Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
D, I think you've found a long lost family member. <BIG grin>

Les: I am blown away by your determination. That said..

I’m not the guy that’s going to work that hard to get it off.
@Les: Clearly you have an abundance of energy. So much in fact that you can't wait for a ceramic coating to wear itself off naturally. <smiling again> Plus, there is only so much clear on a vehicle that you can't polish indefinitely.

I am not that energetic any longer but I do try to get the clear as well as I can with compound before applying a coating. The shine from polishing stays near perfect and the vehicle is extremely easy to wash and keep clean. Then, after some amount of time what is left of the coating will come off with a light polishing and the process starts over.

But as they say...different strokes. :-)
Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
The products I’m using can be striped off with a good paint prep solution. I’m not a fan of high end ceramic coatings that are harder than the clear coat on a car.
I spent multiple days, 40 hours on a little black 2 door Honda getting ceramic coating off that was applied over completely swirled paint. Then spent 4 hours correcting the paint. When I started compounding it the looked dull. Like I was wet sanding it. The more I compounded the duller it got. I had to use a gear driven machine with a wool pad with extremely aggressive gritty compound to get through it. I started to see really shiny little circles breaking through. The bottom of the car under the molding I finally wet sanded it with 3000 to 5000 grit sand paper to save time to get through it, then compounded. After all that, it turned me off of ceramic coatings. Ya, I know ceramic coatings have a large following and people absolutely love it. I have to agree, their cars look awesome. I’m not the guy that’s going to work that hard to get it off. I also don’t use products with silicone in them.
A7B24749-D5C5-49EF-8581-BF46F6A5879A.jpeg
0E04FBED-E1BB-4B08-AFD0-400A93C3E7BB.jpeg

Pretty much my thinking, all the chemical magic of these products is not good for the paint.

Just a quick fix for used car dealers to smear on paint, dazzle the unaware and get the car off the lot.

PS polish does not remove clear coat
key words polish/wax... compounds remove the clear coat

Les

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lester
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350-Ruby Red, 12 Roush RS3 Kona Blue, 33 Ford
Vehicle Showcase
PS polish does not remove clear coat
key words polish/wax... compounds remove the clear coat
Ya, I get it. I’m not compounding my cars that many times. I’m using paint prep to take off previous wax/sealants then using finishing polishes. I have a paint depth gauge and I’m taking minuscule clear coat Off. I light up the car with a Scangrip light that magnifies the micro lines in the paint and do best to perfect the paint. I‘m well aware that people love ceramic coatings and have had more discussions/arguments then I care to count. I‘m not talking spray on ceramic coatings, I’m talking about the product that’s much harder than the clear coat. I have a close friend that had is black F150 done with ceramic at a cost of $2,300. A bird crapped on his hood and it etched the coating. He tried compounding it out. Same exact issue I had on the black Honda. He brought it back to the guy that coated it and it cost him $300 to correct it. To each his own. It’s just not for me. I’m 73 years old (74 in April) retired with plenty of time on my hands and enjoy the process. I detail about 35 to 40 customers cars a season. I feel it when I’m done but it keeps me going!

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
OUCH !!!

DemonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Mustang GT, 2021 Mustang GT PP1
Suggestions on paint prep/wax removal products?

Sponsored

Les

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lester
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350-Ruby Red, 12 Roush RS3 Kona Blue, 33 Ford
Vehicle Showcase
Suggestions on paint prep/wax removal products?
https://www.amazon.com/Gyeon-433311...ocphy=9001916&hvtargid=pla-447203065581&psc=1
I really like Gyeon paint prep. Simple, spray in on a cool paint surface, let it set for few seconds and wipe off. I also have Wolfgang paint prep but I think Gyeon is a little better.
I’m guilty of layering waxes on my cars. After a few layers I use Gyeon paint prep and the color seems a little richer. The multiple coats of wax seem to muddy up the clarity. Ya really don’t realize it until it’s stripped clean. The gloss meter confirms it. Before I put my cars away for the
winter I stripped them, polished and waxed, and covered them. I haven’t touched them since. In past winters, I’d wax them once a week. After all this measuring and learning what it does I’ve reluctantly not waxed them again. When the weather gets warm and the streets are clean the insanity cycle will begin again!

Last edited:

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid RED Metallic GT
No, i use MEGUIARS gold class carnuaba and love it!! It also seems to take light scratches outta my black wheels. Double plus!!!
Anthony

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I have been using Gtechniq's Panel Wipe for a good while and it is excellent for wax removal and paint prep as well as being a great cleaning solution.
I have always used Carpro Eraser, and lately Gyeon Prep.

How have you found Panel Wipe in terms of longer-term storage. Reading the product description, Gtechniq recommend using Panel Wipe "within 2 months of opening". That has stopped me from getting some in the past as I certainly wouldn't use a full bottle in 2 months.

Also, for those reading along, Gtechniq Panel Wipe is stronger than most alcohol prep sprays and should be sprayed into the towel and not directly onto the paint.

Bullittproof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium Fastback - Race Red !
For almost twenty years on other-than-Mustang daily/four-season vehicles I have simply used Mothers California Gold Synthetic Wax to my satisfaction, great immediate results, seems to self-clean ( the ten-foot view ) the surface in a good rain, I use it annually…I will likely increase the number of Mustang applications; $12/ bottle average good for a number of applications …

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
D: Of COURSE I didn't read the PW label...TWO MONTHS! Hell, mine was opened over two years ago. That said, it still appears to work normally. I do however, spray the towel and not the vehicle. I had a gallon of the stuff before you turned me on to Eraser so I was using it up.