Sponsored

Has anyone used Turtle Wax Carnauba?

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
I've used different ones and I love California Gold that comes in a black case. I saw Turtle Wax makes one and it's like a mix of jello and tooth paste for texture.

What's odd is that they suggest on using a damp cloth which I've not seen before.
Sponsored

Dr. JL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R: GR227 and GR378
Check out the Zaino Show Car line of products. I was initially skeptical when friends told me of their results with their Z products from Zainostore.com. Now, I wouldn't use anything else on my vehicles.

I'm not in anyway associated with the Zaino company.

Bulutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Check out the Zaino Show Car line of products. I was initially skeptical when friends told me of their results with their Z products from Zainostore.com. Now, I wouldn't use anything else on my vehicles.

I'm not in anyway associated with the Zaino company.
Zaino is quite old school now. Not bad but not most modern products. Check out DFB5.0 posts for a wealth of detailing and awesome product advice.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Paging @DFB5.0 @kilobravo and/or @Les I havenā€™t used a carnuba wax in years, todayā€˜s waxes, sealants and coatings are so much more durable and provide high levels of gloss and hydrophobic properties.

Gregdd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
23 green mach1 manual p0022
Sorry to the person who started this thread. But another vote for Zaino. I have a 17 year old car that has only had Zaino on it. It's interesting to see how things hold up over time. Car was garaged 80 percent of the time. 291k miles and looks good. Seriously thinking about putting this on my next new car. My new mustang was built 12/13. Still waiting for delivery.

Sponsored

Les

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lester
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350-Ruby Red, 12 Roush RS3 Kona Blue, 33 Ford
Vehicle Showcase
Paging @DFB5.0 @kilobravo and/or @Les I havenā€™t used a carnuba wax in years, todayā€˜s waxes, sealants and coatings are so much more durable and provide high levels of gloss and hydrophobic properties.
Hi Mark! The following is just my opinion. Iā€™ve had this discussion/argument with more people than I can count. Iā€™ve chased high end carnauba waxes for over a year. When I say high end Iā€™m talking about Zymol Ital ($175), Zymol Concours ($244), Zymol Destiny ($1045). All have high percentage of carnauba but the issue I had with all of them was the carnauba melted on the top surfaces of the car on really hot days. Carnauba melts at 180 degrees. The hood on a black car in the sun looks like it has an oily film on it and you can write your name in it. It will wipe off but reappear on a hot day. All that money spent and I wasnā€™t happy.
I have two things Iā€™m interested in when it comes to wax. Shine and longevity. I have a gloss meter, like the name implies it measures gloss. I take about 25 measurements and take the average. It takes away someoneā€™s opinion of what is shinier. I strip the wax off one of my cars use what ever wax and do my measuring routine.
when I detail a customers car I record the process of everything I used on my IPad. When they come back I can I can see and measure what products are superior. On my own vehicles I donā€™t care about longevity because Iā€™m constantly detailing them. It does matter on a customers car. My absolute favorite wax for my own cars is Koch Chemie WO.01 Highest numbers on my gloss meter (average 108) Ridiculously shiny and crazy slippery.
Below is a list of waxes/sealants that I really like and strongly recommend. I havenā€™t tried every wax on the planet and Iā€™m sure thereā€™s some awesome stuff I havenā€™t tried yet. But I can tell you with confidence these products work well. I just looked at my spreadsheet on my IPad and I have 66 products in my arsenal. Iā€™m not going to list them all!
Koch Chemie WO.01
Koch Chemie S0.02 sealant
PolishAngel High Gloss Sealant
Polish Angel High Gloss Wax
PolishAngel Cosmic Spritz
Wolfgang Fuzion Wax
Wolfgang Deep Paint Sealant

All the above have measured the highest numbers on the gloss meter. Iā€™ve got a ridiculous amount of other products that are good but just donā€™t give me the higher gloss numbers.
A comment about the PolishAngel High Gloss sealant.
After the product is applied to the car it looks really unbelievable. 12 hours after it cures itā€˜s ridiculously shinier.
The gloss numbers confirm it. But you donā€™t need a gloss meter to measure it you can see the difference, it hits you in the face.
Again just my opinion on all of the above. I know thereā€™s other very passionate opinionated detailing people out there and their cars look awesome. When I get into a discussion/argument on products that someone says is better I hand the the gloss meter and say show me!

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Hi Mark! The following is just my opinion. Iā€™ve had this discussion/argument with more people than I can count. Iā€™ve chased high end carnauba waxes for over a year. When I say high end Iā€™m talking about Zymol Ital ($175), Zymol Concours ($244), Zymol Destiny ($1045). All have high percentage of carnauba but the issue I had with all of them was the carnauba melted on the top surfaces of the car on really hot days. Carnauba melts at 180 degrees. The hood on a black car in the sun looks like it has an oily film on it and you can write your name in it. It will wipe off but reappear on a hot day. All that money spent and I wasnā€™t happy.
I have two things Iā€™m interested in when it comes to wax. Shine and longevity. I have a gloss meter, like the name implies it measures gloss. I take about 25 measurements and take the average. It takes away someoneā€™s opinion of what is shinier. I strip the wax off one of my cars use what ever wax and do my measuring routine.
when I detail a customers car I record the process of everything I used on my IPad. When they come back I can I can see and measure what products are superior. On my own vehicles I donā€™t care about longevity because Iā€™m constantly detailing them. It does matter on a customers car. My absolute favorite wax for my own cars is Koch Chemie WO.01 Highest numbers on my gloss meter (average 108) Ridiculously shiny and crazy slippery.
Below is a list of waxes/sealants that I really like and strongly recommend. I havenā€™t tried every wax on the planet and Iā€™m sure thereā€™s some awesome stuff I havenā€™t tried yet. But I can tell you with confidence these products work well. I just looked at my spreadsheet on my IPad and I have 66 products in my arsenal. Iā€™m not going to list them all!
Koch Chemie WO.01
Koch Chemie S0.02 sealant
PolishAngel High Gloss Sealant
Polish Angel High Gloss Wax
PolishAngel Cosmic Spritz
Wolfgang Fuzion Wax
Wolfgang Deep Paint Sealant

All the above have measured the highest numbers on the gloss meter. Iā€™ve got a ridiculous amount of other products that are good but just donā€™t give me the higher gloss numbers.
A comment about the PolishAngel High Gloss sealant.
After the product is applied to the car it looks really unbelievable. 12 hours after it cures itā€˜s ridiculously shinier.
The gloss numbers confirm it. But you donā€™t need a gloss meter to measure it you can see the difference, it hits you in the face.
Again just my opinion on all of the above. I know thereā€™s other very passionate opinionated detailing people out there and their cars look awesome. When I get into a discussion/argument on products that someone says is better I hand the the gloss meter and say show me!
This is some great info Les! Like I mentioned above, I havenā€™t used a carnuba wax in years, I just think these new sealants and coatings do such a great job and last so much longer. Figured youā€™d have some good insight for the OP. Your cars always look fantastic and the gloss is always off the charts even in photos!

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
It's been nearly 20 years since I have used a Turtle Wax wax product, their good old Super Hard Shell..........................

twshs102.jpg

Despite messing around with ceramic coatings of late, I still think traditional waxes and sealants have a place, both in terms of the way they look and the user experience. There is a certain level of satisfaction in applying and admiring a wax, hard to describe but definitely a factor.

For me, if I'm reaching for a wax or sealant, I have two that come to mind above all others -

Collinite 845 - a very old, very proven liquid wax that is just magical in how it makes paint look. You need to work for it though, 845 has a few quirks. First, you need to warm the bottle up in the sun or under hot running water to liquify the wax. Second, apply it as thinly as possible, more is NOT better and will only make the removal a pain. I use a soft finishing/waxing pad on my polisher to get smooth, even and THIN coverage. When applied as such, the removal is smooth as silk. Lastly, as the product cures over the next few days, it can exhibit a slightly hazy appearance, this is completely normal and is removed at the next wash. The gloss actually improves further after a day or two after application as well. Durability is between 4-6 months depending on conditions.

IMG-7544.jpg

oct209.jpg

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant - this is another proven performer, one that absolutely excels in the gloss and slickness categorys. Again, a product that has a quirk or two. (I would say at this point that product "quirks" are not restricted to these two products, all LSP's have an application quirk, even ceramic coatings). Apply Wolfgang DGPS thinly, again I use a polisher for this, to the whole car in one go and leave to set for 45min before removal. You will marvel at the wipe off, it's smoother than 845 and a truly enjoyable process. DGPS is oxygen activated and needs a 12-hour cure before getting wet or damp to ensure a thorough bond to the paint, so plan accordingly. Wolfgang don't really advertise a longevity claim for DGPS, I would say expect 3-4 months on a daily driver, a year or two for a garage queen.

dec299.jpg

It's pretty hard to beat Wolfgang DGPS for gloss.................................

dec2916.jpg

mmm.jpg

Sponsored

Les

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lester
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Another product I didnā€™t mention that works really well if have a machine to polish with is Rupes Uno Pure Ultra Finishing Polish. Great on soft black paint or on a car thatā€™s been paint corrected and you want little extra pop.
65C3A177-DB23-4B53-9946-8071754BB634.jpeg

9B2C409C-2833-40DA-B9AA-DEA7B66D6A41.jpeg
17300DF6-0DDF-41AB-B411-4733E136A602.jpeg
7AD3CA12-1283-4E39-A665-009A4534AE78.jpeg
0C2B921B-A17A-416F-BC78-A223FA4DB8FD.jpeg

TEAsGrabber

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang Mach1
It's been nearly 20 years since I have used a Turtle Wax wax product, their good old Super Hard Shell..........................

twshs102.jpg

Despite messing around with ceramic coatings of late, I still think traditional waxes and sealants have a place, both in terms of the way they look and the user experience. There is a certain level of satisfaction in applying and admiring a wax, hard to describe but definitely a factor.

For me, if I'm reaching for a wax or sealant, I have two that come to mind above all others -

Collinite 845 - a very old, very proven liquid wax that is just magical in how it makes paint look. You need to work for it though, 845 has a few quirks. First, you need to warm the bottle up in the sun or under hot running water to liquify the wax. Second, apply it as thinly as possible, more is NOT better and will only make the removal a pain. I use a soft finishing/waxing pad on my polisher to get smooth, even and THIN coverage. When applied as such, the removal is smooth as silk. Lastly, as the product cures over the next few days, it can exhibit a slightly hazy appearance, this is completely normal and is removed at the next wash. The gloss actually improves further after a day or two after application as well. Durability is between 4-6 months depending on conditions.

IMG-7544.jpg

oct209.jpg

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant - this is another proven performer, one that absolutely excels in the gloss and slickness categorys. Again, a product that has a quirk or two. (I would say at this point that product "quirks" are not restricted to these two products, all LSP's have an application quirk, even ceramic coatings). Apply Wolfgang DGPS thinly, again I use a polisher for this, to the whole car in one go and leave to set for 45min before removal. You will marvel at the wipe off, it's smoother than 845 and a truly enjoyable process. DGPS is oxygen activated and needs a 12-hour cure before getting wet or damp to ensure a thorough bond to the paint, so plan accordingly. Wolfgang don't really advertise a longevity claim for DGPS, I would say expect 3-4 months on a daily driver, a year or two for a garage queen.

dec299.jpg

It's pretty hard to beat Wolfgang DGPS for gloss.................................

dec2916.jpg

mmm.jpg
I was a Turtle Wax guy for 30+ years until a couple years ago. My wife's Onyx Black 1999 Mercedes and My(RIP) 2000 Mars Red Mercedes were waxed twice a year with it. Both were/are daily drivers and spent life since new in rainy 200+ days a year Seattle. Both were garaged every night and rain or shine washed/cleaned inside and out weekly. Same routine with both when we moved to Bama in 2012. The only difference is in Bama it's A LOT easier to keep a car cleaner for longer periods of time without all the rain.
My wife was reunited with her cousin when her dad passed in 2015. He's owned and operated a Auto Body Shop in her father's hometown in PA since the 80's. We drove my wife's Mercedes to PA for the funeral. We stayed there a week and her cousin and I hit it off pretty well. My wife's car was pretty dirty and buggy from the trip and I asked if I could wash it. He said to bring it to the shop and use the wash bay etc. After washing and blowing it dry he and I got to talking about how much of a PITA black cars were to keep clean and wash swirl free. He said her Benz looked good for 200K + miles. Knowing we were driving 700 miles I washed and waxed the car before leaving Bama. I didn't want to show up in a ratty looking car as this was the first time I was meeting these family members.
After I got finished with the car he made a "It could use wax" comment. I was shocked and a lil insulted as I thought it as always looked great. A few beers later he grabbed a tin of wax from a cabinet and worked it in on half the hood. After he removed it I was in shock! It looked like I hadn't waxed the other side of the hood in years! I told him I been using Turtle Wax for years and he just laughed. Tossed the tin at me and said Merry Christmas! It was Collinite...... I've now been using it now ever since and it was the first thing I did to my MACh1 after driving it home from Detroit. Works AMAZING on Black cars and lasts a very long time! You're right on the application...a lil goes a long way!

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
As mentioned Turtle Wax is good just lacks staying power, it has always been that way.

I prefer paste wax the color is deep, rich, and warm. 3M's paste wax, now gone Griots Garage steps in with a good quality paste wax.

The coatings reflect a lot of light, which causes glare the color suffers.

Last edited:

86pagt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dale
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
I have used the new turtle wax graphene ceramic and a blend of other things with good results and last longer than the the traditional turtle wax.. not a great picture but the gloss is very good
E04F9F58-6AD1-43AA-8868-AA24CEF67EC6.jpeg

6160157F-8DC5-4368-B507-B387562A7D2E.jpeg

Les

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lester
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have used the new turtle wax graphene ceramic and a blend of other things with good results and last longer than the the traditional turtle wax.. not a great picture but the gloss is very good
Wow! What a great color! Nice choice!:like:
Sponsored