Sponsored

Had the misfortune of being at the head end of a 5-car pileup...

David Schmidt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 PP1 401A
So four of us citizens are lined up at a stoplight, and along comes car #5 at a good clip, no brakes, just... bang. Here's the results of that first impact:
View media item 17733
By the time the force made its way up to me, it was just a nice solid tap from behind:
View media item 17734
So she's off at the body shop now. After they pulled the back end apart, they noticed quite a bit of stuff had been impacted behind all the plastic - an initial estimate of $1600 has increased to $4600. I've verified they're using OEM parts. All I'm out is time and diminished value, which I'll chase insurance for. So I'm not mad or anything - not like I need to do a ton of driving right now.

Car #4 had some passengers carted off in the ambulance, and #3 suffered a bloody nose - the rest of us came out unscathed.

0/10 would not recommend.
Sponsored

Drewgamer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Kona Blue Mustang GT Premium
Holy crap, $4600?!

I was having trouble even spotting any damage on your bumper, crazy to think of how much hidden damage there was (unless of course it's not REALLY that bad and the shop is just replacing everything because they know it's being covered by insurance?).

Did you ever find out what happened with car 1? Fall asleep at the wheel?

Wolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`18 Kona Blue Mustang Ecoboost PP, `10 Nissan GTR
Crazy it did that much damage considering it’s hard to even spot in that picture.

However from working on it, outside of the bumper itself, I know the wiring harness, backup sensors and some other things are in there that might be costly to replace with OEM.

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6
Man that sucks, you should be able to get a new rear bumper from a junk yard and just have it repainted for a lot cheaper. Look for a premium with the back up sensors.

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Looks like you have the backup sensors. I guess all that tech sh!t adds up quick n an accident. It’s mind blowing what these body shops want for a blemish now a days.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
So four of us citizens are lined up at a stoplight, and along comes car #5 at a good clip, no brakes, just... bang. Here's the results of that first impact:
View media item 17733
By the time the force made its way up to me, it was just a nice solid tap from behind:
View media item 17734Car #4 had some passengers carted off in the ambulance, and #3 suffered a bloody nose - the rest of us came out unscathed.
Happened to me a few years ago in my 335. I was #2 of 4 in the line. Ended up north of $12,000 and 8+ weeks.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=620070

Everybody walking at the end is most important. Cars are things. But, yeah.

OP
OP
David Schmidt

David Schmidt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 PP1 401A
Holy crap, $4600?!

I was having trouble even spotting any damage on your bumper, crazy to think of how much hidden damage there was (unless of course it's not REALLY that bad and the shop is just replacing everything because they know it's being covered by insurance?).

Did you ever find out what happened with car 1? Fall asleep at the wheel?
She was visibly distraught and was complaining that she didn't get any action out of her brake pedal. It was a 2002 Jag driven by a very young driver, so no telling what state of repair it was in. No way she was getting that thing maintained by a Jag dealer. ;-)

Crazy it did that much damage considering it’s hard to even spot in that picture.

However from working on it, outside of the bumper itself, I know the wiring harness, backup sensors and some other things are in there that might be costly to replace with OEM.
So the first estimate was to reshape the bumper and fix the dangling backup sensor. After they took the bumper off, there were two other things whose name escape me... the things that actually absorb the impact had done their things, and needed replacement. Then the bumper and rear valence. When you get up close, you can see lots of creases in several places plus some abrasion. All in all, though, you'd never suspect just looking casually at it.

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6
If insurance is paying for it than of course get new. Maybe try to get the Roush bumper for the quad tip exhaust.

hemistar1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2, 2017 F-150
If insurance is paying for it than of course get new. Maybe try to get the Roush bumper for the quad tip exhaust.

I believe the 18 has quads from factory but yes aftermarket catbacks Roush or Borla may be in the works for the OP.

Good luck on the repairs.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Glad you came out ok that’s the absolute most important situation. surprised it cost that much from a tap... insurance does pay off in cases like this hopefully she is well insured.

By the way what does your plate mean?

I keep hearing this diminished value claim although not sure how it works...

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
Glad you came out ok that’s the absolute most important situation.
You mean tied for most important with how the car fared in the accident, right? :D

20Magnetic18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2017 Toyota Tacoma
Thanks... wouldn’t have figured that out... still don’t understand it lol.
No... P-ark R-everse N-eutral D-rive L-ow.
Usually how older cars had the gear selector labeled in automatic cars. Not a perfect image but replace then 2 and 1 with the L.

upload_2020-7-11_7-33-7.jpeg
Sponsored