Sponsored

Going Racing. Well, kinda...

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I loved the freedom we had in Utah with the 350. I did the TA in Charlotte last fall and got lucky that due to covid, attendance was pretty small. I had one other driver and the instructor in my group, that's it. I don't know the track so it was great to see the instructor's line - and I think we got one of the best instructor's to boot. I asked him after the drag strip portion how close he'd let me get to his bumper on the road course and he said two car lengths. Challenge accepted.

Our guy told us that he'd turn up the wick as fast as we felt comfortable. I made sure to stick close and he opened it up all the way. One thing to be careful about for those of you that do this...coming off the banking on each end your instructor is going to brake very hard to set the car up for the infield and the turns to follow. Be aware so that you don't hit him from behind and always have a mental plan as to where you can go if need be. Lead follow can be a lot of fun if you aren't tied down to a group that runs slow due to a large number or a driver that slows the entire group down. The smaller the group the better.
Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I loved the freedom we had in Utah with the 350. I did the TA in Charlotte last fall and got lucky that due to covid, attendance was pretty small. I had one other driver and the instructor in my group, that's it. I don't know the track so it was great to see the instructor's line - and I think we got one of the best instructor's to boot. I asked him after the drag strip portion how close he'd let me get to his bumper on the road course and he said two car lengths. Challenge accepted.

Our guy told us that he'd turn up the wick as fast as we felt comfortable. I made sure to stick close and he opened it up all the way. One thing to be careful about for those of you that do this...coming off the banking on each end your instructor is going to brake very hard to set the car up for the infield and the turns to follow. Be aware so that you don't hit him from behind and always have a mental plan as to where you can go if need be. Lead follow can be a lot of fun if you aren't tied down to a group that runs slow due to a large number or a driver that slows the entire group down. The smaller the group the better.
Had a somewhat similar experience. My Day-2 group was a bit mismatched, so I got an opportunity to do two one-on-one sessions with an instructor. He told me to stay as close to his bumper as possible, especially on the infield: "Don't worry; I got you." Since this was day-2, I knew the track fairly well, but still exhilarating. My take away: the instructors are great and will take you as far as they safely can.

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Many Mustangs (collector)
In the first classroom session, they ask who has track experience and then set groups accordingly. My second time through, I was paired with 2 other avid “trackers.” We HAULED ASS! We lapped all other groups on the track and had a blast doing it.

Keep in mind Tom, you will be in base model cars on 4S tires, not your CFTP with SC2s. I found the limits of grip on multiple occasions, but the car is predictable/controllable.

This is an absolutely GREAT day... nothing but positive vibes! I have a video of the entire event on my ShelbyFlyer YouTube channel if anyone wants to see what they are in for.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
I can attest that they do a great job of separating the skill levels. After the first session, myself and two other guys were taken out with our own instructor for the rest of the day. We hauled ass, and lapped the others. It was an absolute blast, and I will never forget it.
Sponsored