Really want to see how this works out

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Now that you are posting pics - how about pics of installed forgelines?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It was posted yesterday per Ford Performance the 4.09 gear will not be offered.

"Ford Performance has verified the 4.09 gears have been axed. They would fit, but problems with several calibrations that would be needed (not speedo)"
Somewhat makes sense to me. The 4.09 just isn't a big enough change to be worth it, I don't think.

I've always heard that manufactures use different diameter half shafts to prevent wheel hop. I don't remember the exact theory behind it but perhaps someone else will chime in.
Wheel hop is associated with the "springiness" in the system. If you have different stiffness components on each side the wheels won't hop together. I'm not sure whether the design would really eliminate wheel hop completely. I think it would merely reduce the damaging effects on the drivetrain by preventing both wheels from hopping together.

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
Now that you are posting pics - how about pics of installed forgelines?
Lol. You'll have to wait now. They are all off the car as is the suspension.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
I've always heard that manufactures use different diameter half shafts to prevent wheel hop. I don't remember the exact theory behind it but perhaps someone else will chime in.
I never heard of such a thing. If this is what they said they are wrong because I had wheel hop. Not only from a launch but also from power shifting. The control arms and cradle have to much movement from the rubber bushings.

I know I seen the ford performance GT350 specific axles somewhere, but now I can't find the damn part numbers. I remember them costing list around $1700 for the pair. All I can find are GT350 axles to be used in the GT's. In the ford performance catalog they said you couldn't use the G-Froce (ford performance) axles in the gt350. Why not? The splines are the same. Why is it ok to use stock gt350 axles in the GT but not aftermarket GT axles in the gt350? Makes no sense.

partyelmarty

What's it trap?
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Magnetic Metallic
That's a great looking jig/stand! I'll definitely be making one when I'm back in the states, and will probably use the same mounting points as you did. Thanks for taking the pictures.

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
I never heard of such a thing. If this is what they said they are wrong because I had wheel hop. Not only from a launch but also from power shifting. The control arms and cradle have to much movement from the rubber bushings.

I know I seen the ford performance GT350 specific axles somewhere, but now I can't find the damn part numbers. I remember them costing list around $1700 for the pair. All I can find are GT350 axles to be used in the GT's. In the ford performance catalog they said you couldn't use the G-Froce (ford performance) axles in the gt350. Why not? The splines are the same. Why is it ok to use stock gt350 axles in the GT but not aftermarket GT axles in the gt350? Makes no sense.
It's true, the difference in sizes creates a difference in torsional rigidity between the two sides, this differential is intended to reduce wheel hop. Key word is reduce, it's possible to still have wheel hop caused by exactly the things you are replacing, the point would be that it would have been even worse before. The part that surprises me is that each side had a different splined diameter. Usually they keep that constant.

Good luck with the install. Looks great.

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
It's true, the difference in sizes creates a difference in torsional rigidity between the two sides, this differential is intended to reduce wheel hop. Key word is reduce, it's possible to still have wheel hop caused by exactly the things you are replacing, the point would be that it would have been even worse before. The part that surprises me is that each side had a different splined diameter. Usually they keep that constant.

Good luck with the install. Looks great.
The spline diameters are the same on both ends.

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The spline diameters are the same on both ends.
Ah ok. This is not uncommon, often though it's seen on aftermarket upgrades. Ours our factory which is cool. The way you can think about the wheel hop is if the axels get loaded up like torsional springs when you release the power (or spring) they will both jump off the ground at the same rate causing both wheels to leave the ground at the same time, if you have different spring rates (or rigidities) on each side the wheels will leave the ground at different rates thus increasing probability of having wheel contact at a given time

Sponsored
OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Ah ok. This is not uncommon, often though it's seen on aftermarket upgrades. Ours our factory which is cool. The way you can think about the wheel hop is if the axels get loaded up like torsional springs when you release the power (or spring) they will both jump off the ground at the same rate causing both wheels to leave the ground at the same time, if you have different spring rates (or rigidities) on each side the wheels will leave the ground at different rates thus increasing probability of having wheel contact at a given time
I understand how wheel hop works lol. I've drag raced for 25 years. Just never seen two different diameter axles used together. But I see your point. It's like a torque stick. (spring steel)

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I understand how wheel hop works lol. I've drag raced for 25 years. Just never seen two different diameter axles used together. But I see your point. It's like a torque stick. (spring steel)
Wasn't meant to be patronizing, probably others reading this thread that aren't as familiar so hopefully was helpful for them.

Good luck with the rest of the install. Will be interested to hear feedback after its completed. While I'm sure the wheel hop will dramatically improved I'm curious how the car will be in a daily driving situation, if it will still be comfortable or if it will be a lot more bone jarring.

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Wasn't meant to be patronizing, probably others reading this thread that aren't as familiar so hopefully was helpful for them.

Good luck with the rest of the install. Will be interested to hear feedback after its completed. While I'm sure the wheel hop will dramatically improved I'm curious how the car will be in a daily driving situation, if it will still be comfortable or if it will be a lot more bone jarring.
I didn't take what you said as patronizing :cheers: I know what you were explaining and agree with you.

I'll keep this thread going as I progress.

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
Hey [MENTION=19530]Voodooo[/MENTION] So are you really Richard Dean Anderson.... aka the ingenious MacGyver in disguise? :D

Nice work/tinkering & mods btw.... :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Hey [MENTION=19530]Voodooo[/MENTION] So are you really Richard Dean Anderson.... aka the ingenious MacGyver in disguise? :D

Nice work/tinkering & mods btw.... :thumbsup:
Lol. Yep and I made it with my pocket knife and a gum wrapper.
Sponsored