Sponsored

Going Mak cat deletes (another exhaust thread)

VikingJoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Boy am I getting tired of messing with my exhaust lol, but here comes another change... I put in my order for Mak cat deletes this morning.

Where my car is at now: generic 2.5" x-pipe with GT500 mufflers. This is absolutely perfect for me as it is. Quiet when cruising with no drone but audible with a nice tone when on the throttle without being obnoxious.

I know the cat deletes are going to add tons of volume and rasp. I am trying to figure out how to keep the volume close to where I am at now. Any suggestions on how to get the exhaust like this? I am okay with it being slightly louder but I don't want to go back to obnoxious levels like it was with my Gibson exhaust.

I have been looking at the vibrant resonators but I feel they may not reduce the volume enough?

I have also looked at the Borla resonator that looks like a muffler. Will this make it too quiet? I definitely don't want to be quieter than where I am at now.

Help a brother out!
Sponsored

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Which GT500 mufflers are you running? I came from the S197 world where you could put the stock 2011+ GT500 axle backs directly on the factory after pipes with no changes. Would love to know more about what part number you are using and what mod needs to be made to make it happen (if any) because I am sick of the Roush axle back the previous owner put on this car with an Xpipe. THanks.

OP
OP
VikingJoe

VikingJoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
They are from a 2011.

They are not a direct fit though. They require quite a bit of welding to fit. It took my exhaust guy about an hour and a half to get them in perfectly.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Take this with a grain of salt as I have a V6, but I did a cat delete and added in a Magnaflow Tru-X (12468 is what you would want to keep 2.5" throughout, I now have a double x setup) which made it less raspy than it was before and about the same volume overall. I never did sound level measurements to give you a firm answer on whether it is truly louder or quieter though.

OP
OP
VikingJoe

VikingJoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Take this with a grain of salt as I have a V6, but I did a cat delete and added in a Magnaflow Tru-X (12468 is what you would want to keep 2.5" throughout, I now have a double x setup) which made it less raspy than it was before and about the same volume overall. I never did sound level measurements to give you a firm answer on whether it is truly louder or quieter though.
Thanks for the recommendation. Looks like they have them in stock at summit down the road from me so I will go look at one today.

Sponsored

Lai93gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lawrence
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Gt pp / 1993 Mustang Lx 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
If you don’t mind me asking: why are you making changes if you find that the exhaust note is already perfect?

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Boy am I getting tired of messing with my exhaust lol, but here comes another change... I put in my order for Mak cat deletes this morning.

Where my car is at now: generic 2.5" x-pipe with GT500 mufflers. This is absolutely perfect for me as it is. Quiet when cruising with no drone but audible with a nice tone when on the throttle without being obnoxious.

I know the cat deletes are going to add tons of volume and rasp. I am trying to figure out how to keep the volume close to where I am at now. Any suggestions on how to get the exhaust like this? I am okay with it being slightly louder but I don't want to go back to obnoxious levels like it was with my Gibson exhaust.

I have been looking at the vibrant resonators but I feel they may not reduce the volume enough?

I have also looked at the Borla resonator that looks like a muffler. Will this make it too quiet? I definitely don't want to be quieter than where I am at now.

Help a brother out!
I ran the GT500's on my 14 without cats and an H pipe. The tone was perfect. The afterpipes were stock. Those stock units had a resonator in them that would about 12-18" in length as memory serves. It would not be hard to find you a pair of stock 11-14 after pipes to cut up, and put those resonators in line. Just a thought since you have been so creative in making this setup work. Plenty of guys like me running FI were running the same drone free configuration which is why I was curious how you got the GT500 exhaust to work. I may end up following your lead on getting some GT500 mufflers welded in as well. Just waiting for springtime to focus more on it.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Vibrants actually do make a difference. Threw them on my ARH catted LTH + Corsa Xtreme setup. Night and day difference. Went 1794s to stay 3" throughout. These are the shorter ones if you went with the 18" style it would tame it even more.

Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Vibrants actually do make a difference. Threw them on my ARH catted LTH + Corsa Xtreme setup. Night and day difference. Went 1794s to stay 3" throughout. These are the shorter ones if you went with the 18" style it would tame it even more.
The vibrants don't reduce volume much, but they make a huge difference in rasp. They eliminated my rasp completely, and now I can enjoy the sound across the whole RPM range.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
The vibrants don't reduce volume much, but they make a huge difference in rasp. They eliminated my rasp completely, and now I can enjoy the sound across the whole RPM range.
I'd agree with you completely on the rasp but I also saw reduction in overall volume.

Reactions: Ebm
OP
OP
VikingJoe

VikingJoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I ended up buying the Magnaflow Tru-X since it seems like it will reduce volume the most.

I will post a before cat delete and post cat delete video when ever I make it to the shop to get it installed.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I'd agree with you completely on the rasp but I also saw reduction in overall volume.
+1

My Roush exhaust with LTHs was bananas. Put resonators on and it killed the rasp and quieted the exhaust more than I thought it would.

BigBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT - 10spd Auto, Performance Pack Lvl 1
In for results.
Sponsored