Sponsored

GT350 Track / Race Weight Reduction Thread

LAPTIMZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I’ve researched most weight reduction threads on this forum and many others and would like to have a spot to compile information for others looking to shed pounds from the GT350. This thread is intended for track cars and race builds however some people (dual duty weekend warriors) may find low hanging fruit that applies to their circumstances. This is a relevant talking point due to the intention of this thread being the lack of f*cks given re: NVH and daily drive ability. I have noted the sources I researched through the good ol’ search engine below. Please feel free to add information, anecdotal evidence, or just ideas that may benefit the GT350 in trimming the fat to improve power to weight while on the track. DISCLAIMER: I did not post this in the Road Race section for two reasons 1.) Lack of visibility, meaning most of the knowledge base frequents this forum than the racing section 2.) There are more possibilities that apply to this platform that I don’t want to clutter a thread with S197/Fox info.

Feel free to add:

Weight:
Model:
Setup:
Reduction/Items Removed:

Tractor Junk: 3595 lbs (at the time he posted this, he mentioned AP kit and may be installed now)

Main weight reduction:
12-24 Antigravity battery with Morris mount
OMP fixed back drivers seat with fixed mount (no sliders). I kept the stock passenger seat, for now.
QA1 carbon driveshaft
Every suspension component and rubber mount/ bushing is changed (except the magneride shocks). Almost all of this weight reduction is unsprung, too.
No carpet from the front seats back

Smaller weight reducing items:
Deleted washer bottle and pump
Removed various interior trim
Trimming/ reducing/ eliminating various non critical brackets, mounts, shields, etc. Lots of this.
Removed speakers

In process:
AP brakes
AC elimination (should've bought a base R)

Mach 4.6: 3430lbs

“racemode” – interior and trunk lining
Carbon Doors
Carbon Trunk
Carbon Hood
Race Seats
Sponsored

dewmsEleanor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I got the glorious chance to ride at Daytona 2 weeks ago with Chin motorsports here in FL. First time i got to do a weigh-in on my car. Stock gt350 non-R clocked in at a hefty 3755. Therefore, I will be watching this thread with due diligence.

I'm also in the realm of "weekend warrior" I suppose, as I daily drive my shelby and hit up the track several times or more per year.

Rob-17GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 HP, 2020 F350 Powerstroke

dewmsEleanor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
How much fuel?
From what I remember, it was at most 1/2 a tank. I had just driven about an hour to get there, and had not refueled. It was 3945 with me inside, and I'm a bit on the shorter side and clock in at 190 lbs.

One of the things I'm looking into is the rear seat delete. I researched, and discovered i could lose some 20 lbs there.

Does anyone know if it is still possible to throw seats back into the car with a delete kit. Say, in case you know ahead of time you need the back seats and then pull them back out later again?

Sponsored

Rob-17GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 HP, 2020 F350 Powerstroke
Thanks!

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I got the glorious chance to ride at Daytona 2 weeks ago with Chin motorsports here in FL. First time i got to do a weigh-in on my car. Stock gt350 non-R clocked in at a hefty 3755. Therefore, I will be watching this thread with due diligence.

I'm also in the realm of "weekend warrior" I suppose, as I daily drive my shelby and hit up the track several times or more per year.
Donny

I am also Central Florida (Northwest Orlando). Would love to meet up sometime.

I will be (along with @Tomster) in Daytona for the Dec 6-8 Track event.

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Most of the stuff from above. Antigravity ATX-20-HD (saves about 22 pounds), Lightweight Watson 4pt cage (saves 30 pounds over standard cage), and also a reduced amount of gas in the tank (A 30 min session is fine with 3/4 tank and that saves about another 30 pounds).

Edited to add: for those with regular 350's, a set of lightweight wheels (forged) and track tires makes a huge difference.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Donny

I am also Central Florida (Northwest Orlando). Would love to meet up sometime.

I will be (along with @Tomster) in Daytona for the Dec 5-7 Track event.
Dec 6-8

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Rgr that. On a side note, registration closed yesterday.
Yes it did, 2 friends from the Tampa were trying to get registered yesterday. I was over there yesterday and reminded them.

Their comments was OH SHEET!!! totally forgot!!

Hope they made it to registration.
Sponsored