GT350 racing thermostat question

Luis350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luis
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Searched before posting this but couldn’t find anything.

Is there a Mishimoto 160t-stat for our cars? I will be adding the mishimoto radiator and would like to do the thermostat as well.

thanks for any advice
Sponsored

Dig-It

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
GT500KR (0758), GT500 (N2617), GT500 (N3432)
Just curious, why do you need either?

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Being he’s in El Paso, it’s hotter then ….. in the summer. It’s a smart upgrade here in the SW where the temps are often triple digits. There is a noticeable difference with the Mishimoto over oem here. 170 t stat works fine.

OP
OP

Luis350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luis
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Being he’s in El Paso, it’s hotter then ….. in the summer. It’s a smart upgrade here in the SW where the temps are often triple digits. There is a noticeable difference with the Mishimoto over oem here. 170 t stat works fine.
This correct, after work during the summer time when stuck in the rush hour traffic temps unfortunately get high while cruising at low speeds. I also have forced induction and race the car so I want better cooling.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
I had the mishi on my 350 with the whipple setup(170). Worked very well. Even in stop and go and the ac full tilt.

This correct, after work during the summer time when stuck in the rush hour traffic temps unfortunately get high while cruising at low speeds. I also have forced induction and race the car so I want better cooling.

Sponsored

Dig-It

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
GT500KR (0758), GT500 (N2617), GT500 (N3432)
Cool, thanks for the answers

I haven’t been in a Mustang that needed the engine cooling system upgraded in quite some time. Now I know a bit more.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
You guys know the thermostat has nothing to do with the running temperature of the car and has no function once the engine is warm right? I’m trying to see your reason for changing it.

Reactions: luc

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
No shxt. Learn something every day. :fingerscrossed: Explain to me how the tstat doesn’t affect the running temperature of the car.

You guys know the thermostat has nothing to do with the running temperature of the car and has no function once the engine is warm right? I’m trying to see your reason for changing it.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Explain to me how the tstat doesn’t affect the running temperature of the car.
The tstat just determines when the coolant should start being cooled down, but generally doesn't mean it's what determines the temperature of the engine. Fan speed and radiator size are generally what dictate the running temperature. In the tune you can see the fans ramping up and down based on a desired target temperature.

While a cooler tstat will get the coolant flowing through the radiator sooner, if the radiator and fans can't disperse the heat produced by the engine the coolant temperature will continue to rise. So regardless if the OP has a 160*, 180* or OEM tstat, the coolant will settle at a temperature that the fans and radiator can maintain.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
No shxt. Learn something every day. :fingerscrossed: Explain to me how the tstat doesn’t affect the running temperature of the car.
When an engine is cold it needs a much richer (more fuel) mixture to burn resulting in a dirtier and inefficient burn. So a modern car tries to get the engine up to operating temp as quickly as possible. So when the engine is cold and you start it, the thermostat acts as a valve to prevent coolant from circulating through the radiator, to quickly warm up the engine. Then when the coolant reaches the thermostat temp it opens to allow the coolant to be circulating through the radiator. Once this occurs (open loop), the thermostat stays open and has no other effect on operating temp.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Once this occurs (open loop), the thermostat stays open and has no other effect on operating temp.
Only if the radiator is too small. The T-stat opens and closes all the time. It works like the T-stat on your heating and cooling system at home.

OP
OP

Luis350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luis
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
The tstat just determines when the coolant should start being cooled down, but generally doesn't mean it's what determines the temperature of the engine. Fan speed and radiator size are generally what dictate the running temperature. In the tune you can see the fans ramping up and down based on a desired target temperature.

While a cooler tstat will get the coolant flowing through the radiator sooner, if the radiator and fans can't disperse the heat produced by the engine the coolant temperature will continue to rise. So regardless if the OP has a 160*, 180* or OEM tstat, the coolant will settle at a temperature that the fans and radiator can maintain.
I’m addition to getting the thermostat and bigger radiator I will get my tune modified to have the fans turn on at 170. I had my car go into limp mode while racing due to my heads getting to hot. I did say I have forced induction and race the car, just wanting the car to have better cooling than what’s currently on it.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Thermostat only control the minimum temperature, what control the maximum temperature is the system Btu’s capacity

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I’m addition to getting the thermostat and bigger radiator I will get my tune modified to have the fans turn on at 170. I had my car go into limp mode while racing due to my heads getting to hot. I did say I have forced induction and race the car, just wanting the car to have better cooling than what’s currently on it.
That's a good way to do it, but again it won't do much. If you're doing anything more than just putting around town or idling, the 170* tstat won't do much even with the fans on earlier. You need more cooling capacity to reduce CHTs. That would be a bigger radiator, hood venting, radiator ducting etc.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
You guys need to learn what sarcasm is. You just posted what the benefit of a larger radiator is and why. That’s what the op’s initial post was about.

Sponsored