Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
what exhaust are you running? if you have longtubes without cats, yes your car is loud. its night and day different than a stock mustang with active exhaust. no disrespect but you must have some serious hearing issues to not be able to tell the difference.
its great that you haven't had any legal issues where you live. but your experience alone is not what OP should be basing his decisions off of. don't get me wrong, i'm in full support of doing whatever you want to your car but to pretend that its only an issue for "stupid kids racing through town" is a lie and misleading to someone like OP who is coming here for advice.
when i got pulled over for my exhaust i was doing 25 in a 25 residential zone. in fact i saw the cop before he saw me and i was in 4th gear trying to make as little noise as possible. he even wrote i was going the speed limit on the ticket! there may be no referee in your county but your county is still in a state with specific laws and i can promise you there is a referee in that state. i guess if the cops where you live dont care and you dont have any intentions of leaving the county you might be ok.
we've established that your hearing isn't so good. apparently your nose doesn't work that well either. your exhaust smells likes roses? no, it smells like exhaust that hasn't passed through a set of cats.

long tubes are not 50 hp. with a tune maybe lol.
not pass smog only if the tech cares? bullshit. the only way you're passing a smog test with longtubes is if the tech is willing to lose his job to help you out.
stop spreading misinformation about these issues because youre only doing a disservice to people like OP. again, i'm fully supportive of freedom and i think everyone should run headers as a middle finger to the man. but to pretend there is nothing to worry about is naïve at best. i was once young and in OP's shoes. listened to a few forum experts tell me that i should get some big power gains from headers and no cats. dont worry! only the ricers get hassled by the cops. the strangest thing was when i was in court for the illegally modified smog devices ticket and at the state referee, i don't remember seeing any of the people that were full of advice before, there to help pay the fines 🤔
Ok I’ll start from the top just because you have no cats and long tubes doesn’t mean that you have to have a loud car. They invented these crazy devices called mufflers and resonators.
I am very close with a cop here that is how I found out that they don’t have a referee. A referee is certified to work in that county a cop can not referee you. You have rights. He can write a ticket and then a judge can order you to the referee. I guess if you just bend over the cop can do whatever he wants.
Smog technicians pass people illegally every day I know for a 100% fact.
If you go from stock to catless long tubes you have to get a tune for it to run correctly so noone is dumb enough to see what gains they would get without the tune that I a no brainer. I’m sorry if I have to spoon feed you everything I mistakenly assumed that you had common sense.
No one said that there’s nothing to worry about with headers. I said that if someone wanted to run headers it’s not impossible.

You listened to people on forums without doing you our research? I guess I was right. You have no common sense
Sponsored

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Maybe it is me, but If I lived in that state, and a tech passed my illegal vehicle through smog, I would not be making that claim on the internet. But that is just me.
His mileage may vary.
I never said that. Go back and read again

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
To be clear ( again ) I’m not saying run out and cut the cats off your car and drive around flipping off cops and rev your engine. If you do then don’t be surprised when he is up to his elbows in you. Don’t listen to anyone without doing your own research. Then you can decide if it’s worth it. Remember if you are 18y then it doesn’t matter who said what. It’s on you

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt

Sponsored

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro
I owned Kooks headers with green cats on my 2016. Despite what people say, it can be done without a tune and does have a power gain on a Ford tune.
Were you running the Ford Performance 1, 2, or 3 with the Kooks headers? No changes to the Ford Performance tune, like using HP Tuners software or anything?

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Were you running the Ford Performance 1, 2, or 3 with the Kooks headers? No changes to the Ford Performance tune, like using HP Tuners software or anything?
Factory Ford tune with 1 7/8" Kooks and Green Cats. Not a single change, no tuners were used.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Factory Ford tune with 1 7/8" Kooks and Green Cats. Not a single change, no tuners were used.
sorry if i missed it earlier......what catback were you running? how did the catted kooks change the sound from the stock headers? i'm considering keeping my factory active exhaust and going with kooks with the green cats but its hard to find audio clips. most that i find are catless

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
sorry if i missed it earlier......what catback were you running? how did the catted kooks change the sound from the stock headers? i'm considering keeping my factory active exhaust and going with kooks with the green cats but its hard to find audio clips. most that i find are catless
I think I posted a sound clip long ago that had what I was running on the car. Forget who ran the H pipe but the resonator back was a borla touring exhaust. And I am so glad it was the touring and not atak. It got loud, like Harley Davidson loud. Someone cut you off? Someone driving too close? Forget the horn, just down shift. Anything over 5k can be heard over a radio on a drive by or behind the car. Good thing is I rarely got cutoff in slow track, folks would hear a loud growl and would hesitate. Guys at work said they knew when I was leaving.

To sum it up it is loud as heck. Not quite wake the dead loud but definitely way louder than stock. I sometimes miss it, I know my neighbors don't.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think I posted a sound clip long ago that had what I was running on the car. Forget who ran the H pipe but the resonator back was a borla touring exhaust. And I am so glad it was the touring and not atak. It got loud, like Harley Davidson loud. Someone cut you off? Someone driving too close? Forget the horn, just down shift. Anything over 5k can be heard over a radio on a drive by or behind the car. Good thing is I rarely got cutoff in slow track, folks would hear a loud growl and would hesitate. Guys at work said they knew when I was leaving.

To sum it up it is loud as heck. Not quite wake the dead loud but definitely way louder than stock. I sometimes miss it, I know my neighbors don't.
damn! usually those type of descriptions are when talking about catless setups lol. its crazy that kooks can make a cat that is good enough to keep the check engine light off but still flow well enough to be that loud.

Sponsored

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok I’ll start from the top just because you have no cats and long tubes doesn’t mean that you have to have a loud car. They invented these crazy devices called mufflers and resonators.
you're right. you could have catless long tubes and then proceed to weld a string of resonators and mufflers all the way back until it reduces the noise. but in general, catless mustangs with long tubes are LOUD. to deny this doesn't make any sense.

I am very close with a cop here that is how I found out that they don’t have a referee.
you should find a different cop to be close with because that one doesn't know very much

A referee is certified to work in that county a cop can not referee you. You have rights.
lol how is it that you know so little about the state in which you live. the emissions referee is a STATE position. no county. and yes, a citation by a cop can force you to go to the ref.

He can write a ticket and then a judge can order you to the referee. I guess if you just bend over the cop can do whatever he wants.
wrong. you are talking to someone that has been through this process. the ticket for modified emissions device required me to go to the ref BEFORE my court date.

Smog technicians pass people illegally every day I know for a 100% fact.
what kind of retard risks their job and associated penalties with violating emissions laws to help out some guy with a modified mustang? i've heard so many stories about the local smog guy that will pass you! just flip him a few bills and its good! in my experience its always bullshit. if you know someone that will pass your car then you are very lucky and you should not share his contact info with anyone.

If you go from stock to catless long tubes you have to get a tune for it to run correctly so noone is dumb enough to see what gains they would get without the tune that I a no brainer. I’m sorry if I have to spoon feed you everything I mistakenly assumed that you had common sense.
No one said that there’s nothing to worry about with headers. I said that if someone wanted to run headers it’s not impossible.
right. it certainly is possible to run headers. but it is taking on a substantial risk in the state of CA which was my entire point to the OP. i don't know OP, maybe he's new to modifying cars and i dont want him to hear crap that influences his decision like oh they only mess with hondas dont worry! smog guys will pass you don't worry! because thats not true and it fucking sucks to get busted in CA.

You listened to people on forums without doing you our research? I guess I was right. You have no common sense
my forum was my research. i was a stupid 19 year old with my first mustang and i listened to mustang experts like you that assured me it would be fine. i didn't know enough to research state laws at the time. i wish i would have though!
my only intention in posting to the OP was to potentially help someone else realize what COULD happen and take that into consideration when making a decision on headers.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
you're right. you could have catless long tubes and then proceed to weld a string of resonators and mufflers all the way back until it reduces the noise. but in general, catless mustangs with long tubes are LOUD. to deny this doesn't make any sense.

you should find a different cop to be close with because that one doesn't know very much

lol how is it that you know so little about the state in which you live. the emissions referee is a STATE position. no county. and yes, a citation by a cop can force you to go to the ref.

wrong. you are talking to someone that has been through this process. the ticket for modified emissions device required me to go to the ref BEFORE my court date.

what kind of retard risks their job and associated penalties with violating emissions laws to help out some guy with a modified mustang? i've heard so many stories about the local smog guy that will pass you! just flip him a few bills and its good! in my experience its always bullshit. if you know someone that will pass your car then you are very lucky and you should not share his contact info with anyone.

right. it certainly is possible to run headers. but it is taking on a substantial risk in the state of CA which was my entire point to the OP. i don't know OP, maybe he's new to modifying cars and i dont want him to hear crap that influences his decision like oh they only mess with hondas dont worry! smog guys will pass you don't worry! because thats not true and it fucking sucks to get busted in CA.

my forum was my research. i was a stupid 19 year old with my first mustang and i listened to mustang experts like you that assured me it would be fine. i didn't know enough to research state laws at the time. i wish i would have though!
my only intention in posting to the OP was to potentially help someone else realize what COULD happen and take that into consideration when making a decision on headers.
Listen I’m not looking to go back and forth with you but you need to consider that you don’t know as much as you think.
One resonator on each side and one good muffler is all you need even with catless long tubes.
The referee is a state license that is issued to smog shops in each county. I have never been refereed in my life and I would drive with open headers through town right by cops. If you got one that’s on you. Everyone needs to decide if it’s worth it to them.
About 50% of Smog technicians take bribes. Mostly because that is a easy license to get and a lot of smog technicians and convicted felons. Most prisons will get you your smog license before a inmate is released. Do you see how it could be easy to find the right smog technicians. You just have to know how to talk to people. I’m sorry if you just look like a snitch so noone will help you out but getting a smog tech to slide a car through is easy. You need to stop putting words in my mouth I never said it will be fine. Dam I feel like I’m talking to a child. Go back and read again.
If a forum was your research then you were exceptionally slow

TexasMetallic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 Ram 1500 4x4
I’m glad I live where nobody cares if you have cats. As long as the lights, horn and wipers work, you’re good to go.

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
damn! usually those type of descriptions are when talking about catless setups lol. its crazy that kooks can make a cat that is good enough to keep the check engine light off but still flow well enough to be that loud.
Catless is louder for sure. Catless is wake the dead loud and can be too loud

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Listen I’m not looking to go back and forth with you but you need to consider that you don’t know as much as you think.
One resonator on each side and one good muffler is all you need even with catless long tubes.
The referee is a state license that is issued to smog shops in each county. I have never been refereed in my life and I would drive with open headers through town right by cops. If you got one that’s on you. Everyone needs to decide if it’s worth it to them.
About 50% of Smog technicians take bribes. Mostly because that is a easy license to get and a lot of smog technicians and convicted felons. Most prisons will get you your smog license before a inmate is released. Do you see how it could be easy to find the right smog technicians. You just have to know how to talk to people. I’m sorry if you just look like a snitch so noone will help you out but getting a smog tech to slide a car through is easy. You need to stop putting words in my mouth I never said it will be fine. Dam I feel like I’m talking to a child. Go back and read again.
If a forum was your research then you were exceptionally slow
Being called slow by a rube that brags about knowing how to talk to felons…….I love this forum :cwl:
Sponsored