Sponsored

GTPP in Winter

redgt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP, 5.2 FPC Swap, Sync 3 Retrofit
I am moving to Iowa next week and well being from Texas I have never seen a real winter.

I have a 15 GTPP and also a Diesel 4x4 Excursion. Which should I take with me, I don't know how long I will be in Iowa but I am sure I will see all of the winter up there.

Last time I had the Excursion up in Nebraska for the cold weather I ended up freezing it because I didn't know to plug in the block heater and also put fuel additives in the tank.

I hate being without my 5.0, its much more fun to drive, but I don't know this time.

Which should I take, and also how is the 2015 GT in winter?

Sponsored

P4RKER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Fastback
If you were used to winter driving I would say get a set of blizzaks and have fun. With you not being up to date on your winter driving skills you should probably take the 4x4.

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
I am moving to Iowa next week and well being from Texas I have never seen a real winter.

I have a 15 GTPP and also a Diesel 4x4 Excursion. Which should I take with me, I don't know how long I will be in Iowa but I am sure I will see all of the winter up there.

Last time I had the Excursion up in Nebraska for the cold weather I ended up freezing it because I didn't know to plug in the block heater and also put fuel additives in the tank.

I hate being without my 5.0, its much more fun to drive, but I don't know this time.

Which should I take, and also how is the 2015 GT in winter?

If you can only take one, the smartest choice is the 4x4 Excursion. The GT does well in winter, however.

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
with some amazing winter tires and the snow mode winter is cake

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'07 A4, '19 Ram Rebel
Remember, people in the north east drove rw and fw cars and sedans until Audi and Subaru introduced AWD cars to the masses back in the days of the dinosaurs, so its possible

There's a video where they drive an Ecoboost on a Canadian Icelake (land of endless winter's) with snow tires without the snow/rain mode and did fine with these studded snow tires

All satire aside, you'll do fine with snow tires man

Sponsored

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
Take the 4x4 and still be careful. Just bc its big and 4x4 doesnt make it winter immune. Even an inch of snow can cause major headaches. Plus itll be good if you need the space.

StangBANG

Patience; long suffering.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
15 Magnetic GT. Performance Pack Premium Redline
I have a set of nokian hakkapeliitta for winter on my gtpp...did amazing last year with them

willmkent

'Twas sure good see'in ya
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
you should take the 4x4 because you will HAVE to buy winter tires for the stang to run it in the winter

OP
OP

redgt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP, 5.2 FPC Swap, Sync 3 Retrofit
Thanks everyone, I guess depending on how much the snow tires are I will probably just drive the 5.0. Is there anything I would have to do fluid wise to drive this car in the cold?

Really, thanks again guys

Sponsored

khaosryder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
'15 RR 100A EB PP

73MachI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT M6 PP ESP Magnetic
Assuming you are following Scheduled Maintenance as per the 2015 Owner's Manual then the only other concern I can think of is your coolant if you are entering or leaving a "Severe Climate" (page 217).

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, Recaros/2014 Explorer Sport 4X4
Traction and clearance reasons I would go with the 4X4, if a road requires chains and AWD and its the only way home your out of luck in the Mustang. If you know the area and are comfortable with it and have a good set of snow tires then its up too you.
Sponsored