GT350 Engine Info - See Inside

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Again, the probability to get a faulty engine increases if you get a 2017 or above.. 2016 was the best year. yay.

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
Ya get a 16 because I can feel my 18 will detonate any moment... There were a whole 9 more failures than the 16's so that means it's just a matter of time before I'm F'd. Oh well I better start looking for a low mileage 16R now...

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Ya get a 16 because I can feel my 18 will detonate any moment... There were a whole 9 more failures than the 16's so that means it's just a matter of time before I'm F'd. Oh well I better start looking for a low mileage 16R now...
Nah, I was just kidding. I would be actually more comfortable with an 18 to be honest, considering it would have powertrain warranty to 2023. Mine is gone next year, and it seems that you cannot just get that if you did not get bumper to bumper when warranty expired.
But truth be told, my previous track pack was 2016 , and I had no problems with it . No oil consumption, no issues, just perfect. Did the bumper sagging and oil cooler at the dealer, and that was the only time I took it anywhere (well, I also did a wheel alignment after installing camber bolts). Changed the oil every 3000-4000 miles...

I did track the track pack, and I never even opened the spare oil quart I took with me to the track. I still have it.

My R is 2016 again, just because when I got it last year they were in my price range (under 60k) and it was a rare color (12 made in 2016) and it had under 2k miles... Not because I wanted an 2016. If I could have had a 2018 for the money, I would have bought one.
But this one sounds and behaves just like the track pack. I did one track day where the rpm's never dropped under 4000 on the track, and it needed no top up.... Fingers crossed :)

Sponsored

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
Seems like it getting replaced for any reason would be a concern, but I guess some people are fine with the guys that can't bolt on a splitter...replacing their voodoo. It's not catastrophic, I get it, but it's also not a fun process. Even the author of that article was on his 3rd voodoo and is lemoning his car.

I do applaud @GrabberBlue for going after another 350 after all he's been through. The car is polarizing I'll give it that!

rspec99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 (sold)
Perhaps just conspiracy theory, I wonder if the change from the canister to cartridge oil filter from 2016 to 2017 may contribute to some of the engine failures. The original canister FL2069ST filter in 2016, was specific to the GT350. When they switched to FL2062 cartridge style which is a more "universal" filter among a variety of other more pedestrian Ford cars/trucks. Most other Ford vehicles use low viscosity 5w-20 oil, while the spec oil for the GT350 is 5w-50. What effect does the filter media and design have on this filter? Consequently, Ford has since released a new GT350 specific FL2087 filter (which is nearly 4x more expensive). Observations are that the filter is significantly different in materials and construction. Mainly, the newer filter uses different filter media and the core structure is metal rather than the floating plastic centre.

I have seen numerous used oil analysis of the GT350 that seem to suggest the Voodoo ends to shed a lot of metal into the oil during it's early life. If the filter is substandard in application for the GT350, it could explain some failures especially for an engine that spins to such high rpms.

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Perhaps just conspiracy theory, I wonder if the change from the canister to cartridge oil filter from 2016 to 2017 may contribute to some of the engine failures. The original canister FL2069ST filter in 2016, was specific to the GT350. When they switched to FL2062 cartridge style which is a more "universal" filter among a variety of other more pedestrian Ford cars/trucks. Most other Ford vehicles use low viscosity 5w-20 oil, while the spec oil for the GT350 is 5w-50. What effect does the filter media and design have on this filter? Consequently, Ford has since released a new GT350 specific FL2087 filter (which is nearly 4x more expensive). Observations are that the filter is significantly different in materials and construction. Mainly, the newer filter uses different filter media and the core structure is metal rather than the floating plastic centre.

I have seen numerous used oil analysis of the GT350 that seem to suggest the Voodoo ends to shed a lot of metal into the oil during it's early life. If the filter is substandard in application for the GT350, it could explain some failures especially for an engine that spins to such high rpms.
One thing I was wondering about in a previous thread is the oil pressure differences between the oil filters. Folks have posted that after switching to the 2087 from the 2062 their oil pressures went up across the board (idle, full throttle, etc.). Is the oil pressure in cars with the canister filter also higher than in cars with the 2062?

BeastAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Well, reading that helped a little.

So as of Oct 19, only .6% of total Shelby's have been affected by engine failure. I would tend to agree allowing to let the engine warm up to normal operating temperature and watching oil looking for excessive metal would help identify and hopefully get early warning signs to the dealer before engine failure happens.

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
Although my 17 canister filter engine is sound and uses no oil at 10,000 miles I have only 18 months powertrain coverage left and may decide to dump it as plays out. I don't what to be over-reactive but the chances on an expensive AC repair is enough risk without compounding with the risk of an expensive engine failure or excessive oil-burner in a largely depreciated value car.

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
Although my 17 canister filter engine is sound and uses no oil at 10,000 miles I have only 18 months powertrain coverage left and may decide to dump it as plays out. I don't what to be over-reactive but the chances on an expensive AC repair is enough risk without compounding with the risk of an expensive engine failure or excessive oil-burner in a largely depreciated value car.
Go to Flood Ford’s website and look up the extended warranty for your car. I bought a seven-year 48,000 mile Extra Care plan. Covers the powertrain, suspension and very importantly the air-conditioning plus a bunch of other things.
I purchased mine right before my factory 3/36 ran out and had 10,000 miles on it.
Sponsored