Sponsored

Have you had false knock and solved the issue?

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
If there’s even vaguely ANY chance that it’s the exhaust, I’d jump under the car with a dead-blow hammer and pound that bitch. Try different angles too.
I had a case of false knock that drove me nuts. eventually, I pulled the exhaust off completely from the headers back and gave it all a good thumping sitting on timber blocks.
Found one of the baffles in the hotdog had come loose but it only made the rattle at very particular strike angles.
Don’t give up. You WILL find it.
Sponsored

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Glad I found this. Had headers installed at a shopelast week and switch to the AWE cat back which I did myself. The AWE was a very tight fit. Did some logs to send to Shaun at AED and he mentioned that there is some knock at WOT. I dont have much knowledge on this so I did some googles and found out to be a common issue with SP headers. I checked and everything looks gos. I also hit up the installer who is a well known mustang guy in the area. I suspected it to be the cat back being too close to the diff (less than an inch) so I put the car up last night and took off the cat back. Didnt tighten any bolts until everything was back up. Going to log it after work and hopefully solve the problem.

OP
OP
Joe 5.0

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
If there’s even vaguely ANY chance that it’s the exhaust, I’d jump under the car with a dead-blow hammer and pound that bitch. Try different angles too.
I had a case of false knock that drove me nuts. eventually, I pulled the exhaust off completely from the headers back and gave it all a good thumping sitting on timber blocks.
Found one of the baffles in the hotdog had come loose but it only made the rattle at very particular strike angles.
Don’t give up. You WILL find it.
What's the "hotdog" you're referring to? I have a mini Dachshund and I know she's not making any noise in the exhaust, lol.

I do hear a weird vibration when I bang the collector area of my SW headers, but I don't know what it could be. I think I'm going to bring my car to a buddy's shop with a lift and take a look with him. Trying to do this on jack stands is miserable.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
What's the "hotdog" you're referring to? I have a mini Dachshund and I know she's not making any noise in the exhaust, lol.

I do hear a weird vibration when I bang the collector area of my SW headers, but I don't know what it could be. I think I'm going to bring my car to a buddy's shop with a lift and take a look with him. Trying to do this on jack stands is miserable.
My bad. Hotdog is a bullet type resonator.
It was much easier to isolate the problem once I dropped the system off the car and broke it down into base components.

Sponsored

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
90% of the time, its something from the exhaust.

DonnieO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt cs
Watch "Fixing the false knock in my 2019 Vortech supercharged mustang" on YouTube

slime_bullet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I know this is an old thread, but was the knock ever found? I'm experiencing similar.
Loosen up everything from the collector flange to the axle. start retightening from the collector pulling everything forward, working your way to the axle back
Beat on the collector when the pipes are hot, beat on the collector when the pipes are cold ( with a rubber mallet.
check the transmission inspection plate in front of the bell housing
if you have a catch can make sure its stable and not hitting the valve cover
make sure plugs are good and gapped correctly
make sure your battery is optimal
make sure you dont have any vacuum leaks
make sure your trans cooler lines are secured

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang, '17 Mustang, '18 F150, '23 Mustang GT
Using the rubber mallet to tap on the exhaust to see if there are any rattles is a really good starting place. Have someone else under the car with you to hold onto different pieces of the exhaust to see if that makes any rattles disappear.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I just started getting major false knock on my shifts. Lund reviewed my log and confirmed it looks false and Since it happens on the shift they think it's drivetrain related. Anybody have any ideas what to look at?

Sponsored

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I just started getting major false knock on my shifts. Lund reviewed my log and confirmed it looks false and Since it happens on the shift they think it's drivetrain related. Anybody have any ideas what to look at?
Everything.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Motor mounts? Motor mount brackets? Transmount? Trans inspection plate?
Thanks. I'm leaning towards motor mounts, wastegate, or intercooler piping. Visually motor mounts look good but it's hard to see them that well with everything going on under the car. I've got the car jacked up and bumper off so I can look at the piping after work. Once I finish that I'll drop it to the ground and see how much movement the engine has to confirm if the mounts are ok or not. I only throw the wastegate in as a possibility because I started having a clicking sound from my driver's side under the car. It'd only audible taking off in first or switching to reverse and is usually 1-3 clicks and it stops. I've logged my car while it's clicking and never registered knock but maybe it's getting worse under high rpm shifts even though I can't hear it.

Weird thing is I logged the car last Friday and everything looked good and car pulled hard. Even walked a hellcat with ease... Got home and parked it until Sunday and all the sudden I went to drive it and it moves like a Honda civic when I get on it. :headbang:

slime_bullet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Are you sure its not the throttle body clicking? Mine started clicking, and could hear it through the intake. Replaced it and all is good. My ltft's were a little high at idle and cruise too, new throttle body fixed all that
Sponsored