GT High Beams

Wvmike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP
So how bright are your GT's high beams. I think there my be something wrong with mine. The high beams on my Prius are twice as bright. I can barely tell the difference between low and high on the GT.
Sponsored

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
So how bright are your GT's high beams. I think there my be something wrong with mine. The high beams on my Prius are twice as bright. I can barely tell the difference between low and high on the GT.

Are you gonna tell your Prius buddies you bought a gas guzzling Mustang? ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP

Wvmike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP
Prius is my company car. Not my choice, but really economical.

dwaleke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
They are the same brightness as the low beams. When you turn them on all you see is light higher up. Same brightness.

OP
OP

Wvmike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP
They are the same brightness as the low beams. When you turn them on all you see is light higher up. Same brightness.
That really sucks for a high performance car. Hopefully the after market will come to the rescue.

Sponsored

Paulie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I'm disappointed with the high and low beam lights.Dim. I'm comparing them to a 2014 Mazda 3.
I adjusted them but there no where near as bright.

jimijammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT base
Now I'm confused, someone said in another thread that the HID's was really bright, so much so that people were flashing their hi beams at them and I'm getting concerned. The HID's in our new GMC Sierra are dim as well to me, I'm not impressed with this new tech.

fionic

spaghettios and cheerios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
prius lights are TOO bright. they destroy my eyes.

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
Low beams illuminate down the road as far as the high beams on my previous car. High beams don'g add a lot of distance, but light the trees on both sides of the road. I think they work just fine. Really good color definition, too.

dwaleke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I think the lights are great. Exactly what you want out of HIDs. Same as my Audi S4. The headlights in my Ram are dim and yellow (old tech) in comparison. I hate them.

Sponsored

289isfine

289isfine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R1200R
My 2005 package 6 Prius came with self-leveling Xenon headlights.

They are the VERY BEST headlights I have ever seen on an ANY automobile.

The pattern, projection, light output and color temperature on both high and
low beams are all superb.

Of course, the rest of the car is pretty humbling.

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
They are using the Osram cbi bulbs, you really can't get much better. They could certainly use a clear lens upgrade though and that's something I will be looking to do in the near future...

OP
OP

Wvmike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP
OK, so according to my research, it says all 2015s don't have HID like the 2014s did. Must only be HID on the premium. That could explain it.

jimijammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT base
OK, so according to my research, it says all 2015s don't have HID like the 2014s did. Must only be HID on the premium. That could explain it.
They all have them.

Diode Dynamics

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost
All models have HID. It is one projector that simply lifts a flap to project the light higher when you hit the high beams.

Most vehicles do this now, and those that don't usually shut off low beams when high beams are turned on. If you're driving a vehicle where the low beams stay on with the high beams, it will indeed seem that the high beams aren't bright. You're used to seeing an additional amount of light, instead of simply redirecting the light.

Honestly, this is a very good setup. You really don't need more light- you will start washing out the road and you won't have any peripheral vision. The only route to take if you really want more light would be adding driving (off-road) lights somewhere, or building a new set of headlights by retrofitting.

Given that all models are HID headlights with the nice DRLs, you're probably not going to see many aftermarket replacement housings. I'm sure there will be sellers advertising replacement HID bulbs for "better performance" but don't buy it- you're not going to get any better performance than what you have from the stock bulbs- only a difference in color.

I would expect full LED headlamps to be available with 17 or 18 models, which you'll probably be able to swap if they keep the body style the same.
Sponsored