Sponsored

Harness bar and 5 point harness Installation questions

Holmes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2019 F150 King Ranch
Anyone installed a harness bar and 5 point harness in a 2018 or 2019 GT Premium. My seats are the leather seats with power adjustments and heat / air conditioning. Looking under the seat there is a ton of electronic and mechanical stuff on the underside of the seat. Instructions say the “anti submarine” belt, (the one between your legs) needs to be mounted at a point behind the driver. I’m afraid the belt will come in contact with and damage the electronics under the seat. Suggestions? Maybe I should go with a 4 point harness instead, or perhaps i’m trying too hard to create a track car from a touring car....
Objective was to improve safety for HPDE, keep more securely planted in the seat and be able to use a HANS device.
Sponsored

bananafonez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt shadow black
its not ideal or even functional (i believe) to use the fifth point on stock seats. better to get a bucket seat with the hole at the bottom already.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't advise a harness bar at all. If safety is your goal, then go full 4 point roll bar.
With factory equipment, if you flip your car, your body still has freedom to move out of the way of the collapsing roof. With harnesses, you are glued to your seat so in the event of a roll over, your neck now takes all the force.

With track car safety, its all or nothing. Keep it factory or go all in: bucket seat, harnesses, roll bar, HANS device.

I've been in a similar situation as your's for awhile now. I want fixed-back bucket seats so badly but I do not want a 4 pt roll bar consuming my back seat (I use it fairly often).

I don't mean to ruin the fun but it only takes one bad crash to ruin all the fun forever.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
5-6 point restraints need to be part of a system which includes a proper seat, and the last thing you want is to go ‘submarine’ under the lap belt in a 5-point belt without the correct through-seat bottom strap mount. They aren’t compatible with stock seats (even the recaros)

OP
OP
Holmes

Holmes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2019 F150 King Ranch
5-6 point restraints need to be part of a system which includes a proper seat, and the last thing you want is to go ‘submarine’ under the lap belt in a 5-point belt without the correct through-seat bottom strap mount. They aren’t compatible with stock seats (even the recaros)
Thanks. The vendor’s website is misleading in that they show these harnesses installed with the stock seats. I’m returning the equipment and keeping the interior stock for now. As I do more track days and really get into the hobby, i’ll look to buy a dedicated track car. Regarding, the Recaros, they appear to have the slots in the seat back for a harness, is this for a 4 point, or that too not recommended?
Thank you for the information.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. The vendor’s website is misleading in that they show these harnesses installed with the stock seats. I’m returning the equipment and keeping the interior stock for now. As I do more track days and really get into the hobby, i’ll look to buy a dedicated track car. Regarding, the Recaros, they appear to have the slots in the seat back for a harness, is this for a 4 point, or that too not recommended?
Right, the Recaros have holes for 4-point harnesses, but no bottom seat holes for a 5 or 6 point. I run an 'Anti-submarining" ASM 4-point harness, but its not really something I'd recommend for a track car. I do a lot of autox so I'll take the risks for that purpose, and I run stock belts on the street.

Nick

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackstangs.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
If you get more into the hobby and do want a dedicated track car come talk to me. I've got one that I'm going to put up for sale soon with full roll cage, the whole deal.

What people have said about harness bars and really going all in or staying with the 3 point lap belt is true. Mostly, in the event of a roll over you really want to be able to move around if you don't have roll bar protection.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Seems like your shooting yourself in the foot. I expect a harness provides more control and safety 99% of the time. Is it worthwhile to compromise that for the 1% of the time it's worse? What about the stock airbags that are not designed to work with roll bars and cages? They remove them in race cars, but I never see that suggested for the track day, dual purpose car.