Sponsored

GT350 half shafts and launching

DAVECS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP GT Grabber Blue
I think it is money well spent I have 2 summers of shenanigans on mine. At 300 dollars, i could buy 4 pair and get quite a bit of life out of them, compared to one set of the aftermarket half shafts. They take up less space and are well machined and hardened. Take about 20 minutes to swap if you dont struggle popping the snap ring from the diff. Good pry bar and some rotating and jiggling makes all the difference.
Sponsored

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
Screenshot_2019-01-31-17-50-38~2.png
I was at my dealer today to look at a new Ranger. Out of curiosity, I asked a service writer who I know well what the labor charge is to replace both axle shafts. I was surprised when he told me 5.5 hours or around $750.

I also learned that on 2018s, shafts for a manual have a different part number and are more expensive than the ones used in automatics. In fact, while different part numbers, the left side GT350 is the same price as the left side regular GT.

I wonder if this tool would be useful in prying the axles out of the diff.

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Dealers are nuts! I was quoted 10 hours labour for a rear end gear change from 1 dealer.

Shop around and find a dealer who has installed them before, they should quote more reasonable.

Personally since I don’t feel like doing them myself I found a decent performance garage that quoted 1 hour per side.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
I find it interesting that 2018s with a manual use a different and more expensive left side axle than those with the automatic. That was not the case for previous years. Makes me think Ford must have beefed up the driver's side axle for cars with the manual in 2018.

Just to check my dealer pricing, I called a couple of independent shops who specialize in halfshaft and driveline repairs. They also said 5-6 hours. I am going to do it myself but It seems everyone in my area use the same flat rate manual. I have other cars so if it takes me 2 days, it will not matter.

DAVECS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP GT Grabber Blue
Shoot, I would do it for half that price and have it done in an hour if I am getting after it.

Sponsored

Magony15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GTPP Base/Prem, 2009 Ram 1500
If you run into a stubborn retainer clip don’t keep prying. My passenger side wouldn’t release and I was worried I would damage the axle seal. I was ready to give up when I moved the halfshaft back and forth a couple of times like a slide hammer and it popped out easily. Also, it’s tough to maneuver the pry bar unless the car is on a lift.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
If you run into a stubborn retainer clip don’t keep prying. My passenger side wouldn’t release and I was worried I would damage the axle seal. I was ready to give up when I moved the halfshaft back and forth a couple of times like a slide hammer and it popped out easily. Also, it’s tough to maneuver the pry bar unless the car is on a lift.
I wonder of using a pry bar might sort of put the axle in a slight bind. Seems like a crow foot tool that pushes on 2 sides of the axle might bring it out straighter and work better.

I will be using jack stands instead of a lift but I will get it done one way or another.

Last edited:

DAVECS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP GT Grabber Blue
I did mine on jackstands. If it does not come out don't brute force it or keep going at the same spot. It just needs a slight motivation if the halfshaft is in the right spot. Being able to move the halfshaft around while applying pressure is key. Once it moves laterally it will stick a bit and then you can yank on the end a couple times and the snap ring will work it's way through the splines.

Crimson5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
P
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt a10
Running gt350 halfshats with transbrake so far holding 2900 rpms launch
Are they still holding up with the trans brake?
Been wondering about them as well. Don't see a point in 800hp axles in an na car if I can spend half that and be fine.
Sponsored