Sponsored

catless tune with cats

GrabberBlue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2011 GT
Has anyone gone catless, had it tuned, and then put cats back on without a tune update?

I currently have LT's and an offroad x-pipe and wanted to put high flow cats on for sound attenuation (car is too damn loud). I do not have the handheld tuner used on the car (long story) and I do not want to spend another $400 simply to update the tune from "catless" to "catted". Is this a bad idea? will it foul out the O2's or the cats?
Sponsored

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
I am certainly not an expert on "tuning", but I have heard of tunes being designed with cat protection... presumably adding some extra fuel in to keep them at a desired temperature. With that in mind, I can see the possibility of accelerating cat failure with an offroad tune, but... I will let someone more experienced in how tunes work on these cars to verify that. Personally, I would get an appropriate tune with the cats accounted for... they are too expensive IMO to take the risk of prematurely damaging them.

OP
OP

GrabberBlue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2011 GT
I am certainly not an expert on "tuning", but I have heard of tunes being designed with cat protection... presumably adding some extra fuel in to keep them at a desired temperature. With that in mind, I can see the possibility of accelerating cat failure with an offroad tune, but... I will let someone more experienced in how tunes work on these cars to verify that. Personally, I would get an appropriate tune with the cats accounted for... they are too expensive IMO to take the risk of prematurely damaging them.
Yea, I generally agree with you. I have not yet installed the cats, and if I have to I will update the tune. The $400 for the new tune/tuner is less than a new set of cats anyways (I think I "stole" them at $370 for the pair, normally are a minimum of $430, specifically I am referring to Stainless Works cats).

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, usually cat protection is turned off with a FFE tune. Put the stock/aftermarket back on without cat protection and your gonna have a very bad day.

OP
OP

GrabberBlue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2011 GT
According to the linked thread, Shaun @AED says there should be no need for an updated tune when putting cats back on. But I was looking for verification especially since the post was from 2012. I did not know if anything had changed since then (which I assume it has)

https://svtperformance.com/threads/catless-tune-with-cats.900097/

Sponsored

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
Has anyone gone catless, had it tuned, and then put cats back on without a tune update?

I currently have LT's and an offroad x-pipe and wanted to put high flow cats on for sound attenuation (car is too damn loud). I do not have the handheld tuner used on the car (long story) and I do not want to spend another $400 simply to update the tune from "catless" to "catted". Is this a bad idea? will it foul out the O2's or the cats?
I highly recommend tuning your car back for cats. Another options would be to weld resonators in place of the cats to tone the exhaust note down.

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vibrants calmed my car down significantly. I have heard the cj pony resonated x is even more significant in quieting down.
Sponsored