Sponsored

Grinding noise when turning in reverse

Louieg58

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt performance package black
Every time I back out of a parking space and turn the wheel, I am getting a very loud grinding noise from the front of the car. I only get the noise when turning the wheel in reverse, never going forward. I've tried tightening my lugs based on a suggestion from another post and it does not look like the wheels are rubbing on the wheel well. Suspension and wheels are all stock. It is definitely more of a grinding sound rather than a squealing/squeaking noise. Any thoughts on what it could be? I plan to take it to the dealer, but figured I would ask and try to save my self the time of having to leave the car at the dealer for a couple days.
Sponsored

thumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT PP
was there anything in the brake pads/rotors that didn't look right?

OP
OP
Louieg58

Louieg58

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing in the brakes or pads. I took it by the dealer and apparently my strut and hub are bent. Not sure how that happened considering I don't remember hitting a pot hole or anything. The problem makes sense, but I don't trust the dealer from past experiences so I am going to take to my suspension guy. Plus, they want an arm and a leg to fix it...

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
Make sure that a fender liner isn't loose, and rubbing.

OP
OP
Louieg58

Louieg58

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Finally figured out what the issue was. After taking it to two dealers and getting ran around, I was told my left strut was bent. I figured this was true considering you could see the rim grinding against the strut when the wheel turned certain ways. Rather than the dealer charging me $800 to fix it, I bought a new strut and changed my self. When I changed it, the car still made the same sound. After some looking around the car, I started to realize my shock was never bent, but the tire shop that installed my tires put the front tires on the rear rim and rear tires on my front rim!

Sponsored

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
It's the simple things. The struts have a dent in them from the factory.

thumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT PP
the tire shop that installed my tires put the front tires on the rear rim and rear tires on my front rim!
Damn. How many times have we heard this happen before... Can't trust anyone these days :tsk:

Havoc911

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ALEX
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt
Finally figured out what the issue was. After taking it to two dealers and getting ran around, I was told my left strut was bent. I figured this was true considering you could see the rim grinding against the strut when the wheel turned certain ways. Rather than the dealer charging me $800 to fix it, I bought a new strut and changed my self. When I changed it, the car still made the same sound. After some looking around the car, I started to realize my shock was never bent, but the tire shop that installed my tires put the front tires on the rear rim and rear tires on my front rim!

I'm having a similar issue. While backing up and having the steering wheel turn all the way left or right. The noise sounds like I'm running over metal. This only happens when the car is cold and only in reverse while the tires are turn left or right. I have stock tires and rims. How can I tell what rims go on the back and front? Thanks in advance!

acemastr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I get a clunk when reversing and turning. Going into dealer on tuesday

Sponsored

acemastr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang Ecoboost
Every time I back out of a parking space and turn the wheel, I am getting a very loud grinding noise from the front of the car. I only get the noise when turning the wheel in reverse, never going forward. I've tried tightening my lugs based on a suggestion from another post and it does not look like the wheels are rubbing on the wheel well. Suspension and wheels are all stock. It is definitely more of a grinding sound rather than a squealing/squeaking noise. Any thoughts on what it could be? I plan to take it to the dealer, but figured I would ask and try to save my self the time of having to leave the car at the dealer for a couple days.
Hi I have a 2017 Ecoboost and I have the same issue. Its driving me nuts cause i cant seem to find out what it is. I test drove 3 other 2015 4 and 6 cylinders and they all had the same sound in reverse. Any idea? Thanks

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
So I am having the same issue – a rubbing/grinding noise when pulling out of a parking spot or my driveway and turning the wheel. I recently hit a deer carcass on the road which was like driving over cinderblock.I checked under the car and didn’t see anything obvious. Checked the fender liners etc. Just got brand new tires as well and still the sound remains. It seems to only do it when cold. Once I’ve driven it for a few minutes it doesn’t seem to happen. Any thoughts? Car tracks straight , don’t notice any drivability issues since hitting the deer.

Last edited:
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang Ecoboost
I have the same issue. Does anyone have a solution. Thanks

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
Noticed a couple things about this - it’s not just in reverse. I’ve been backing straight out of my driveway without turning the wheel until I put it in drive, and I still get the noise while going forward turning the wheel. However, after driving for about a minute or two, if I try to replicate it I can’t. So after the car warms up for a short period it’s gone. It’s also obviously a rotational rubbing or moaning sound. If the tire is not physically rubbing against the fender liner, what else could it be? Would a wheel hub do this? I would expect a wheel hub to make noise all the time not just for a brief period in the morning when cold.
Sponsored