Sponsored

Griot's CORDLESS FOAMER & SPRAYER

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Anyone have experience with this? Thinking of using it with griot's foaming surface wash before my rinseless washes to make them easier. Currently I just use p&s absolute as a presoak.

I do maintenance washes weekly so looking for an automatic no pump sprayer if anyone else has any recs
Sponsored

Last edited:

MACHtobers Very Own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang MACH 1
There's this.
https://theragcompany.com/products/ik-e-foam-pro-12-sprayer

I have zero experience with both but am also curious as maybe it's faster than a pressure washer? Been tempted to use it for wheel/tire cleaner but since that's so little a pump action one may just as easy. Not really sure.

OP
OP
stannypack

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Many like this foam cannon routine. Curious about the results, and recently discovered the following.
I assumed, seeing shots of Mustangs dripping with foam. This was a foam on, foam off rinse & dry..

Seems, there is a pretty good chance the old bucket and sponge is required to finish the job.

Just saying, not surprised that it's true, hype strikes again.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Foam cannons are for show/garage queens. Any sort of real use and driving involves bugs, road grime, brake dust etc and that means mechanical action of hand washing so the two bucket method. If the car is clean enough to simply foam and rinse then they make spray detailers to freshen it up.

Sponsored

OP
OP
stannypack

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Foam cannons are for show/garage queens. Any sort of real use and driving involves bugs, road grime, brake dust etc and that means mechanical action of hand washing so the two bucket method. If the car is clean enough to simply foam and rinse then they make spray detailers to freshen it up.
it's for presoak with foam instead of just ps absolute. I'm still doing the normal rinseless wash with towels

cocopanda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2019 Premium GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Let me save you some money. Or not.

Go get the bottom tier water pressure washer from Home Depot. Get quick release ends for all of your cables and buy a true foamer.

I started out with the Grio and I hated it. I went professional with my set up.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Many like this foam cannon routine. Curious about the results, and recently discovered the following.
I assumed, seeing shots of Mustangs dripping with foam. This was a foam on, foam off rinse & dry..

Seems, there is a pretty good chance the old bucket and sponge is required to finish the job.

Just saying, not surprised that it's true, hype strikes again.
Absolutely!

There is no such thing as a touchless wash. None!

So when I see or hear people saying that they simply apply foam, rinse and dry, I wince at that.

I'm going to counter this with a different way of thinking about a foam cannon.

For the most part, I do not use a foam cannon for pre-soaking or touchless washing. Some soaps do in fact help loosen or break down dirt of bugs, but most pH neutral soaps don't.

However, I use my foam cannon to apply soap directly to the paint. I do this to ensure the paint is fully lubricated with soap when doing the hand wash. Doing it this way actually uses about the same amount of soap that you would end up using in your bucket. This is the process -

1/ Rinse
2/ Apply foam/soap
3/ Hand wash, using one bucket to rinse the wash mitt between panels/sections
4/ Rinse
5/ Dry

So yes, if you are foaming a pre-soak or doing it as a touchless, then there is an element of showing off with that.

But using a foam cannon for direct application of soap has some value.

Different methods of achieving the same result.....................a clean car.

Joshinator99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium, 2017 Camaro 2SS
If your car is ceramic coated, a foam/touch free wash is perfect. Cars come out clean and you don’t induce any swirl marks. Things like bug guts are simply not an issue on a ceramic coated car…that stuff comes right off easy. Air drying the car takes off 95+% of the water. Spritz with Speed Shine and dry with microfiber drying towel, done. :)

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Foam cannons are for show/garage queens. Any sort of real use and driving involves bugs, road grime, brake dust etc and that means mechanical action of hand washing so the two bucket method.
I will admit, mine IS a "garage queen" but I disagree with you @Angrey . Now, whether a pump sprayer will loosen the grime better than a pressure washer, I can't say but, it will be much faster.

I would also maintain that if you want a truly clean car, you have to agitate with a mit or similar AFTER foaming or spraying. Without doing that, the car will definitely not be clean with a foam/spray and a rinse. The foam is for extra lubrication of the paint so marring doesn't occur while hand washing.

However, I use my foam cannon to apply soap directly to the paint. I do this to ensure the paint is fully lubricated with soap when doing the hand wash.
D knows what I'm talking about. :-)

Sponsored

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
If your car is ceramic coated, a foam/touch free wash is perfect. Cars come out clean and you don’t induce any swirl marks. Things like bug guts are simply not an issue on a ceramic coated car…that stuff comes right off easy. Air drying the car takes off 95+% of the water. Spritz with Speed Shine and dry with microfiber drying towel, done. :)
Talk about a nonsense myth. Before I had full PPF, I had a full ceramic coating and I can assure you, the car isn't going to be clean unless you use a mitt or mechanical action.

Where most people live there's bugs, when it rains you get road grime all over the car (which simply won't come all the way off without help).

Ceramic definitely helps, but just like ceramic on the wheels, it reduces the brake dust that collects on it but doesn't eliminate it.

If you're trying to "lubricate" prior to sponging, my argument would be to simply integrate whatever product you choose into your bucket system.

Foam cannons are for cars that don't actually get used and OCD detailphiles who are overly worried about swirling (which is what regular maintenance is for).

In the real world, cars get dirty and grimy and need to be cleaned. Foam sprayers are largely a gimmick. If all I ever did was take my car in and out of the garage, maybe. But in the real world, a foam cannon without a sponge or mitt isn't going to do it.

The better advice is to us a multi bucket system (to reduce as much contamination as possible), clear your mitt(s) often and don't go over more than a panel or two, perform routine maintenance on your coatings and toppers and keep the car clean. Trying to short the cleaning will only serve as more of a threat to the paint/coating than actually washing it.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
If you're trying to "lubricate" prior to sponging, my argument would be to simply integrate whatever product you choose into your bucket system.

Foam cannons are for cars that don't actually get used and OCD detailphiles who are overly worried about swirling (which is what regular maintenance is for).

In the real world, cars get dirty and grimy and need to be cleaned. Foam sprayers are largely a gimmick. If all I ever did was take my car in and out of the garage, maybe. But in the real world, a foam cannon without a sponge or mitt isn't going to do it.
Funny, detailphiles sharing information in the detailing section of the forum? Sounds like you wouldn't describe yourself as a detailphile..........................one could ask what you are reading these threads for then.

The main goal of detailing is to clean your car. For some, there is also an enjoyment factor to be had from detailing. Foam cannons also serve a dual role, providing lubrication and cleaning ability.........but they are also fun to use.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Funny, detailphiles sharing information in the detailing section of the forum? Sounds like you wouldn't describe yourself as a detailphile..........................one could ask what you are reading these threads for then.

The main goal of detailing is to clean your car. For some, there is also an enjoyment factor to be had from detailing. Foam cannons also serve a dual role, providing lubrication and cleaning ability.........but they are also fun to use.
Fair enough, I'm just pointing out they're not "necessary" when cleaning your vehicle. You can apply the lubrication to the sponge/mitt.

I almost fell for it when I was researching and had a big long discussion about them and then I naturally asked, "so what's the deal, you just foam the whole car and rinse it off and that's supposed to get it clean" and the natural response was "no, you still have to use a mitt, it's just a 'pre-treatment'"

It's not going to harm the car to foam it obviously, but I don't like to let anything sit on the car for very long and so it's going to have to be rinsed before I begin washing sections of the car which takes time (even out of direct sunlight it's still a concern leaving it there till I get to it).

I wash my car. If it gets damage from that, I repair/maintain the protection accordingly. I'd rather do THAT then risk not getting contamination fully off the car. Most bug contamination and bird droppings are pH risks to the car. I'd a whole lot rather have any "swirling" associated with mechanically cleaning my car than risk leaving it on the coating for extended periods of time. If that means I have to freshen up with a maintainer or topper, so be it.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Foam sprayers are largely a gimmick.
I have to side with D on this one, Angrey. Aside from the self-time enjoyment of washing a car (of which I am a chronic patient,) foaming before hand washing is not a gimmick by any stretch of the imagination. The point is to loosen the grime (that is able to be loosened.) No, of course ALL the grime won't succumb to the action of the foam but a lot of it will.

Unlike some however, I don't hand wash at this point, I rinse off the foam and grime. IMHO, this removes an enormous amount of contamination that could easily mar the paint while using a mit BUT, would still be there in your scenario.

As D has said many times, whatever floats your bote but IMHO, there is a valid reason for using a foam cannon.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Fair enough, I'm just pointing out they're not "necessary" when cleaning your vehicle. You can apply the lubrication to the sponge/mitt.

I almost fell for it when I was researching and had a big long discussion about them and then I naturally asked, "so what's the deal, you just foam the whole car and rinse it off and that's supposed to get it clean" and the natural response was "no, you still have to use a mitt, it's just a 'pre-treatment'"

It's not going to harm the car to foam it obviously, but I don't like to let anything sit on the car for very long and so it's going to have to be rinsed before I begin washing sections of the car which takes time (even out of direct sunlight it's still a concern leaving it there till I get to it).

I wash my car. If it gets damage from that, I repair/maintain the protection accordingly. I'd rather do THAT then risk not getting contamination fully off the car. Most bug contamination and bird droppings are pH risks to the car. I'd a whole lot rather have any "swirling" associated with mechanically cleaning my car than risk leaving it on the coating for extended periods of time. If that means I have to freshen up with a maintainer or topper, so be it.
I've been washing cars for a half a century and never, repeat never put a swirl mark in the paint, enamel, lacquer and especially clear coat.

Think any swirl marking is all about the user, like the term color correction, how do they color correct a clear coat LMAO.. :thumbsup:
Sponsored