GT350 vs GT Premium Track Pack vs Bullitt

torqued

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Yeah, it was a Firebird, and it would have to be gold. And now I have the Rockford Files music stuck in my head...
Same here. And that groovy guitar solo in the middle of the theme song. My current car is a dream car to me, but, maybe because of the era I grew up in, my dream car since being a kid has been a gold T/A, Y88 special edition: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eTax-5UV9I

When I was shopping for my 2001 GT I also test drove the Camaro in the beautiful pewter color that they had at the time. The girlfriend drives an old Acura in some kind of gold metallic. Love those kind of colors.
Sponsored

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
1.) Buy a GT350 or Bullitt used w/low miles from CarMax
2.) Purchase one of CarMax's crazy warranties where they cover anything/everything at zero additional cost
3.) ???
4.) Profit

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Same here. And that groovy guitar solo in the middle of the theme song. My current car is a dream car to me, but, maybe because of the era I grew up in, my dream car since being a kid has been a gold T/A, Y88 special edition: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eTax-5UV9I
Very close to a car I almost bought back in 1979. In my case, a Firebird Formula with the T/A 6.6 (and therefore the 4-speed manual), black with silver highlights, exact same mechanical spec as the T/A, but twin inlets instead of the shaker scoop and no the screaming chicken on the hood.. Beautiful car, a year old, at a local dealer. From memory, I figured it was worth about $9000.. Salesman asked for $11,000, near original retail, ignoring the 1-year-old / 9000 miles issue. I offered $7,000, he said it's worth much more than that, and I countered with it being worth much less than $11,000. He told me to come back when I was serious. I went by 2 weeks later with the Corvette I bought, but it was his day off. Damn.

CaliforniaGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Factory Five Cobra
What do you guys think about buying. 18 GT from Avis car rental? They typically sell them. after 25k miles for relatively cheap. Whats the wordt case scenarion, would Ford cover a grenande coyote at under 36k if it was a rental? (i rent one every week, i dont abuse them, and I know most of the people that rent them dont even turn off traction control.. Just wondering what some of the strongly opinionated chaps here think...

I just want a cheap 460hp DD/ occasional track car... (wiff no payments)

Sponsored

Durthol

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Premium & Elite, HP, Recaros, Tremec
I was in a similar quandary when looking for a new daily driver (and that's the important part): buy a low-mileage GT350, load up a GT w/PP1 and all the goodies, or find a dealer willing to sell a Bullitt without trying to add that markup crap. Here was my thought process, though yours may vary:

1. I love the GT350, I really do. But a brand-new one was out of my price range, and I didn't want to buy one that had been tracked long and hard. Let's be honest, you find a low-mileage example out there, it's some guy who's tracked it a bunch of times for a year or two and wants to move on. If it was going to be a weekend/track day car, maybe the GT350 is where I'd have ended up -- but I didn't want someone else's headache for the next 6-8 years; I don't have the time or budget for a project car right now.

2. The GT. This was where I originally ended up, as I placed a special order for a Premium GT with all the bits and bobs. I was content waiting, but after 5 weeks with no VIN or build date, I kept remembering photos of that gorgeous Dark Highland Green and I kept thinking...

3. The Bullitt. So I triple-checked with my insurance agent (to make sure I wasn't looking at a $1000/yr increase over a GT), double-checked with my wife, and started hunting down dealers with multiple Bullitts on their lot. Found a few to compete against each other and ended up with K2272 a couple months back.

I don't regret it one single bit. I paid just a tiny bit more than I would have paid for the GT I'd ordered, and now I drive something that is really unique -- at least around here. It's gorgeous, comfortable, and perfect for a low-mileage (8k/yr) DD.
IMG_7069-2.jpg

nimblepony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
@CaliforniaGT, you can have fun at the track with any Mustang, really. I did a few upgrades (engine tunes, drive shaft for safety, 3.73:1 gears, tires + wheels again for safety, etc.) to my '13 Mustang (V6) and had a ton of fun.

For original poster, when I decided to move up from my '13 Mustang I went in to look at ordering a GT w/PP2, magneride, etc. The dealership had 2 new GT350s in, though, just put on the splitter and they let me test drive them. That's what sold me on my GT350! The engine, the pure fun, and knowing I had something special. 8,000 miles later I've never eaten a drop of oil. I change it twice a year whether the car asks for it or not. My car was broken in properly and strictly according to the owner's manual, not babied. Voodoo lives life fast and hard and loves it.

EVL-S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I'll give this a go...

I love my GT PP1, however buy the GT350. Better yet, buy a 2018 GT350. Dealerships near me are selling them for $56k which is $5k under MSRP. They are also selling the 2019's for $76k, lol. Some "suspension changes" and an uglier rear spoiler are hardly worth $20k IMO. If I didn't have my 18 5.0 right now, I'd buy the 2018 GT350 every time. Alas, when I was purchasing they were still tacking on ADM and for a third car for me, just couldn't rationalize it when the 2018 GT was throwing down 460HP.

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
Really? You couldn't feel the Voodoo wake up until you were WAY over the speed limit? What were you in, a 30 mph zone? Comments like this just make me laugh.

The Ecoboost boys will say the same thing about the Coyote. Go drive one OP and judge for yourself.
First gear lasted about 1 second and I was going about 50 mph. Second gear I was hitting 75 mph in another 2 seconds. So yeah, its kind of hard to enjoy hitting the higher RPM's where the engine really comes alive. On a road course at high speeds I know it would be a lot more fun. But on the street, where I literally drove my 2017 GT PP back to back vs. the GT350, my GT PP with tune actually felt a little more responsive. Know what else, I could hear that the engine noise in the GT350 was coming from in the car. (the pumped in noise) I had removed the sound tube on my GT, so I had thoroughly compared windows up & down versions, etc. Not a big deal, but I'd have disabled that in Forscan if I owned a GT350.

This x 100 times. I traded a 2017 Auto GT in for my GT350 and would do again in a heartbeat. The ride is almost the same and I daily drove the GT and now the GT350. The main difference is the driving experience. Nothing I have ever drove compares to how much enjoyment I get out of the GT350. The low end torque is not a big deal, just do not drive in the low RPM band. :) Shift at higher RPMs so you can hear more of the engine. Nothing puts a smile on my face like driving the GT350 to and from work, I think even my co-workers enjoy my more pleasant attitude. lol
Glad to hear you're enjoying it. I do love the front fascia of the GT350 about 5,000% more than any GT.

I was in a similar quandary when looking for a new daily driver (and that's the important part): buy a low-mileage GT350, load up a GT w/PP1 and all the goodies, or find a dealer willing to sell a Bullitt without trying to add that markup crap. Here was my thought process, though yours may vary:

1. I love the GT350, I really do. But a brand-new one was out of my price range, and I didn't want to buy one that had been tracked long and hard. Let's be honest, you find a low-mileage example out there, it's some guy who's tracked it a bunch of times for a year or two and wants to move on. If it was going to be a weekend/track day car, maybe the GT350 is where I'd have ended up -- but I didn't want someone else's headache for the next 6-8 years; I don't have the time or budget for a project car right now.

2. The GT. This was where I originally ended up, as I placed a special order for a Premium GT with all the bits and bobs. I was content waiting, but after 5 weeks with no VIN or build date, I kept remembering photos of that gorgeous Dark Highland Green and I kept thinking...

3. The Bullitt. So I triple-checked with my insurance agent (to make sure I wasn't looking at a $1000/yr increase over a GT), double-checked with my wife, and started hunting down dealers with multiple Bullitts on their lot. Found a few to compete against each other and ended up with K2272 a couple months back.

I don't regret it one single bit. I paid just a tiny bit more than I would have paid for the GT I'd ordered, and now I drive something that is really unique -- at least around here. It's gorgeous, comfortable, and perfect for a low-mileage (8k/yr) DD.
IMG_7069-2.jpg
If the Bullit or PP2 were automatic I think I might have jumped back in a Mustang. But for now, I'm waiting on the sidelines, until I can get something that can be a garage queen and back up driver for me OR MY non-manual-driving WIFE. She loved my 2014 GT convertible b/c it was Auto and she would take it with the top down and smile as she drove around town.

If I don't find something that really temps me in the next couple of years, I'll just hold out another year or 2 after that until my oldest son is driving age, and get him an Ecoboost Performance Pack Convertible, that I can drive for fun sometimes. I won't get him a GT, as I know how I drove when I had a high HP car in my teens!

Sponsored

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I'll give this a go...

I love my GT PP1, however buy the GT350. Better yet, buy a 2018 GT350. Dealerships near me are selling them for $56k which is $5k under MSRP. They are also selling the 2019's for $76k, lol. Some "suspension changes" and an uglier rear spoiler are hardly worth $20k IMO. If I didn't have my 18 5.0 right now, I'd buy the 2018 GT350 every time. Alas, when I was purchasing they were still tacking on ADM and for a third car for me, just couldn't rationalize it when the 2018 GT was throwing down 460HP.
i am in the same boat. I had a 2016 GT coupe, was thinking about a 350 when the ADM's started coming down, but got side tracked trying out a 2017 GT Vert. It was fun, but not ultimately what I wanted. Bottom line, test drive all of them and go with what your heart and gut really wants. I am currently shopping the 2017/18 GT350's myself, but will also test drive the 2019 PP1 just to be sure. I was hesitant because of the oil consumption issues, but there are guys out there who don't have an issue and the majority of the one's that did got an engine replacement under warranty and are happy now.
I stopped in at a local Ford dealership that had a 2019 GT350 in the show room. It's funny, the sharks ask "what brought you in?" and you tell them you want to look at the 350 and they all scatter. This gave me plenty of time to look it over....Anyway, I was not impressed with the updates. The new spoiler is ugly and looks like it has too many holes in bad places to replace with the 16-18 track pack spoiler; the interior is now a suede insert which looks cheap- may hold up better than the alcantara but don't know for sure. Some soft touch bits which I have seen others on the forum add. This one did not have the updated stereo,but that is an easy fix on the older 350's if you ever get tired of hearing the engine/exhaust. I don't like the new wheel design as much as the original and the cup2 tires make no sense other than on the R. I would have to swap them out for regular MPSS or SPSS4S. Seems like they are trying to distance the 350 from the PP2 GT
There are a lot of used 350's out there right now and I feel like the pricing should be lower, but it is peak time for sports cars. The 2017's should be sub 50 as the warranties are running out.
Good luck with your decision.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
First gear lasted about 1 second and I was going about 50 mph. Second gear I was hitting 75 mph in another 2 seconds.
Wow! 0-50 in 1 second and 0-75 in 3 seconds. Those are pretty impressive times. Sure seems like the old Voodoo must have been pretty wide awake to me.

bob13bob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge caravan, Acura rsx
If I were buying a manual Mustang coupe, GT350 hands down. Fantastic transmission, glorious engine, love the looks - sure, it's more dialed into track use, but it seems like there'd be something more special about the ownership experience.

Hahaha, and since someone said Camaro, I'll be that guy: I just saw a new '19 2SS with 1LE package, for $10K off locally, that's $37K for a heck of a vehicle. The weird '19 front actually works better on the 1LE, I think because of the blacked out hood.
37k, has tremec like the gt350, and magneride, and wider better wheels than pp1, and better torque band. Im in the fence between both, mustang looks better but mustang trans and engine noises has me worries. Camaro visability is meh but it's hard to ignore the value of that drivetrain vs mustangs.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
IMO, there isn't really much of a reason to buy a GT350. The PP2 will perform on par with it on a road course and have better engine characteristics on the street, while not lacking anything driven all-out. Get you a diff cooler, and you have a solid track car that's brand new for $40k right there. Cheapest track pack GT350s I'm finding are in the high-$40k to low-$50k range, and those are for used models. that kind of money can get you a FULLY LOADED PP2, brand new and custom ordered with digital dash and everything. I also personally think the 18+ looks better, but that's just me. Really, the only reason to buy a GT350 is if you get off on people saying "Ooh, is that a Shelby?!"

Now here comes the butthurt Shelby guys...

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
IMO, there isn't really much of a reason to buy a GT350. The PP2 will perform on par with it on a road course and have better engine characteristics on the street, while not lacking anything driven all-out. Get you a diff cooler, and you have a solid track car that's brand new for $40k right there. Cheapest track pack GT350s I'm finding are in the high-$40k to low-$50k range, and those are for used models. that kind of money can get you a FULLY LOADED PP2, brand new and custom ordered with digital dash and everything. I also personally think the 18+ looks better, but that's just me. Really, the only reason to buy a GT350 is if you get off on people saying "Ooh, is that a Shelby?!"

Now here comes the butthurt Shelby guys...
I agree there's no good reason to buy the Shelby. I really hate mine. I drove it in to work this morning and I was just hating life during the entire trip.
Sponsored