. I thought for sure something would break but it worked for me.
Sponsored