Sponsored

having to turn heater way up to get hot

thecloneranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 royal crimson mustang gt
have a 2018 mustang gt and just noticed before i would turn it up to maybe 70 or 72 and it would get nice and toasty but now i have to turn it up to at least 80 to get the same heat. only thing i did was install a jlt cai. also my coolant was low so added some more coolant to that. it was working fine before the cai install so not sure how those 2 are connected.

any help would be appreciated
Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
thecloneranger

thecloneranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not much other than it was possibly a colder day and u needed more heat to feel comfortable.
i see no today it was 74 degrees out and i raised mine to around 75 or 76 and it was still blowing cold

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; Two things come to mind. One is have you changed/cleaned the cabin air filter? They get clogged up and restrict airflow.
Second is about the coolant thermostat. If a thermostat fails open the engine can have a harder time keeping the coolant warm. Easy check is the temp gauge in the dash ( this assumes the gauge is accurate.) More involved way is to touch the heater hoses in the engine compartment after the car is warmed up.

Last idea is after adding coolant you may have an air pocket or two in the system. These usually work their way out after a few running cycles. Danger is possible hot spots in the engine. I do not know what the procedure is to "burp" air from a mustang.

OP
OP
thecloneranger

thecloneranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hello; Two things come to mind. One is have you changed/cleaned the cabin air filter? They get clogged up and restrict airflow.
Second is about the coolant thermostat. If a thermostat fails open the engine can have a harder time keeping the coolant warm. Easy check is the temp gauge in the dash ( this assumes the gauge is accurate.) More involved way is to touch the heater hoses in the engine compartment after the car is warmed up.

Last idea is after adding coolant you may have an air pocket or two in the system. These usually work their way out after a few running cycles. Danger is possible hot spots in the engine. I do not know what the procedure is to "burp" air from a mustang.
thanks would the thermostat failing trigger a check engine light? also the temp gauge sits right in the middle

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Blend door. It is a common problem with the S550.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
That's it. I'd get it from Ford some cars have 2.

Bring your VIN

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
thanks would the thermostat failing trigger a check engine light? also the temp gauge sits right in the middle
Hello; Not known to me if a bad thermostat will throw a code. If the temp gauge is in the normal position such is a clue the thermostat is OK. As mentioned you can feel the heater hoses in the engine compartment. If both are hot then you have good hot coolant in the heater core.

I like the post about the blend door part. On modern vehicles the coolant is always flowing thru the heater core. Where the heated air winds up going is controlled by a set of doors directing the air flow. In the summer the unwanted heat is directed away from the cars interior and out to the outside air, often at the cowing near the windshield wipers.
During winter these doors change position to direct the heat into the vehicle interior. You are the second thread about heat and thanks to K4fxd we now know a bland blend door is a possible culprit.
Good luck.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Thermostat, or air trapped in system will cause intermittent hearing issues for sure.

As mentioned above too, the actuator blend doors are very common failures in the Fords, especially the Explorers too... Not sure if the failure is due to plastic construction of the actuator part or what, but someone at Ford should get the supplying vendor to revise the part for better longevity.
Sponsored