OP

kyle7000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KYLE
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2016 Hellcat Charger, 2020 mustang GT
Ford wants these motors whole, and sent back to them. They won't let dealerships do anything on these motors but drop the oil pan. That's why I was confused when he said short block. I think the dealership is misinformed.
Yeah they seem misinformed on the whole process, they have only worked on a few. I’m pretty sure it has to be a new engine
Sponsored

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
Yeah they seem misinformed on the whole process, they have only worked on a few. I’m pretty sure it has to be a new engine
I would get a straight answer from the dealership before this process gets much further. You don’t want to find out they are only replacing the bottom end when they hand you back the keys.

I would be sitting down in the service manager’s office asking for a confirmation that it is indeed the long block.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Ford wants these motors whole, and sent back to them. They won't let dealerships do anything on these motors but drop the oil pan. That's why I was confused when he said short block. I think the dealership is misinformed.
Again, drawing from my experience in GM Powertrain Service.... For the first year of a new product OR in dealing with a problem that hasn’t been seen before or has yet to be solved, we would send a full engine from engine plant (so it would not include any dress components added at the vehicle assembly plant) and we would require the removed engine back for root cause analysis. For products that were beyond first year of production and/or dealing with diagnosable problems, the warranty fix was a short block or long block, depending on how the product was set up for service parts.

For ZR1, there was a set number of parts that could be replaced. We also wrote the powertrain section of the service manuals and developed / designed special tools for the operations dealers were allowed to perform. ZR1 selling dealers had to purchase a complete tool set. It was optional for other dealers. Any full engine replacement had to be verified with VIN and the replaced engine returned or else the dealer would get hit with an ungodly core charge that they would no doubt pass on to the customer. I would not be surprised if GT350 / GT500 are set up the same way.

Last edited:

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
I would not trust a dealership to do a short block. That’s so much more involved than a long block. As others said, ask to see the actual response back from Ford corporate and what was authorized. There should be an actual paper trail for all of it.

OP
OP

kyle7000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KYLE
Vehicle(s)
I would not trust a dealership to do a short block. That’s so much more involved than a long block. As others said, ask to see the actual response back from Ford corporate and what was authorized. There should be an actual paper trail for all of it.
For sure I will do that, when they follow up with me I’ll ask

Sponsored

OP
OP

kyle7000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KYLE
Vehicle(s)
Update! Ford customer service called me and told me the case is closed. Dealership told me they have an updated case number but can’t provide it. Customer service rep says that’s kinda weird and is getting me in touch with the regional manager.

Edit: dealership also will not tell me what parts they have to order or how long it’ll take to get my issues resolved. They have told me they are trying to get in touch with ford engineers. It’s been 4 days since they contacted them.

Last edited:

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
If it’s a long block they need intake manifold gaskets and exhaust gaskets plus some nuts and bolts and other bits. I’d be sure to ask for the updated cylinder block plate too. If you are getting a short block then it’s also head gaskets and other hardware.

OP
OP

kyle7000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KYLE
Vehicle(s)
If it’s a long block they need intake manifold gaskets and exhaust gaskets plus some nuts and bolts and other bits. I’d be sure to ask for the updated cylinder block plate too. If you are getting a short block then it’s also head gaskets and other hardware.
What do you think about ford customer service not knowing anything the dealership is doing as far as communicating with the ford engineers?

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
Can’t help you on that. I worked with my dealer and never spoke to ford customers service

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
What do you think about ford customer service not knowing anything the dealership is doing as far as communicating with the ford engineers?
That sounds ridiculous to me.

The ford rep is telling ou the case is closed and the dealership won’t give you any info?

One of them is bullshitting you and I think it’s the dealership.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they are just stringing you along with no intent on doing anything else.

At least a regional manager is getting involved. That’s good news for you I would think.

Sponsored
OP
OP

kyle7000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KYLE
Vehicle(s)
That sounds ridiculous to me.

The ford rep is telling ou the case is closed and the dealership won’t give you any info?

One of them is bullshitting you and I think it’s the dealership.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they are just stringing you along with no intent on doing anything else.

At least a regional manager is getting involved. That’s good news for you I would think.
Hope so maybe they are actually doing something. I just don’t know, they say they are but not sure.

OP
OP

kyle7000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KYLE
Vehicle(s)
Update: Ford regional rep called and told me the dealership is working with them to get me taken care of, shouldn't be much longer and I'll have that new engine!

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
A complete replacement? If so, that is great news !!! Congratulations dude !!

OP
OP

kyle7000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KYLE
Vehicle(s)
A complete replacement? If so, that is great news !!! Congratulations dude !!
That's what the regional rep said! Let's hope it stays true.

OP
OP

kyle7000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KYLE
Vehicle(s)
Yep engine replacement confirmed. Engine will be at dealership in 3 days
Sponsored