Sponsored

GT350 On The Brain

GrabberBootyBlue88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
My bad on the bouncy comment. I meant to say firm compare to the CSi. I think my GT350 is firm and you can feel every imperfection on the road and the tramlining is obvious. But I guess I’m getting used to it since I’m driving mostly on Track Mode just to go to work and run errands. Normal with Comfort Steering with the wife and/or kids.
Sponsored

smsgt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350 magnetic/black tech
I would not recommend the gt350 as a daily driver. I thought I could daily mine however after 2 years, 3 sets of tires and a small fortune in gasoline I realise it was not a good plan and like someone mentioned on here loses its charm after the same daily commute to work. I'm 53 with a paid off house and 3 kids I put through university as I do have a six figure income so I have now bought a couple of other vehicles since then for winter and summer non gt350 driving days. I love driving the gt350 and now look forward to my drives in it which are done on curvy challenging roads where it belongs. Just bought my oldest son a VW golf type r and my now younger son wants the CTR ( got him as civic si as he is 21 and not experienced enough for the CTR yet) . They are both a blast to drive and very nauseating for me to ride in lol.

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I would not recommend the gt350 as a daily driver. I thought I could daily mine however after 2 years, 3 sets of tires and a small fortune in gasoline I realise it was not a good plan and like someone mentioned on here loses its charm after the same daily commute to work. I'm 53 with a paid off house and 3 kids I put through university as I do have a six figure income so I have now bought a couple of other vehicles since then for winter and summer non gt350 driving days. I love driving the gt350 and now look forward to my drives in it which are done on curvy challenging roads where it belongs. Just bought my oldest son a VW golf type r and my now younger son wants the CTR ( got him as civic si as he is 21 and not experienced enough for the CTR yet) . They are both a blast to drive and very nauseating for me to ride in lol.
A small fortune in gasoline? How much do you drive the car?

Let's say you drove 10,000 miles. If you got 10 mpg you would have spent $3,000, assuming $3 per gallon. 20 mpg $1,500, 30 mpg $1,000.

I am averaging lifetime in mixed driving 17 mpg in my GT350. That includes a couple track days. If you drove all city you would get worse, but it will be tougher to get a lot of miles on the car if all of them are in the city.

So is your small fortune a couple grand, or did you drive 50,000 miles in one year?

Seems like an inaccurate and unfair criticism to me. I guess if you are driving on the street like many people drive on the track you could burn a lot more fuel, but IMO that's not a "daily driving" expense, but more of a track driving expense.

You are buying new cars for your grown kids, but fuel is the expense that will make you sell the GT350? I would be very surprised if the depreciation of the car doesn't by far exceed the "small fortune" you spent on gasoline.

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153

Let's say you drove 10,000 miles. If you got 10 mpg you would have spent $3,000, assuming $3 per gallon. 20 mpg $1,500, 30 mpg $1,000.

I am averaging lifetime in mixed driving 17 mpg in my GT350. That includes a couple track days. If you drove all city you would get worse, but it will be tougher to get a lot of miles on the car if all of them are in the city.

So is your small fortune a couple grand, or did you drive 50,000 miles in one year?

Seems like an inaccurate and unfair criticism to me. I guess if you are driving on the street like many people drive on the track you could burn a lot more fuel, but IMO that's not a "daily driving" expense, but more of a track driving expense.

You are buying new cars for your grown kids, but fuel is the expense that will make you sell the GT350? I would be very surprised if the depreciation of the car doesn't by far exceed the "small fortune" you spent on gasoline.
I basically get the same mpg out of the GT350 that I get out of the hemi Durango I've been daily driving for 6 years.

smsgt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350 magnetic/black tech

Did I mention I live in British Columbia where we are taxed to death? A single tank of premium here is $80. A set of MPSS tires is $3000 installed.My kids are doing medical degrees and I want them to succeed in university studies rather than worry about finances ( perhaps they will feed me top shelf cat food when I am old and senile?). As far as selling my car I would never even consider it !!! I just thought the OP sounded like a young guy trying to make a rational decision and thought I could give some helpful advice. In hindsight I suppose the GT350 is a more affordable daily driver south of our border. I still shudder when I see what you guys in the states can buy a GT350 for. I paid $86400 for my tech pack (including 15% tax) which was just below retail here in 2016.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

WarrENDeatH

The Batman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R 'Hellbat'
My bad on the bouncy comment. I meant to say firm compare to the CSi. I think my GT350 is firm and you can feel every imperfection on the road and the tramlining is obvious. But I guess I’m getting used to it since I’m driving mostly on Track Mode just to go to work and run errands. Normal with Comfort Steering with the wife and/or kids.

I think my A/S make it a big boaty. It's definitely far more firm than the Si, even with my A/S on. My parents have the Sport Touring and it's so pleasant. When I have my 20s on, with the super sport, it's completely different. It's not unpleasant but it's definitely far more track oriented.

I go back and forth on it. I wish I lived in a place where there was one, maybe two seasons. Ohio's quick shift in seasons makes sports car driving a bit of a bitch. Thankfully, the Type R can be perfectly mundane when it wants to be.

I think the Si is the PERFECT kid car, honestly. Bang for your buck. MPG. Insurance. Etc. That would be my go to choice. The Type R isn't kill yourself dangerous or anything like that, but a combination of factors would make the Si far better of a choice.

Also, saw a GT350R and he waved at me. I waved back. Respect.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Did I mention I live in British Columbia where we are taxed to death? A single tank of premium here is $80. A set of MPSS tires is $3000 installed.My kids are doing medical degrees and I want them to succeed in university studies rather than worry about finances ( perhaps they will feed me top shelf cat food when I am old and senile?). As far as selling my car I would never even consider it !!! I just thought the OP sounded like a young guy trying to make a rational decision and thought I could give some helpful advice. In hindsight I suppose the GT350 is a more affordable daily driver south of our border. I still shudder when I see what you guys in the states can buy a GT350 for. I paid $86400 for my tech pack (including 15% tax) which was just below retail here in 2016.
Very good points. I guess I would be irritated if I were paying $6 a gallon for gas. Especially if most of it is taxes.

I do agree it's not the most affordable, but IMO if you drive the GT350 like daily transportation on the roads with other cars, you get fairly decent fuel economy. My 2003 Ford Explorer beater gets way worse gas mileage. Definitely if you spend a lot of time on the track it will eat consumables at a much faster rate.

extrachrispy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Ruby Red w/black OTT, conv. pkg.
I drove the standard GT and the GT PP. The GT felt like a whale. The GT PP was way more tied down but is NOTHING compared to the CTR. I take turns 25+ MPH faster than my I could. The only problem with my GT PP was the raw experience. I went from complete luxury (BMW) to complete raw. Wanted something in between. Sorta got that with the CTR.
I also had a 2017 GT PP, Lightning Blue Metallic, with the Premium interior package. It was the nicest car I'd ever had to that point, and the power and handling put the WRX I came from to shame.

I traded that in on my 2018 Ruby Red w/black stripe GT350 w/convenience package. The GT350 makes the GT PP feel like a comfy cruiser couch by comparison. I have to keep reminding myself "Don't overdrive your sightlines." I've come nowhere near the mechanical grip limits on the street--I'll have to take the car to the track to truly appreciate it (waiting for my Owner's Supplement Kit--I want to do the Track Attack with Ford's cars first!).

The GT350 convenience package (pretty rare compared to standard) gets you the leather heated/cooled seats, the 9" touchscreen w/Sync 3, and the upgraded speakers. It's missing a few things the GT PP Premium had (such as the nifty Mustang puddle lights, and I haven't figured out how to get the backup alarm tone to work), and it buzzes a bit, but it's still a damned nice car.

GrabberBootyBlue88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Nice! Of the 3 limited colors for 2017, Ruby Red is the only one missing from our Shelby group. Glad they didnt make anymore Grabber Blues.
Sponsored