GT350 racing thermostat question

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
It was sarcasm. I’m very aware how a cooling system works.

When an engine is cold it needs a much richer (more fuel) mixture to burn resulting in a dirtier and inefficient burn. So a modern car tries to get the engine up to operating temp as quickly as possible. So when the engine is cold and you start it, the thermostat acts as a valve to prevent coolant from circulating through the radiator, to quickly warm up the engine. Then when the coolant reaches the thermostat temp it opens to allow the coolant to be circulating through the radiator. Once this occurs (open loop), the thermostat stays open and has no other effect on operating temp.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Luis350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luis
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
That's a good way to do it, but again it won't do much. If you're doing anything more than just putting around town or idling, the 170* tstat won't do much even with the fans on earlier. You need more cooling capacity to reduce CHTs. That would be a bigger radiator, hood venting, radiator ducting etc.
So I do have a hood vent, I am getting a bigger radiator and then the t-stat to assist. I don’t have heating issues while putting around town when the temps aren’t 100+ but when I’m doing doing 5-10mph in traffic there isn’t much airflow

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Hood vents do help. You may or may not need them. I took off the rubber seals on the sides of the hood, leave the one in the rear. This was all I needed to make 20 min sessions.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
It was sarcasm. I’m very aware how a cooling system works.
We know what sarcasm is. There was nothing in your post to clearly indicate it, and even though I suspected it I didn’t want to brush off someone who may have genuinely been asking the community how part of their car works. You could have seriously been saying you learn something new everyday and asking why it doesn’t affect running temp. Then because your writing didn’t convey your sarcasm as clearly as you envisioned you ridiculed two people who tried to help when you asked.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Luis350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luis
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
So…..can someone point me in the direction of this Mishimoto thermostat, I’ve looked for it but couldn’t find it.

Sponsored

Greg35

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
' 18 GT350
@LOUIS350: Ck out the Reisch 170° thermostat. It is offered by Lethal Performance I see.

OP
OP

Luis350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luis
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
@LOUIS350: Ck out the Reisch 170° thermostat. It is offered by Lethal Performance I see.
I seen that one one but was looking for a mishimoto one. If I can’t find it I’ll go with the Reisch one

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I have the Reisch, works fine.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I seen that one one but was looking for a mishimoto one. If I can’t find it I’ll go with the Reisch one
It looks like you're dead set on doing this, which is fine. But I (along with a few others on here) have already warned you that just doing this alone is not going to do anything for your cooling issues that you mentioned in one of your posts: "I had my car go into limp mode while racing".

Just wanted to put that out there so you have the right expectations of this mod.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
It looks like you're dead set on doing this, which is fine. But I (along with a few others on here) have already warned you that just doing this alone is not going to do anything for your cooling issues that you mentioned in one of your posts:
He is also installing a larger radiator. Larger rad plus lower temp T-Stat = cooler running car.
Sponsored