Hand brake noises

Arashk998

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Arash
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
So I finally fulfilled my dream and took delivery of a second hand MY19 GT 4k milage, manual with recaros in magnetic grey.

Been enjoying the car alot but since last night whenever i pull the handbrake and get my foot off the brake pedal the whole car makes clunking noises even when getting out and moving around and it only stops when I’m out the car and nothing is moving.

before reaching out to the dealer and the whole process i wanted to try this forum first since from my experience of browsing here for a few years i know some of you are really knowledgeable.

I expect this to not be something normal since the noises are far too loud
Sponsored

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
daft question,
does the car make the same noises if you dont use the handbrake when you leave the car. Assuming you park on a flatish surface the car in gear will stop it going anywhere.
Does the car make the noises if you er wriggle about at standstill with the handbrake / footbrake off ?

OP
OP
Arashk998

Arashk998

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Arash
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
daft question,
does the car make the same noises if you dont use the handbrake when you leave the car. Assuming you park on a flatish surface the car in gear will stop it going anywhere.
Does the car make the noises if you er wriggle about at standstill with the handbrake / footbrake off ?
The noises are only there when the handbrake is applied.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Most of the cars I have had (I think the Mustang included) would make noise if it’s not on really tight and when there is suspension movement i.e. unloading or loading the car so the ride height changes etc.

WD :like:

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
My GT's handbrake when being applied makes fairly mechanical noises, so did the courtesy GT i had for a week and so did the demo car. Lots of play in them and I never leave on a slope without leaving it in gear too. The first few inches of pulling the handbrake up is just slack, mentioned it on both services and nothing was altered so i assume normal. Dont tell me Ford are lying to me and dont know what they are talking about!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
It's likely a feature of it being a hand brake caliper. Hateful design

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
My GT's handbrake when being applied makes fairly mechanical noises, so did the courtesy GT i had for a week and so did the demo car. Lots of play in them and I never leave on a slope without leaving it in gear too. The first few inches of pulling the handbrake up is just slack, mentioned it on both services and nothing was altered so i assume normal. Dont tell me Ford are lying to me and dont know what they are talking about!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, that slack is really annoying. I've more than once not tightened it enough and had the car start rolling even, so now I make sure to pull up far.

Search on this forum and you'll see many posts about how to tighten up the slack. Need to have the car up on the jack stands to do it, but once you locate the nut it looks like it's a couple of minutes of work at most if you have the tools. Unfortunately I did not have a deep enough 10mm socket when I tried to do it last month (missing a few millimeters), so will try borrow one from a mechanical-minded (bike guy) neighbour when I'll have to jack up the car again next week.

E.g. this one:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/how-to-adjust-your-parking-brake.25204/

OP
OP
Arashk998

Arashk998

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Arash
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Yeah the noises are still there but not as bad but now a bigger problem is that when I connect to my phone’s hotspot to get the sync update it just keeps searching and searching for an update even though at every start it tells me there’s an update available.
I’m also hoping the update will solve the quite frequent screen freeze problem.

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Yeah the noises are still there but not as bad but now a bigger problem is that when I connect to my phone’s hotspot to get the sync update it just keeps searching and searching for an update even though at every start it tells me there’s an update available.
I’m also hoping the update will solve the quite frequent screen freeze problem.
I've turned auto update off as it trys to download what appears to be a fairly large file and fails every time.
The actual ford website tells my cars upto date though.

OP
OP
Arashk998

Arashk998

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Arash
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
I've turned auto update off as it trys to download what appears to be a fairly large file and fails every time.
The actual ford website tells my cars upto date though.
The main reason why i want to do it is because of the frequent screen freezes. Sometimes it freezes and not even turning the car off at a traffic light fixes it as it needs to be turned off for a while until everything turns off.

Sponsored

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
The main reason why i want to do it is because of the frequent screen freezes. Sometimes it freezes and not even turning the car off at a traffic light fixes it as it needs to be turned off for a while until everything turns off.
Can you use the USB method?

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
USB method is definitely better for downloading but jezo it takes time to update in the car. If you do go USB, use a good quality stick and format to exFat cause some of those downloaded files are huge!

OP
OP
Arashk998

Arashk998

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Arash
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Update:
Handbrake noises were due to faulty handbrake cable and was fixed by the dealer at their cost. Handbrake is now sturdy when pulled up and car makes no noise whatsoever when parked at a slope.
Sponsored