Gurney flap security

Bitten in '69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350, 03 Cobra, 90 GT, 82 GT
Just as nothing is ever foolproof, thieves can and do steal anything.
In an attempt to make it a bit tougher for them, I swapped the bolts holding the flap on.
Ordered a few torx M6x16mm stainless steel tamper proof bolts. Painted satin black, they blend right in. I used 16mm so that I could use a washer since the button head bolt is smaller in diameter than the OEM bolts.

20210418_161730.jpg
Sponsored

JZTRK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R''Ken'' 2016 GT350 2020 GT "Mollie"
I have the correct bits and half the time I use a smaller flat blade screwdriver to undo these at work

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
How does the gurney flap attach? Does the OEM Ford swing spoiler already have the mounting holes?

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
How does the gurney flap attach? Does the OEM Ford swing spoiler already have the mounting holes?
Yes, it has the holes and short screws that stay in it when the Gurney flap is not mounted. You replace with longer screws (provided) when you mount the Gurney flap. 2 minute job.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Are you talking about at the track?
Usually the quality of people at track days is fairly high. Typically more experienced owners might have a camera or two in the paddock. My Dewalt impact has a disassembled tile epoxied into a cutout. Lol its funny the newbs with a head on a swivel noticing thousands in tools seemingly ripe for the taking. Little do they realize how much that subtle behavior sticks out.

Last time I heard of someone stealing anything at a track day, the Brazoria County Sheriff's office sent 2 constables just to help locate the poor thief and get him off property safely since his truck had already had all 4 wheels removed while he was in an altercation caught with someone's tools.
Lol, all three tow truck drivers that were called refused to tow his truck off property. When the sheriff ordered every tow truck driver to help, they did. First guy winched the truck bed from 50 feet flipping it several times while dragging it onto flatbed. Second started winching what was left onto his flatbed and somehow most of the front suspension fell off during loading.
Third truck loaded the leftovers, suspension, front doors, hood, all the chopped up wire harness bits. Never heard about the trailer that he drove onto property, evidently brought a empty trailer without a car in it... Maybe he was thinking of snagging a whole car?
Lol, pretty sure all those parts ended up in different impound lots.

...Dont leave gurney on for parking at park n ride, or airport for a week, or running errands?
Save the gurney for track days and hard parking at cars n coffee?

Last edited:

Sponsored

65straight6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
09 Ram 6.7l 3500 4x4, 55 Studebaker P/U, ā€˜19 GT350
Gurney is for the track. Anything under 100mph isnā€™t doing anything except burning more fuel.
my Right Foot is in charge of all fuel burning and it does an exemplary job.

OP
OP
Bitten in '69

Bitten in '69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350, 03 Cobra, 90 GT, 82 GT
So, I guess from the responses here:
a) security bits have no value
b) I insulted the entire racing community
c) I am not permitted to use the features of the car that I paid for, as I choose to use them.

I am truly sorry to have created such offense and turmoil in your lives. My humble response follows:
a) I disagree, a screwdriver small enough to fit won't turn it. It keeps honest people honest.
b) I never said a word about the racing community or their integrity.
c) You can kiss my ass. I will use my car any way in which I choose. With or without a bolt on flap that came in the trunk.

Point45

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
josh
Vehicle(s)
19 gt350, 05 tacoma, 10 Ducati 1098SF
Don't worry, mine stays on the car too. I think it looks cool. If everything was supposed to be utilitarian I would be driving a prius.

But yeah those torx bits won't stop anyone, like wheel locks or the club they just make you feel better. They sell those bits at every hardware store and yes you can use a screwdriver to remove them if they are not threadlocked in.

c) I am not permitted to use the features of the car that I paid for, as I choose to use them.

I am truly sorry to have created such offense and turmoil in your lives. My humble response follows:
a) I disagree, a screwdriver small enough to fit won't turn it. It keeps honest people honest.
c) You can kiss my ass. I will use my car any way in which I choose. With or without a bolt on flap that came in the trunk.

Carbide

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Race Red w/white stripes Shelby GT350
Mine came with the handling package so I'm leaving mine on.
If someone steals it...well I'll cross that bridge when it comes.

Sponsored

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT

I thought the security bits were a brilliant idea!
The silly shit is how you know we all love you and reeaalllly want you to come play at Summit Point (especially since you are already been thinkn about it).
Its all fun whether you want to do Time Trials or just enjoy the noises the car makes and have fun with others lead/follow and ride with an instructor at an HPDE. Its like play racing for adults...

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Ahhhhhhh ............. Therein lies the whole problem. Seems Santa Anna failed to use them at the battle of San Jacinto. :facepalm:

65straight6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
09 Ram 6.7l 3500 4x4, 55 Studebaker P/U, ā€˜19 GT350
If It were me (and not my car), Iā€™d just slap some JB Weld on it and screw it onā€¦problem solved.

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Bondo fixes all ............. :cwl: