Sponsored

Has anyone given thought to this monumental change that’s about to occur? In less than 2 years…

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Here's Why Major Car Manufacturers Believe Hydrogen Cars Are The Future (msn.com)

Hello; decent article about hydrogen. One thing not mentioned is hydrogen can be had most anywhere. You need some water and electricity for raw materials. Using electrolysis, you get two parts hydrogen gas + one part oxygen.
A compressor pump and a tight holding tank to compress the H into a liquid are the tricky parts. Lots of pressure involved and H is the smallest atom so will leak. A H service station could be set up lots of places even at existing gas stations.
Sponsored

OP
OP
AlmostFamous

AlmostFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The time has finally arrived. In less than a year, only two V8 powered American sports cars (Mustang, Corvette) will remain in production. With the Mustang being the last V8 powered vehicle in the world that offers a manual transmission.

5 years from now (2029), we could quite possibly see the final V8 powered sports car roll off the assembly line as we race faster and faster toward the electric car abyss.

I just don’t see anything on the horizon that can change this trajectory we’re on toward a world without any V8 powered sports cars being produced.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
The time has finally arrived. In less than a year, only two V8 powered American sports cars (Mustang, Corvette) will remain in production. With the Mustang being the last V8 powered vehicle in the world that offers a manual transmission.

5 years from now (2029), we could quite possibly see the final V8 powered sports car roll off the assembly line as we race faster and faster toward the electric car abyss.

I just don’t see anything on the horizon that can change this trajectory we’re on toward a world without any V8 powered sports cars being produced.
We should try to hold to our lovely cars for as long as we can. I plan to enjoy my V8 Manual Mustang for at least a few more decade :)

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase

I suggest you read the news just a bit more. Pay attention to the new reality of the current situation surrounding the electric car hoax.

Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I don't think EVs are the problem. Car makers began phasing out V8s and manual transmissions long before EVs were a factor. People don't buy them.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
I don't think EVs are the problem. Car makers began phasing out V8s and manual transmissions long before EVs were a factor. People don't buy them.
Hello; Of course you don't. The trend to smaller displacements and fewer cylinders could not have anything to do with artificially imposed corporate fuels averages could they. Also, the certification procedures (largely smog related) put into place many years ago. Made it difficult and expensive to get an engine package certified to sale. Couple the two alphabet agency edicts together and they have affected corporate decisions.
To get to a level of corporate fuel averages a company needs to sell lot more small vehicles with more fuel-efficient engines than hot rod cars. So decent sized sedans went away over time due to fuel averages required.
The manufacturers managed to carve out more reasonable requirements for pickups and Vans. Reasonable as those vehicles have to do actual work in society. The public continued to want decent sized vehicles with V8 engines so pickups and SUV's took over from the larger sedans. I have been shopping for a regular cab work truck pickup with an eight-foot bed since last spring. Hard to come by anymore. Plenty of loaded up four door pickups with a six-foot bed around.
Large segments of pickup owners do not use them as trucks. Use them the same way they would have used a large sedan in the past. One of the ironies being that heavy body on frame pickups never get as good of MPG's as a nice sized sedan could. So, the alphabet agencies having taken aim at larger sedans likely has resulted in more fuel being burned in the family pickups than would have been burned in sedans.

If for no other reasons, even large sedans are some lighter and more aerodynamic than pickup based vehicles. To my mind another top down set of rules which did not achieve the intended goals.

Last thought. A few decades ago I went from a V8 engine to a straight six in a pickup thinking to save gas. Did not really save much. Turns out to haul or tow a load needs power. The six wound up using much the same amount of gasoline. I have been buying V8's ever since.

Last last thought. Where a person needs a V8 it is my considered opinion no EV currently can do the work. Before you come back with some tow rating for n EV truck be sure to include how far the EV can go on a charge with a max load.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Of course you are against smog controls. You would be happy if everyone still used leaded fuel and got 12 mpg. People started switching to smaller, more efficient vehicles in the 70s due to the oil embargo.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Of course you are against smog controls. You would be happy if everyone still used leaded fuel and got 12 mpg. People started switching to smaller, more efficient vehicles in the 70s due to the oil embargo.
Hello; Not a surprise you went for the low blow with this reply. My comments did not and do not indicate I want smog. The bit about engine certification was intended to point out the difficulty companies have. A result has been they go to the expense of certifying fewer engine packages. This results in them having to use the same engines in many more vehicle platforms than would have happened in the past.
Also restricts engine developments in a more general sense.

Back a few decades ago there were multiple engine choices from each manufacturer. An idea might be if more engine platforms were allowed even better emission controls might result when an engine can be tailored to the chassis rather one engine type having to be used in chassis it is not well suited for.

Smog controls of the 1970's and early 80's were generally not very good. Not that the technology was not yet around. I had a 1972 car with fuel electronic fuel injection. (Bosch Jetronic I think). Also had a 1985 Honda Civic with a type of fuel injection. Now days most any ICE can be fitted with good fuel injection + cats. Even classic engines can have the carbs replaced with a bolt on FI system.

You are correct in part about the oil embargo of the 1970's. I traded in a Pontiac Bonneville V8 for a four banger. I have owned several four bangers since. I also have owned some more V8's. Have one now. I am pleased my current truck runs much cleaner than the older stuff.
I was around in the 1960 & 70's. I can recall driving in smog back then. I like than it gets better fuel economy and starts so well. A point is in todays world of ICE engines, they do run much cleaner all across the range of engines.
If V8 ICE engines do go away it will not be because nobody wants them. I do not buy into that idea. They may be out of favor in some circles but not everyone.
Let me make a prediction. A small six or four cylinder engine can be turboed or supercharged to make power similar to a naturally aspirated V8. I have seen enough to figure they will not last as well, especially in trucks.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
The truck market hasnt got the memo concerning v8’s.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I agree that manual transmissions don't get sold much, but lots of people love V8s.

The truck market hasnt got the memo concerning v8’s.
The best selling vehicles in the US are the ones that loopholes in regulations allow to be built with V8 engines. Lots of people commute in pickups and don't really need the pickup for a work purpose. They just like big, fuel sucking vehicles.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
hey just like big, fuel sucking vehicles.
Hello; There is an ingrained notion in my area that bigger vehicles are safer. likely some grains of truth to that. I once had small car run into the back of one of my pickups. destroyed the front of the car but only tweaked my bumper a bit.
A thing in my area was there were plenty of Mack coal trucks in the past. Not so much now. I have seen even pickups flatten when they get in the way of a Mack.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Toyota’s Leaked 1:6:90 Rule Reveals Why It’s Not Wasting Lithium on EVs (msn.com)

“New technologies will eventually increase the mining rate, but not any time soon. Automakers worry if we increase EV production we’ll max out our supply chain. The CEO of Mercedes warns EVs may double in price. The CEO of Stellantis worries there isn’t enough lithium on Earth to swap our massive automotive fleet for EVs–at any price point.”

“Enter Toyota: A leaked document reveals the automaker told its dealership network that the lithium and other rare materials required to build an EV could also be enough for six plug-in hybrids. Or, it could make 90 hybrids. What’s more, swapping 90 internal combustion cars for hybrids is much better for the environment than building one full EV. Much, much better. Toyota: “The overall carbon reduction of those 90 hybrids over their lifetimes is 37 times as much as as single battery EV.””

Hello; This link breaks down the reasoning behind the thinking of Toyota’s leadership. Lithium seems to be a limiting factor in the pure EV world take over dream.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Hello; There is an ingrained notion in my area that bigger vehicles are safer. likely some grains of truth to that. I once had small car run into the back of one of my pickups. destroyed the front of the car but only tweaked my bumper a bit.
A thing in my area was there were plenty of Mack coal trucks in the past. Not so much now. I have seen even pickups flatten when they get in the way of a Mack.
I personally don't think there's anything wrong with big, gas sucking vehicles. No need for anyone to defend a decision to own or drive one in my opinion.

My annoyance is that cars, which are more fuel efficient due to lighter weight and less frontal area, get penalized versus huge SUVs and pickups.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
My annoyance is that cars, which are more fuel efficient due to lighter weight and less frontal area, get penalized versus huge SUVs and pickups.
Hello; Very much a point which needs to be made. Criticizing EPA or other alphabet agency decisions over the decades does not amount to having a head in the sand nor a wish to have pollution & smog.
An outcome of the higher corporate fuel economy regulations applied to cars and not equally applied to truck-based vehicles has been a consumers shift to trucks and SUV's with more car like features. Pickups and SUV's commonly have more car like features with the penalty, as you mention, of greater frontal area and more weight. Lots of people use those pickups & SUV's not for truck stuff but in the same way sedans were used before Corporate Average Fuel economy rules were applied unevenly.
Companies had to make smaller and often underpowered cars in order to try to meet the averages mandated. A result was sedans of a decent size went away. The few which lasted wound up being more loaded up and expensive luxury types or fleet types for law enforcement.

The buying public created a demand for trucks and SUV's with a better ride and more creature comforts like the discarded larger sedans would have had. A result being the burning of more fuel in the less efficient trucks and also some needlessly increase emissions.

Not the only time top down edicts -mandates have had the opposite effect than intended. I happen to be among those who had little need for a bigger daily driver. I have gotten by fine with small compact and subcompact cars. Some folks could not easily fit a family into the small cars.
Sponsored