Sponsored

Going Racing. Well, kinda...

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
Okay, registered for Track Attack today, booked the hotel and bought non-refundable airline tickets (so I have to go). Mid-June.

I understand that it's a curated event and we aren't likely to be turned loose, but I expect it to be quite a bit of fun. Really looking forward to this.
Sponsored

Blackbite

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Vehicle(s)
2003 mustang cobra, 2019 GT350R
You get more freedom on the track than you would expect. You can pretty much push as hard as your skills allows. I did it last year and will be going again this year. It was a blast.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Last I heard, the TA was lead/follow. No room for pushing anything when you have an instructor setting the pace.

The old TA, they let you loose. The new TA almost makes it worth not going.

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
It’s all lead follow on the track. Tom is right, I went a few weeks ago. Though if they see you can handle more they’ll move you up groups

Mustang Ranch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RG
Vehicle(s)
2-2020 GT 500
Last I heard, the TA was lead/follow. No room for pushing anything when you have an instructor setting the pace.

I disagree..the harder you push on the “lead” car ..he will drive away from you .. never did I feel held back by the instructor..

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I disagree..the harder you push on the “lead” car ..he will drive away from you .. never did I feel held back by the instructor..
We will see. I'm going in May and I will be right on his ass. I know what the car can do and i don't believe anyone gets anywhere near that kind of performance at the TA. The lead/follow is baby sitting probably for the lawyers.

Mustang Ranch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RG
Vehicle(s)
2-2020 GT 500
We will see. I'm going in May and I will be right on his ass. I know what the car can do and i don't believe anyone gets anywhere near that kind of performance at the TA. The lead/follow is baby sitting probably for the lawyers.
I too plan on going again.. had a blast 1st time.. hope to get to use my other 2 opportunities to burn their gas ...

EBTAGMOTO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 HE R, 2022 GT500 PP HE, 2016 GT350BaseR

Totally disagree. I was just there in March. They quickly figure out the capabilities of the drivers. I was there for the 500 on the first day and the 350 the second day. On the 500 day the group was pretty experienced. Guys like you Tom, coming in with their own suits, helmets, etc. On the track they divided this group quickly, a couple of guys one on one with the instructor and lapping the others. On the second day, the 350 day I was much faster than the rest and I was lucky enough to be one on one with the instructor. Believe me the instructors love the fast guys. I'm a novice for sure but we were moving and lapping the other groups. I had an absolute blast, especially on the 350 day. I would also like to point out that on the last lap or two I was so impressed with my instructor. He could tell I was getting tired as I started missing my marks and he was 100% right. Crazy these guys can be driving that fast and looking in their mirrors.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Totally disagree. I was just there in March. They quickly figure out the capabilities of the drivers. I was there for the 500 on the first day and the 350 the second day. On the 500 day the group was pretty experienced. Guys like you Tom, coming in with their own suits, helmets, etc. On the track they divided this group quickly, a couple of guys one on one with the instructor and lapping the others. On the second day, the 350 day I was much faster than the rest and I was lucky enough to be one on one with the instructor. Believe me the instructors love the fast guys. I'm a novice for sure but we were moving and lapping the other groups. I had an absolute blast, especially on the 350 day. I would also like to point out that on the last lap or two I was so impressed with my instructor. He could tell I was getting tired as I started missing my marks and he was 100% right. Crazy these guys can be driving that fast and looking in their mirrors.
Looking forward to it.

I dont believe you can bring your own helmets. The ones provided have communication built in.

EBTAGMOTO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Looking forward to it.

I dont believe you can bring your own helmets. The ones provided have communication built in.
Guys did, and they were able to use them. I just think your helmet needs to have the 3.5mm jack (not absolutely sure). They will check your helmet in the classroom to make sure it has the right plug. The radios are mounted on the watson cage and the cord to plug into your helmet hangs off of the left side of the drivers seat. So would probably be best if your plug on your helmet is on the left side. So in essence the helmets just have speakers and the comms are mounted on the cage. Helmets are receive only for participants.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Guys did, and they were able to use them. I just think your helmet needs to have the 3.5mm jack (not absolutely sure). They will check your helmet in the classroom to make sure it has the right plug. The radios are mounted on the watson cage and the cord to plug into your helmet hangs off of the left side of the drivers seat. So would probably be best if your plug on your helmet is on the left side. So in essence the helmets just have speakers and the comms are mounted on the cage. Helmets are receive only for participants.
I've never had comms built into my helmets.

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Did you do the 15th and 16th in march? I did those two dates for the 500 and 350 as well. And agree, after my first session they said I was too fast for my group and moved me.

fishpick

Threads
Reaction score
Part of NY w/ high taxes to support the other part
Vehicle(s)
0 mustangs owned currently
When I did Spring Mountain (the Corvette version of this) it was lead follow - and no matter how good anyone of us thought we were - they are better. They staffed with all former pro drivers and those guys drive that same track every single day for the program and then after hours for fun. The instructors know every single minor aspect of the track. no matter who it was or how good they were - the instructors outdrove them with a lesser car with ease.
Can you push them a few times - sure - and, at least at Spring Mountain, they were happy to oblige and then show you where you could be better in the next turn. And what @EBTAGMOTO said - they LOVE faster guys and split them into the fast guy group.

If you allegedly can outdrive your instructor at one of these types of learning environments - be sure to bring the video, cause I'd love to see it.

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
When I did Spring Mountain (the Corvette version of this) it was lead follow - and no matter how good anyone of us thought we were - they are better. They staffed with all former pro drivers and those guys drive that same track every single day for the program and then after hours for fun. The instructors know every single minor aspect of the track. no matter who it was or how good they were - the instructors outdrove them with a lesser car with ease.
Can you push them a few times - sure - and, at least at Spring Mountain, they were happy to oblige and then show you where you could be better in the next turn. And what @EBTAGMOTO said - they LOVE faster guys and split them into the fast guy group.

If you allegedly can outdrive your instructor at one of these types of learning environments - be sure to bring the video, cause I'd love to see it.
one of our instructors said it best "while you guys think you're going fast, remember, we're doing that while watching all of you in our mirror and talking"

EBTAGMOTO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Did you do the 15th and 16th in march? I did those two dates for the 500 and 350 as well. And agree, after my first session they said I was too fast for my group and moved me.
March 2nd and 3rd.
Sponsored