daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I was going 15-20 miles an hour on a crowded one lane city street when the Mercedes in front of me braked suddenly. My Brembos brought me to a halt real quick. However, the car behind me swerved to my driver's side to miss me because he could not brake in time but ended up hitting me. No one was hurt, but he did not "remember" who his insurance company was or anything about his policy. So, I called the local sheriffs because the accident occurred in a part of my city that is unincorporated. They said call CHP. CHP gives me different number to call. CHP says sheriffs. Picture below is the back and forth...

i0CCv9C.png

Finally get someone at CHP who sends someone out, a very nice officer. Cited the other guy and took all his information. Called my insurance, brought the car to a trusted collision shop, and picked up the rental.

The good news is no one was hurt, but of course the bad news is this guy looks to have no insurance so I will take the hit on having to do the claim through my company. Not ti mention I was going to do my first Mustang cruise this weekend with the 6G guys :doh:

crv4FyW.png

XuEaNY0.png

Oh, did I mention the Enterprise was out of cars... So... They gave me this and LITERALLY told me that I need to be prepared for all the attention I am going to get driving it...
WZ3Sa5B.png

I know it's the last gen and a V6, but the suspension is awful, the engine is horrific, and the transmission doesn't know what gear it wants and has the longest shifts.

However, I am really thankful no one was hurt and that my (pregnant) wife was not in the car AND that I have something to drive while my car is being repaired.
Sponsored

Road Dog

Really Smart Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible
Just so you you know...

Everybody on the Forum dreads experiencing what you went thru today. I'm sorry for you on the incident but I see you have a good attitude. It will come in handy if the repair guys aren't up to snuff. Good Luck

lazarus870

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
WTF, no insurance? Is that common where you live? Any way you can sue the guy civilly?
Does your insurance have uninsured motorist protection?
Glad you're OK though.

Sponsored

15GTCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT A6
Sorry to see this, and we will miss you on Sunday. From the look of the damage, there should not be too much behind the plastic other than the exhaust to fix. On a lighter note, come join us anyway on Sunday.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Im more sorry you have to drive that Uglymaro in the meantime. More like looks of what an ugly car.

Looks like a quick fix, just a bumper cover (and an excuse to get a catback now to replace the muffler)

I agree, even with no insurance you can sue in small claims for your deductible/costs you have to pay out. No insurance doesnt always mean no assets to take.

Trappen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 ecoboost premium
Glad you are ok. Sucks about the car and the drive this weekend.... Ron Swanson would NOT approve of this rental.

Bhoris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black S550 GTPP
Damn, that sucks! No insurance is especially shitty on his part. That means you have to go through your insurance which means your rates will increase and you'll have to pay your deductible. You can try to take him to small claims but just because you get a ruling, doesn't mean you'll get the money from the person unfortunately. A guy backed into me at a car wash a few weeks ago and I'm still working on getting my check from his insurance company for the damage. He backed into me going a few mph and damaged my front end and it was about $1100 in damage. Anyway, I wish you the best and hope it works out for you!

Steeeliskt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Manual
You probably have a collision deductible waiver on your policy, which waives your deductible in the event an uninsured motorist causes damage to your vehicle. If you find out you don't have this, fire your current broker because it is seriously like $5 / 6 months for that coverage and he was an ass for not telling you to get it. If they don't have insurance and you don't have rental car coverage on your policy, you will most likely have to pay the rental car bill.

Sponsored

Steeeliskt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Manual
Damn, that sucks! No insurance is especially shitty on his part. That means you have to go through your insurance which means your rates will increase and you'll have to pay your deductible. You can try to take him to small claims but just because you get a ruling, doesn't mean you'll get the money from the person unfortunately. A guy backed into me at a car wash a few weeks ago and I'm still working on getting my check from his insurance company for the damage. He backed into me going a few mph and damaged my front end and it was about $1100 in damage. Anyway, I wish you the best and hope it works out for you!
In CA accidents go against your record as either "at fault" or "not at fault". If the accident is coded as "not at fault", which it sounds like this one will be, there will be absolutely no negative impact on his insurance.

The only negative thing that can come out of being in not at fault accidents, is that some carriers will refuse to continue offering coverage for you if you have say, 3 not at fault accidents in a 4 year period. Obviously you are accident prone and they don't want to insure that. Other than that, they can't raise your rates in CA for not at fault accidents.

Another tip for everyone out there -- if you do get in an accident.. if there is $0.00 for bodily injury, and LESS than $1,000 property damage, it is still considered not at fault no matter the circumstances. The $0 bodily injury is the important part though, if there is even $1.00 paid out, it is automatically a two point accident. Car damage adds up very quickly though. This is in reference to CA insurance only. I don't know how other states work.

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
looks like the body panel is ok...so new bumper and exhaust and you should be good.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Darn man, sorry to hear. I have been involved in no insurance claims as well and they are a PITA. The guy that hit me (when I was 17) pulled out his insurance card and promptly dropped it into a puddle of water "accidentally". The police were nice then and said he was going to get a nice $700 ticket in the mail. Hope it all goes smoothly and that your car is back in short order!

As to the "attention" that you are about to get, I am sure that they meant all the people that would be watching you go by and doing this: :barf:

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
I think if you're caught driving without proof of insurance after an accident, you should be arrested, have your vehicle confiscated and sold for what it costs to partially (at least) pay for your damages. That sucks.
Sponsored