Sponsored

Hard to shift into 1st gear from stop

G8rbcn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350 & Audi A5 SB (RIP 2020 Explorer)
Recently I have had several instances of my car not shifting into first gear from a stop. Some details:

1. Car is a 2017 with 11k miles. Installed a MGW shifter about a year and half ago. Love it!
2. This issue usually happens when the car is warm/hot. Not on cold start.
3. Has happened after shifting out of reverse when manuevering in a parking lot.
4. No other shifter/transmission issues (smooth shifts, no other noises)

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like that mgw shifter needs a little adjustment. Make the adjustment when the trans is at operating temperature.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
So these things are known for vibrating...any chance that reverse lockout could’ve moved?

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Its possible..

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Recently I have had several instances of my car not shifting into first gear from a stop. Some details:

1. Car is a 2017 with 11k miles. Installed a MGW shifter about a year and half ago. Love it!
2. This issue usually happens when the car is warm/hot. Not on cold start.
3. Has happened after shifting out of reverse when manuevering in a parking lot.
4. No other shifter/transmission issues (smooth shifts, no other noises)

Thoughts?
Call George at MGW... if it’s the shifter, he’ll let you know.

Sponsored

Threebanger

I am legend.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bray
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Your reverse lockout might be a little too close.

UXXR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
I have a standard transmission and I have this issue from time to time as well. First gear is a little rough to get in. There were instances where I thought the car was in gear, but wasn't - made a cringeworthy khhhh noise.
When I posted that here, I was told by members that I wasn't alone, the transmission needed manhandling sometimes. It's not always, but half of the time, first gear needs some forcing. So, it might not be your short shifter, it might be the good ol Tremec.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a standard transmission and I have this issue from time to time as well. First gear is a little rough to get in. There were instances where I thought the car was in gear, but wasn't - made a cringeworthy khhhh noise.
When I posted that here, I was told by members that I wasn't alone, the transmission needed manhandling sometimes. It's not always, but half of the time, first gear needs some forcing. So, it might not be your short shifter, it might be the good ol Tremec.
Did you do the recall?

UXXR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Did you do the recall?
Nope.. I have a 2018, and at that time when I checked, it wasn't part of the recall. When I went to dealer for maintenance, they didn't tell me a recall either.
Also, my problem is not necessarily going from reverse into 1st. This rough first gear engagement happens when you sit on traffic lights as well.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nope.. I have a 2018, and at that time when I checked, it wasn't part of the recall. When I went to dealer for maintenance, they didn't tell me a recall either.
Also, my problem is not necessarily going from reverse into 1st. This rough first gear engagement happens when you sit on traffic lights as well.
Well you have two options...

1) replace the shifter,

2) let the dealer assess it for a warranty fix.

If it were me, I’d go option #1 with an MGW shifter.

Sponsored

UXXR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Well you have two options...

1) replace the shifter,

2) let the dealer assess it for a warranty fix.

If it were me, I’d go option #1 with an MGW shifter.
I agree. The dealer taking the shifter-trans apart to look around gives me anxiety. MGW might be the solution to try first for couple hundred dollars.

OP, sorry for hijacking your thread for a minute : )

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree. The dealer taking the shifter-trans apart to look around gives me anxiety. MGW might be the solution to try first for couple hundred dollars.

OP, sorry for hijacking your thread for a minute : )
I think you’re making the right choice. George stands behind his product and his service is second-to-none.

The differences btw the MGW shifter and the stock shifter are night and day. You will appreciate the quality that George puts into his product.

Last edited:

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I will occasionally have this issue myself too. I've learned if I either double clutch or wiggle the shifter left and right a few times that it will allow it to go into first. I also have the MGW and I believe it's a behavior on tremec's side. Who knows.. may be the fluid since its 30K miles but it will be interesting to see what it will be like when I swap to my track transmission. Would be interesting to see if the issue carries over.

Last edited:

foolwithtools

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
I have the opposite problem. Sometimes my transmission doesn't want to go all the way into reverse from 1st. If I go back into first and move the car forward a few inches in first, and then try to shift into reverse it goes all the way into reverse with no problems.

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I have the opposite problem. Sometimes my transmission doesn't want to go all the way into reverse from 1st. If I go back into first and move the car forward a few inches in first, and then try to shift into reverse it goes all the way into reverse with no problems.
This happens to me too. Not often but I chalked it up to the nature of the tremec.
Sponsored