Sponsored

Gurney Flap On or Off

Txclyde1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT350#43
Coming from a guy who used to drive a convertible.
Interesting post and I can honestly say after owning my 2020 GT500 and never installed it for close to a year. I have hit some big speeds in my GT500 and noticed when I put the Gurney Flap on it was an eye opener. The back end in straight line high speeds starts dancing around. No lie it’s freaky and can definitely tell she’s not as fast being that down force on the back really catches a lot of air. Which in turn is more resistance for her and yes tracking her on curve after curve is what it’s designed for. But open road straight line not so much and if you look at the design of the different spoilers think about that as well. The Tack Package Carbon Fiber set up on the GT500 rear wing is nothing close to any other production Mustang. If your roll racing anyone, that gurney flap is not helping. And should I be wrong, than why did the guy who purchased my GT500 take it off when I know for a fact he tracked her on a big track? Looks cool but I am not putting mine back on after I bought mine back which is a whole other story and here’s the video of me buying her back. And he also removed my JLT air intake as well and put the air box back to stock. Some say the closed factory box helps keep a lot of heat out of the air box. Which in turn keeps the air cooler being fed into the motor.
Coming from a guy who used to drive a convertible.
Interesting post and I can honestly say after owning my 2020 GT500 and never installed it for close to a year. I have hit some big speeds in my GT500 and noticed when I put the Gurney Flap on it was an eye opener. The back end in straight line high speeds starts dancing around. No lie it’s freaky and can definitely tell she’s not as fast being that down force on the back really catches a lot of air. Which in turn is more resistance for her and yes tracking her on curve after curve is what it’s designed for. But open road straight line not so much and if you look at the design of the different spoilers think about that as well. The Tack Package Carbon Fiber set up on the GT500 rear wing is nothing close to any other production Mustang. If your roll racing anyone, that gurney flap is not helping. And should I be wrong, than why did the guy who purchased my GT500 take it off when I know for a fact he tracked her on a big track? Looks cool but I am not putting mine back on after I bought mine back which is a whole other story and here’s the video of me buying her back. And he also removed my JLT air intake as well and put the air box back to stock. Some say the closed factory box helps keep a lot of heat out of the air box. Which in turn keeps the air cooler being fed into the motor.
Couple of comments.The use on the GF does affect gas mileage , and it also helps the downforce . I spent two days each at Road Atlanta and Hallett driving HP Mach1 and GT500 HP and CFTP cars .At Road Atlanta I was consistently running in the 170’s in both GT500’s and in the 160’s in the HP Mack1’s. The GT500’s we’re both very stable with one exception.Don’t forget to remove the rain pan under the hood vents , as on the track at high speeds the front end does get a little light if you don’t.The downforce at Hallett is not as apparent as the speeds were not nearly as high.To sum up the GF on both HP cars really don’t do that much on the street but at a big high speed track they are an asset. On more thing I know of two that were stolen. Keep that in mind!!
Sponsored

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
I told the dealer to leave it in the trunk at delivery. It's in my attic still in the original packaging. The HP wing alone is big enough for me, didn't feel the need to make it look even bigger. Also have read threads about people's rear spoilers coming loose, the gurney flap pressing down on the back edge might make it more likely.

Last edited:

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
Man, don't look like a riceburner. It's bad enough with it off, with it on, it makes you look like a 22 year old guy who lives at home and drives his moms 2011 Civic that he and his friends have "modded out"! Don't be THAT guy.
The gurney flap hardly looks like a rice burner. n o rice burner would be using one and have it functional.

you know what looks more like a ricer? the CFTP GT500 with that wing. nothing wrong with the Mach 1 HP or base GT500 wing w/ gurney flap though

Sponsored

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
The gurney flap hardly looks like a rice burner. n o rice burner would be using one and have it functional.

you know what looks more like a ricer? the CFTP GT500 with that wing. nothing wrong with the Mach 1 HP or base GT500 wing w/ gurney flap though
Reminds me a lot of the fox body Saleen wing from when I was a kid and could only dream about owning a mustang!

17F4CDD7-ADB7-40F6-8027-0D5B104E4ADA.jpeg

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Man, don't look like a riceburner. It's bad enough with it off, with it on, it makes you look like a 22 year old guy who lives at home and drives his moms 2011 Civic that he and his friends have "modded out"! Don't be THAT guy.
Clearly you've never been anywhere near a track with real race/performance cars if you think a functional wing is rice.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
These threads are great if you want to gouge your eyeballs out.
Sponsored