AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
Greets all,

Since the next few days are going to be nice, I was going to add the inserts to the splitter and the bumper. My question is (If it was asked already sorry) but what have you guys used for the gt500 insert as an added component for it to stick? The splitter I am going to be using a glue primer but I didnt want to use something that is going to ruin the paint by using the same primer I picked up for the splitter. The primer I got for the splitter was 3m tape primer.

Thanks.
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Inserts for what?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
the gt500 on the bumper

2020-09-13 18.25.07.jpg
Oh, sorry. I used 3M adhesion promoter. My suggestion would be to try to find it in a bottle form and use a Q tip. I used the pads and they made a bit of a mess. It didn't play nice with the xpel either, so if you have xpel, either get the bottle or take your time.

Ayyy. You from Jersey? What exit?

OP
OP
AngelDeath

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Oh, sorry. I used 3M adhesion promoter. My suggestion would be to try to find it in a bottle form and use a Q tip. I used the pads and they made a bit of a mess. It didn't play nice with the xpel either, so if you have xpel, either get the bottle or take your time.

I didnt know if there was something else, planned to use the 3m tape primer but didnt know if there was something else that could be used but didnt ruin the paint. I have small touchup paint brushes that are 1.5mm to apply it. And currently nothing on the car so it will be going directly onto the car.

And off the turnpike Exit 4

Sponsored

OP
OP
AngelDeath

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)

And according to a search thats for plastic, so did you use that on the gt500 or the shelby inserts?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
AngelDeath

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Well I'll wait for anyone else to chime in with their thoughts or what they have done for the gt500 inserts.

Sponsored

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
I only cleaned the splitter letters with alcohol, and stuck the letters without any promoter. Have not had a single issue. I have yet to install the bumper inserts, as I am not sold on the look yet, but if I do I will do the same as I did for the splitter.

I got my inserts from Zimcraft, so that may be the difference. Perhaps he uses a stickier vinyl....

OP
OP
AngelDeath

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I only cleaned the splitter letters with alcohol, and stuck the letters without any promoter. Have not had a single issue. I have yet to install the bumper inserts, as I am not sold on the look yet, but if I do I will do the same as I did for the splitter.

I got my inserts from Zimcraft, so that may be the difference. Perhaps he uses a stickier vinyl....
Well I have a set from them, but I also have a set from one of the members here that according to him sold the template to them, my concern is it holding during washing and power washing. Maybe I'll try nothing on the gt 500 insert considering I have two sets of each

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Well I have a set from them, but I also have a set from one of the members here that according to him sold the template to them, my concern is it holding during washing and power washing. Maybe I'll try nothing on the gt 500 insert considering I have two sets of each
I worked with Zimcraft to make a set, and that member also sent him template. What I am thinking is Zimcraft uses a stickier vinyl, and that's why mine have stayed on. Again, I am just guessing.

OP
OP
AngelDeath

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I worked with Zimcraft to make a set, and that member also sent him template. What I am thinking is Zimcraft uses a stickier vinyl, and that's why mine have stayed on. Again, I am just guessing.
Thanks for the info. Think I'm going to wait for Wed. since its going to be 80, probably stick better then tomorrow at 73.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
It all depends on the vinyl's adhesive. If they use 3m red tape or similar, probably not an issue. But, if it's standard vinyl adhesive, I would take @marklboris's suggestion and use a little bit of silicone sealer on the back. I lost a set of splitter letters in the airstream with only the vinyl adhesive. With the silicone, they are held down much better.
Sponsored