GT350 or Mach 1

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Buy the GT350 throw on a resonator delete then rev it up to 8k and let off the gas slowly and you will understand the choice you made
I often wonder if people would be so ape-shit about the voodoo if the redline was 7500 instead of 8250. It's like that extra 750 rpm over the coyote are all that matters.

The GT350 is considerably faster on track (in track rats terms) then the Mach 1 and the lack of the rear Brembo setup is a difference. Not dissing the Mach 1. Would love to be able to have both
I've been hoping to see some objective evidence since last spring... Mach 1 handling package vs GT350 with the same driver on the same track, and see what kind of times they come up with. Until that happens, saying one would be faster than the other is just speculation.
Sponsored

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Mach one with the 10r80 and a whipple would be the baddest car on the streets. Thats what I would get if I was buying today. Decided to just whipple my GT and mod it up and I am happy with that.

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
I often wonder if people would be so ape-shit about the voodoo if the redline was 7500 instead of 8250. It's like that extra 750 rpm over the coyote are all that matters.

I've been hoping to see some objective evidence since last spring... Mach 1 handling package vs GT350 with the same driver on the same track, and see what kind of times they come up with. Until that happens, saying one would be faster than the other is just speculation.
I mean I get it, the GT350 is more track focused and is the better track car, that's cool. And the voodoo does sound better than the Mach 1.

But yea, pretending that the GT350 somehow has a magical performance envelope that the Mach doesn't even approach is aggravating. But it's the internet, and you aren't going to convince anyone either way, not that it really matters. Just killing time with fun/pointless arguments hah

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I mean I get it, the GT350 is more track focused and is the better track car, that's cool. And the voodoo does sound better than the Mach 1.

But yea, pretending that the GT350 somehow has a magical performance envelope that the Mach doesn't even approach is aggravating. But it's the internet, and you aren't going to convince anyone either way, not that it really matters. Just killing time with fun/pointless arguments hah
Not even approach is not what anyone is saying. But, being a GT350 thread, a lot are track focused and therinlies the difference. A two second faster time on a four mule road course is a lot to track guys. Is the Mach 1 slow? by no means! Its a great car and it is fast

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R

My info came from Ford drivers.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I mean you're not wrong that the truck coyote will be easier to find, but I have no reason to believe the Mustang version will be rare, with what 60k+ cars a year since 2018, and they are most likely going to use it on the S650 as well; hell if you did replace it, like you mention, it would likely be an upgrade with whatever they do in 2024. Either way TBH I doubt most people will have to completely replace an engine, but $10k versus $25k or whatever the Voodoo cost is worth noting.

RE the brakes, you guys are of course entitled to you own subjective opinions, but both C&D and R&T recorded infintestimly shorter breaking distances for the Mach 1 v the 350 when on the same tires. Since I don't track my car I can't comment on track usage, but I can say the Mach brakes are very good with a quick bite and I have zero issue with them.

Interiorwise/exterior, I do think the Shelby badging is obviously cooler. Most everyone knows a Shelby is special, while I think most of the public will be scratching their heads and asking, "what is a Mach?". Also the GT350 has that nice race wheel. The Mach doesn't have alcantara, but to me, that's a plus as I hate alcantara, so to each their own.

Anyway like I've said before, if car prices hadn't gone bonkers in late '20/21 I would have bought a GT350, but with things being the way they are, for a daily driver that actually sees miles I think the Mach is the better bet.
I agree the Mustang Coyote might be possible to find used. Not around here very easily and they will want a premium for one around here. But the Voodoo will not be jy findable at all or you'll be paying way too much. I would probably buy an Aluminator XS instead just due to how pricy the Voodoo is. But I also agree most would be fixing a few things, not starting from scratch. And you're unlikely to need to do anything with a Coyote.

Just FYI you don't have to be on track to notice a difference in the brakes. You know how low performance brakes are mushy and there's a lot of pedal travel before something happens? That's what GT brakes feel like compared to GT350. The GT350 brakes are significantly better from a feel standpoint. The one annoying thing about GT350 brakes are if you only street drive for a while they will squeak until you use them hard a couple times.

Its always a game of how much streetability do you want to give up to brag about how fast your car is on the ā€˜ring. I figure the people who are good enough to need the difference already know the answer.
IMO the regular GT350 doesn't give up any streetability. The disadvantages are that maintenance is more expensive and that the Voodoo is less reliable. My Fiesta ST is less streetable than a GT350. The suspension on the ST is stiffer than I prefer.

IMO the regular GT350 earlier version is arguably more streetable than the Mach 1 (HP version) because it doesn't come with Cup 2 tires.

Now the GT350R does give up a little streetability. However, it still rides nicer than the ST.

Nothing magical about the GT350. It's just enough better than a GT that even 2+ years later I still miss mine and am annoyed that my GT isn't as fun. And you are right the two cars are close. I remember on track with the GT350 I would pass regular GTs, but I wouldn't whip by them like they were standing still. It would be a gradual pass.

My 2017 PP1 is arguably a little more fun to launch on the street than the GT350 was due to having better transmission gearing. But the 2018+ GTs have similar too tall gears to the GT350. They are more geared for the track than the street, which sucks for an everyday car IMO. And even though my car feels strong in 1st and part of 2nd - as I continue to accelerate I miss the Voodoo.

One thing about the Mach 1 - I think the HP wheels are awesome. Way better than the bland, boring GT350 wheels. I really wish they would have been setup to fit over the GT350 brakes.

ecoboost321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R ; 2018 Tesla Model 3
I have owned a GT350R for past few years. Never owned a modern day Mustang GT (my previous Mustang was a 1967 GT390 fastback). I have been very happy with my GT350R, but I see the value in the new Mach 1. Iā€™m sure better street car in regards to low end torque of the Coyote motor, and you can decide on a 10 speed automatic, or a rev-matching Tremec 3160 that I wish my car had for track use.

But the deciding factor for me comes down to that last few thousand revs of the Voodoo motor. Itā€™s really special, and likely never to be replicated by Ford or any other manufacturer ever. I had my car at Sebring raceway yesterday, first time in about a year, and pushing the car to redline lap after lap makes me appreciate it in a way I canā€™t in street driving.

This video from an owner pushing it at the Nurburgring is a great example in my opinion.

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
The revs man and the sound, but after 5k RPMā€¦ I had a 2017 and here I am again. A Mach 1 HP is allegedly the best Coyote Stang to date. So get one new or jump back into a 2019 350 for a tad more. Just a tad I say! What to do.

UpACurb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 20 Explorer
The revs man and the sound, but after 5k RPMā€¦ I had a 2017 and here I am again. A Mach 1 HP is allegedly the best Coyote Stang to date. So get one new or jump back into a 2019 350 for a tad more. Just a tad I say! What to do.

Gt350 you know you want to : )

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
No Mach 1 for me.
Sponsored